Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2019, 06:04   #286

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Fuel doesn’t fall when filling a car, it runs down the fuel tank neck, not fall.
And if you look on the Internet you’ll See that while rare there are quit a few fires.
Most of them caused from the static of the person themselves going to sit in the car then coming back and grabbing the fuel nozzle. It’s felt that if they grabbed the car first there would be no spark.
The overwhelming number of fires were with Women, it’s theorized they are more likely to sit in the car when the tank is filling and therefore may pick up a static charge.
https://www.salina.com/lifestyle/201...ctricity-fires

There were also quite a few fires from filling portable tanks in the back of pickups with plastic bed liners, from you guessed it, static

Interesting. I didn't understand the term "fall" the way you intended it. I guess the fuel doesn't fall filling a boat's main tank either then, at least not normally, since the tank isn't located at the extreme outboard edge where the fuel fill is. Maybe that's what makes it safe to fill boats.

As to the portable tanks, yes. Lots of fires filling those in truck beds. Many gas stations require them to be put on the ground for fill. This makes them the same potential as the pump apparently?

Works the same way filling portable tanks on my main boat deck I'd assume too. But trying to fill from one boat to another sounds like a recipie for static. As well as trying to fill from a land pump to a floating boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 07:01   #287

Quote:
And if you look on the Internet you’ll See that while rare there are quite a few fires.
Most of them caused from the static of the person themselves going to sit in the car then coming back and grabbing the fuel nozzle. It’s felt that if they grabbed the car first there would be no spark.
The overwhelming number of fires were with Women, it’s theorized they are more likely to sit in the car when the tank is filling and therefore may pick up a static charge.
Hahaha Yes, women are explosive and should be handled with care. Most likely it happened while busy chatting using the mobile phone. I could think of some more explosive conditions.
Are there any statistics on blond, red, brown or black hair

Haha YeYe, we better make sure there is some juice in the wires while she is cooking or who knows how that story might end.

Old 26-12-2019, 07:18   #288
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Interesting. I didn't understand the term "fall" the way you intended it. I guess the fuel doesn't fall filling a boat's main tank either then, at least not normally, since the tank isn't located at the extreme outboard edge where the fuel fill is. Maybe that's what makes it safe to fill boats.

As to the portable tanks, yes. Lots of fires filling those in truck beds. Many gas stations require them to be put on the ground for fill. This makes them the same potential as the pump apparently?

Works the same way filling portable tanks on my main boat deck I'd assume too. But trying to fill from one boat to another sounds like a recipie for static. As well as trying to fill from a land pump to a floating boat.
Constantly refilling the Honda and the resultant small spills had me concerned, that’s why this year I’m going to use the 6gl outboard tank as the fuel tank. Haven’t decided if I’ll just take it in to be refueled at the station / dock or use the 5 gl cans, most likely do both.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 07:19   #289
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
Hahaha Yes, women are explosive and should be handled with care. Most likely it happened while busy chatting using the mobile phone. I could think of some more explosive conditions.
Are there any statistics on blond, red, brown or black hair

Haha YeYe, we better make sure there is some juice in the wires while she is cooking or who knows how that story might end.

Different type of volatile involved in fueling cars. ( trust me 3 ex wives all red heads ) the most volatile of all colors.)

As to fueling cars and static women are more likely to be wearing clothing that is synthetic. As opposed to men wearing mainly natural fiber clothing.
Old 26-12-2019, 08:46   #290
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Most of them caused from the static of the person themselves going to sit in the car then coming back and grabbing the fuel nozzle. It’s felt that if they grabbed the car first there would be no spark.

There were also quite a few fires from filling portable tanks in the back of pickups with plastic bed liners, from you guessed it, static
Indeed.

The Petroleum Equipment Institute (PEI) began investigating mysterious refueling fires in the mid-1990s. We learned that static electricity —the same thing that shocks you after you drag your feet on the carpet— can ignite gasoline vapors at the pump.
https://www.pei.org/static

Fires at Refueling Sites That Appear To Be Static Related – Summary
https://www.pei.org/sites/default/fi..._incidents.pdf

ESD Journal - Static Fires
ESD Journal - Auto Refueling Fires

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 07:22   #291

I bought the highest quality plastic tote I could find at Walmart. One with a locking lid.

I cut open panels on each end so the generator can breath and exhale and dropped it inside. Locked the top.

The generator is safe from the elements and runs in any weather no problem.
refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 07:47   #292

Generator-line.com makes a kit for this purpose which I have used for Years.. the Honda 2000 etc. has a cooling fan that allows you to vent the exhaust, diluted by cooling air out of an insulated hush box. Add the remote fuel set up with an outboard tank and you are good to go. very very quiet. Both on boats and RV. Currently restoring a Colvin Gazelle and this will go on the huge back deck in front of the davits.

I still keep the thing outside but affixed to the back deck in an aluminum or ABS box. AND use propane or gasoline as needed.
Garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 08:27   #293

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have a 3kw diesel generator . I will give away free to anyone who wants that come next to me and lift it out. I will even toss in the water lift and 2 exhaust mufflers. Might even throw in some spare parts.

If you were in New Orleans I would have a look at it, yeah. My Bruce Roberts needs a genset.
Old 27-12-2019, 08:30   #294

Boat: Westsail 42 Ketch

We use a Honda 2000 on our Westsail 42 to power the water maker and to charge the batteries (we don't want to use the Yanmar unless moving). We keep it on deck in a water-resistant "bag" we made with lined sunbrella fabric from Sailrite. It sits on the aft deck and can be lashed down when underway. When we use it it sits on the aft deck and exhausts over the stern with the prevailing wind. Note: we keep the ports and hatches on the aft cabin. We do not recommend building it in for reasons of exhaust, gas fumes, and other than the engine room (no way in there!), there is no good space. The Honda 2000 works great, is easy to maintain, and costs way less than a built in genes.
Captain Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 08:32   #295

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I like the Hondas but I have a 2kw Ryobi (actually 1600w) presently, very dependable and trouble free. A topside installation would be okay but the hassle of venting, cooling, etc of a belowdeck installation along with the danger of gasoline fumes clearly points to a diesel generator for a fixed, below decks installation. YMMV.
Old 27-12-2019, 08:34   #296

Boat: Wellcraft, Sportsman, 27’

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
^^^

Recent posts, especially by one particular member, are getting off topic again.
It would be nice if you flew a B Bravo Flag ... indicating Danger
Znightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 08:59   #297
Marine Service Provider

A lot of people have died doing things like this.

There are a number of relevant accident investigation reports published by the UK MAIB.

In one example IIRC the deceased had attached an exhaust pipe to the petrol generator but the exhaust nozzle was not designed to have anything attached to it. The nozzle fractured due to vibration fatigue and allowed carbon monoxide to escape. Carbon monoxide has no smell. Death followed quickly.

If you have any kind of petrol engine on board IT IS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE A CO DETECTOR.

There are also two recent cases in the UK of a petrol engine on one boat causing fumes to enter an open hatch on another nearby boat, causing death within.

I have a petrol generator and it is portable. I always put it on the downwind corner of the deck with the exhaust pointing downwind. This is still very risky in case the wind changes or drops, autopilot fails, back eddy of wind, etc. It should always be watched, never left unattended running.

Petrol generators on board are inherently unsafe because of the carbon monoxide. They are not designed to be have an exhaust attached and there is no safe way to attach one. Even if the exhaust is led overboard it can still blow back.

Still I use one very occasionally because a diesel generator would be impossible to fit. I am incredibly cautious about it and watch the wind constantly.

IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF PETROL (GASOLINE) ENGINE ON BOARD IT IS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE A CO DETECTOR ON BOARD. Preferably one in each cabin.
this includes outboards. A forgotten outboard left ticking over alongside can fill the cabin with CO.
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:12   #298

Hey folks, a beautiful anchorage at sun-downer time. Maybe the soft splut splut of an inboard diesel genset. Then. . . . some philistine fires up the Honda generator . . tranquility gone. Would not have one!
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:29   #299

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

The beauty of the portable genset is that it's portable. Use it for cruising, on shore partying, at home after hurricane, etc. I have next larger size Honda 2800, my 30 amp shore cord fits, no mods, it rides under cockpit table with cover, fuel stored in sugar scoop of Hunter 35.5, sips fuel, no plumbing, enjoy life with a bit of electricity to make coffee, keep cabin warm or cool, charge batteries...be happy.
SV Toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:29   #300

I know how popular the Honda generators are, HOWEVER, everyone should consider these small issues:

1. No approved marine exhaust system.
2. No approved marine fuel system.
3. They produce an extraordinary amount of Carbon Monoxide.
4. I've surveyed many vessels that had these onboard, but never have I seen one with a proper ground system installed.properly.

What will your insurance say if someone dies because of one of these and their heirs sue you? It's like that good old propane water heater, use them at your own risk, they can be deadly.
garyfrankovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, honda