Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 05:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Honda 2000 built in.

I think the Honda generator and its equivalents are just brilliant, really hard to justify the cost of diesel built in genset when a little Honda can fill the needs of many boaters like me.

Just curious, has anyone built one of these into their boat taking into consideration the petrol (gas) issues ,or just mounted one permanently in the cockpit area ? any pictures?

I saw this neat little setup on Google.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191220-081849_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Views:	2860
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	205378
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 05:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

It’s been discussed several times, and pretty much everytime it comes down to there are several problems to overcome with exhaust and cooling air, but really I believe gasoline being down below and it’s associated safety issues kills it.
The beauty of a Honda to me is it’s simplisticity, it’s ease of maintenance, the fact that it takes pretty much no storage room.
If you built it in, it’s going to be complex with dealing with the cooling issues and exhaust, and it’s going to be difficult to service.
Mine sits on deck at my binnacle with a fabric cover, and if weather is going to be real bad then it gets ratchet strapped to the binnacle.
To use it I just put it on deck. This year I have a 6gl outboard tank as an extended run tank, I don’t need the extended run, but putting gas in it got old.
Outboard tank has a gauge, and I can dump in a whole 5 gl can and run for a couple of weeks.
I just used my spare outboard hose.

An issue with the neat container you pictured is salt spray. Maybe with the exhaust facing aft and removable covers for the air intake and exhaust?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 05:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I think the Honda generator and its equivalents are just brilliant, really hard to justify the cost of diesel built in genset when a little Honda can fill the needs of many boaters like me.

Just curious, has anyone built one of these into their boat taking into consideration the petrol (gas) issues ,or just mounted one permanently in the cockpit area ? any pictures?

I saw this neat little setup on Google.

Attachment 205378
They can be converted to Tri-fuel..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 06:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
They can be converted to Tri-fuel..
Propane down below is likely worse than gasoline, then add in propane by volume has less energy than gas so you need more of it, but the final straw is that when out cruising propane is far more difficult to find than gasoline, and several times more expensive. It’s not uncommon to pay as much as $20 per 10 lb tank, and that 10 lb tank is equal to about 2 gls of gasoline.
Then don’t forget what aluminum propane tanks cost.

Propane has its advantages, first it won’t gum up the carburetor and secondly it burns so clean that if you use very good synthetic oil, it would seem logical that you could greatly extend oil change intervals, propane forms essentially no carbon.
But it’s expensive and difficult to get when cruising.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 06:03   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't see why the exhaust and cooling can't be overcome in building an enclosure and I'm surprised no one is making one. even if that mean a built in fan powered by the Honda.

I'm going to search as I have nothing really more important to do
Old 20-12-2019, 06:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The tidy little picture pretty well sums up the situation. It's mounted so that neither exhaust nor spilled gasoline goes into the boat, and it is weather protected. Nice! It give me ideas about mounting my baby genset, which is gasoline, for when I don't want the rumble of the larger diesel genset.
Old 20-12-2019, 06:11   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm going to search as I have nothing really more important to do
Heck there are lots of enclosures out there for the Hondas. There are even threads here where they have worked:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0-a-50771.html
Old 20-12-2019, 06:14   #8
CLOD

$600

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti.../dp/B06X1853L6
Old 20-12-2019, 06:30   #9
CLOD

another successful link of a boat making one

Honda 2000 Enclosure - Trawler Forum
Old 20-12-2019, 06:37   #10

Sailorboy your a google jedi, or I'm just very below average..lol.
Old 20-12-2019, 06:38   #11

I use the Cruisers forum app, the search really sucks, even that link you sent just takes me to the electrical generator section with a million threads...grrrrrrrrr.
Old 20-12-2019, 06:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Generator Safety:
“... Never install a portable generator permanently or make unauthorised modifications that are not supported by the manufacturer, or proprietary component supplier.
Never run generators on the boat, or on the bank near to doors, vents, windows and hatches. If you can smell exhaust fumes in the boat, it could mean the cabin is also filling with deadly carbon monoxide.
Never refuel any generator anywhere aboard the boat; take it to the bank and ensure you are a safe distance from other boats and potential sources of ignition...”
https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/sta...erator-safety/

Fueling Tips (various sources):
“... Always refill your portable fuel containers on the pavement or dock to ensure a good ground. While the bed of your truck or the deck of your boat may seem stable, static electricity can build up and cause a spark...”
“... All portable fuel tanks must be filled off of the boat. Once filled, store portable fuel tanks onboard in a well-ventilated area away from the engine and electrical equipment...”
“... All portable tanks must be filled off the boat while refuelling, to prevent spillage onto the boat, to protect the environment and to reduce the risk of fire or explosion...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 06:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Generator Safety:
“... Never install a portable generator permanently or make unauthorised modifications that are not supported by the manufacturer, or proprietary component supplier.
Never run generators on the boat, or on the bank near to doors, vents, windows and hatches. If you can smell exhaust fumes in the boat, it could mean the cabin is also filling with deadly carbon monoxide.
Never refuel any generator anywhere aboard the boat; take it to the bank and ensure you are a safe distance from other boats and potential sources of ignition...”
https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/sta...erator-safety/

Fueling Tips (various sources):
“... Always refill your portable fuel containers on the pavement or dock to ensure a good ground. While the bed of your truck or the deck of your boat may seem stable, static electricity can build up and cause a spark...”
“... All portable fuel tanks must be filled off of the boat. Once filled, store portable fuel tanks onboard in a well-ventilated area away from the engine and electrical equipment...”
“... All portable tanks must be filled off the boat while refuelling, to prevent spillage onto the boat, to protect the environment and to reduce the risk of fire or explosion...”
Gord, thanks , but in the real world there are thousands of Hondas on boats and of course they get filled while on the boat. Theres also thousands of outboards and gas filled Gerry cans.

Many cruisers are very capable people, if they weren't they could go around the world on a sailboat, very few if any blow themselves up with the Honda.

So let's not go there, how about we just stick to the question asked.
Old 20-12-2019, 06:54   #14

At what point don't you just give up and install a westerbeke 3.5kw? The time and effort to convert an aircooled 2k suitcase generator into water cooled, properly exhausted onboard model would be like reinventing the wheel. There would be significant custom fabrication involved.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 06:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
At what point don't you just give up and install a westerbeke 3.5kw? The time and effort to convert an aircooled 2k suitcase generator into water cooled, properly exhausted onboard model would be like reinventing the wheel. There would be significant custom fabrication involved.
It's just a mental exercise, who knows someone may of come up with a simple, cheap elegant way of doing it.

Personally I agree with A64's first post, the simplicity of the Honda as portable is its strength BUT no harm in investigating options.

Tags
grass, honda