Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 07:03   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
At what point don't you just give up and install a westerbeke 3.5kw? The time and effort to convert an aircooled 2k suitcase generator into water cooled, properly exhausted onboard model would be like reinventing the wheel. There would be significant custom fabrication involved.
at about $10,000

in the past 3 years I've spent more fixing my 3kw pos diesel generator than the cost of a Honda that does 75% of what it could
Old 20-12-2019, 07:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
at about $10,000

in the past 3 years I've spent more fixing my 3kw pos diesel generator than the cost of a Honda that does 75% of what it could
I'm not arguing the merits of a Honda 2K. I've used one for about 12 years now. My diesel generator is also ballast. I should have clarified. I was responding specifically to some of the discussion of attempting to convert a Honda to a onboard install.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 07:48   #18
CLOD

Since you always need to get to pull cord of a honda 2000, if will never be an “installed” generator

Doesnt mean it cant be a more permanent mounted generator
Old 20-12-2019, 07:56   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Since you always need to get to pull cord of a honda 2000, if will never be an “installed” generator

Doesnt mean it cant be a more permanent mounted generator
That's more what I'm getting at.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 08:54   #20

Boat: Maine Cat 38

It seems a reasonable setup might be a vented locker with a drain, that is not connected to the boat interior. Similar to a propane locker, but big enough to fit the generator. A flexible exhaust can fitted to the generator and routed overboard. Then open the hatch on the box to pull the starter and power on.

Such a box could be built from foam and fiberglass. Just need to find a spot for it. Possibly could be a subdivision of a cockpit locker?
Old 20-12-2019, 08:59   #21

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

You can buy an extended run kit from Pinella for my Predator Honda knock off
https://www.pinellaspowerproducts.co...time-fuel-kit/
Excellent kit and superb support!
The kit allows you to run with Predator's own tank empty drawing only from your extended run (outboard type 6 gallon) tank which you can disconnect and store wherever. The exhaust is as simple as whatever you have/had for the diesel genny to exhaust through. I hooked up my Predator knock off through the Marine/RV type female plug on the genny to the boat system just like hooking up tp dock power.
Cheap and much better than diesel for cost.
Old 20-12-2019, 09:01   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
at about $10,000

I think I have about $6K all in on my Nexgen 3.5.
Yes, that is 6 Honda’s and it will never last as long as 6 Honda’s but it will also run the entire boat, where it takes two Honda’s to do that.
For the Record I started out with two Honda’s which work, But was a real PIA. Fine for people who rarely move, but not at all the generator to use when your traveling most every day.
The two led me to buying and installing the Nexgen. Later I bought another Honda for those times when I really don’t need the extra power of the Nexgen and to save hours on it, the Honda is just so easy to service, the built in generator requires me to climb into the Lazarette, which of course means first to empty it, then fold myself into a shape small enough to get into it, add in its a hot day, and it becomes more work than ai want to do. The Honda just open the oil filler plug, screw in the little funnel you buy, tip it on its side to drain oil, pour in the measured amount that it holds and your done, 5 min tops and no climbing into tight spaces etc.

If you build or buy an enclosure and install the Honda, now your crawling into that small hole and I assume removing the Honda to service it and re-installing it. Forget the safety issues of flammable gasoline below decks, to me it removes the advantage of a Honda, and that is ease of use and servicing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 09:10   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
It seems a reasonable setup might be a vented locker with a drain, that is not connected to the boat interior. Similar to a propane locker, but big enough to fit the generator. A flexible exhaust can fitted to the generator and routed overboard. Then open the hatch on the box to pull the starter and power on.

Such a box could be built from foam and fiberglass. Just need to find a spot for it. Possibly could be a subdivision of a cockpit locker?
I've seen a guy build a petrol/gas tank in the aft, worked well.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 09:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I was just thinking of this in regards to heat onboard for cruising the S island of NZ.

I believe Evans Stargizer(spelling) used a Honda in the cabin somehow when cruising S America. Somewhat different than OPs question but did involve some type of stainless exhaust. Also unsure of oxygen consumption problems.
Old 20-12-2019, 09:33   #25

Boat: Outbound 44

Dale,
The small Hondas are cheap, often easy to replace, have no complicated install needs and charge your batteries when solar can't. If they break, then replace it. If you want something more permanent then install a diesel genset below deck. If you pick a good one, they will outlast your life on the boat. They are far quieter and less likely to annoy your neighbors. They don't require petrol and yes they are safer. They lend themselves to a proper install.
Old 20-12-2019, 09:39   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
At what point don't you just give up and install a westerbeke 3.5kw?

for some: there's a lot of difference between a portable honda and a 200 lb. westerbeke that must be installed below deck.
Old 20-12-2019, 10:02   #27

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Gord, thanks , but in the real world there are thousands of Hondas on boats and of course they get filled while on the boat. Theres also thousands of outboards and gas filled Gerry cans.
THREAD DRIFT (Because I just learned this.)

They are called Jerry Cans (or jerrycans) and are named after the slang for Germans in WW2. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan) Seems the Germans perfected the the design and was a much sought-after item by the Allies.
Old 20-12-2019, 10:44   #28
CLOD

Some seem to be blind locked into thinking others are talking installing the Honda down below. But i think we are just talking ways to mount it above deck to make it quieter and protect it better at same time. Ive currently got mine strapped to top of a stern locker behind the cockpit. I wouldn't m d not having to remember to put the cover back on after it cools or with it being quieter.
Old 20-12-2019, 10:49   #29

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Rather than the expense of Starboard, the box could be built for less than $100 using 3/8" - 3/4" thick 4x8 Azek PVC panels from any big box home supply like Home Depot or Lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Build...Board/50393486
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 10:57   #30

Quote:
Heck there are lots of enclosures out there for the Hondas. There are even threads here where they have worked:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0-a-50771.html
Something like at the link above looks like a good design that can attach to the aft pulpit that is completely enclosed for when the generator is not in use and is outboard so when adding gasoline there is less risk and less risk of a spill in the deck or cockpit. Then for when in use all but the bottom panel that supports and the side panel that attaches to the pulpit comes off off for cooling. You could even have a quick release that holds the enclosure to the pulpit so if the generator ever caught fire, presto, the generator and enclosure can be released straight into the "drink". Add a 5ft exhaust extension that are available that are specially made for Honda portable generators that can go further outboard. When at anchor if there is any wind at all the exhaust with CO will go astern. A good option is convert to tri fuel and use propane if possible to keep internal parts from gumming up and to avoid having to mess with gasoline. If you use propane for cooking and have a stern locker for the tank you can have a valve, cut off and gas line the same as for your propane stove. If you convert to tri fuel, if necessary, you can use gasoline if propane or natural gas is not available.

All the above being said, depending on how the trade offs stack up for each individual, a built in 3.5 KW diesel generator my be better for $10K.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, honda