Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 07:58   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Navigating Lagoons price list - Engines and Props

One more.

Engines. I assume upgrading from the 40HP's to the 57HP's is a no brainer. But is there any downside with having the larger engine? Why do they offer 2 different ones ?

Second question Folding Props.

Worth it ? Never used them so no clue. For Euro:2600 odd want to be worthwhile.
Also, even if want them, are the ones supplied from Lagoon the best ones to get ?

There seems to be a LOT of markup on the extras....

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 15:40   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca
Re: Navigating Lagoons price list - Engines and Props

Why upgrade the engines? 40hp is quite adequate. Downside is of course more weight, cost, fuel consumption etc., All that for a knot or 2. Not worth considering in my view. You can push the hulls through the water with more power but as you do your efficiency drops. We motor on 1 at 6kts plus. Doesn't go that much faster on 2.

Folding props yes. Lots on the market so I'd enquire as to the brand before buying the factory option. Easily added later.

BUT... we have folding props and for a time we had the factory 2 blade fixed installed while we serviced the folding ones. Not that big a difference in sailing performance. So you'd have to say "non-essential" mod. But I still like the folding ones.

Bob
CASABLANCA L420 #86
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 15:56   #3

Boat: Lagoon, 52

I still think it's better to get the biggest engines the manufacturer offers. You never know when you'll really need it. It's not that much more expensive relatively speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 15:56   #4

Oh and by the way, two thumbs up for the folding props.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-05-2016, 21:29   #5

I'd go for the 57 HP engines. Better for motoring on a single engine, and good to have reserve grunt for the rare occasions when you really need it.

Downside is that Yanmar 57 hp is a common rail diesel. More modern, efficient, higher fuel pressures and potentially a slight bit more likely to give reliability issues, as opposed to the 40hp which is more "old school". Service costs a bit higher. Engine room space will become a bit tighter.

Another vote for folding props. Less drag, particularly at higher sailing speeds. Make sure you get fixed blade props as spares. My Lagoon came with Flexofolds, which are excellent quality.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 21:37   #6

Thanks Guys,

So easiest is to get the Boat with the Fixed Props as standard.
Then fit folding later, and stick the fixed in the draw as spares.

Still in two minds about the engine upgrade, but leaning towards the 57.

Generally I'd say More HP = Good when really need it. It is a dirt cheap upgrade on purchase, and a super expensive one later !
But downsides mentioned are all good points tho.

Regards
Old 30-05-2016, 05:50   #7

Boat: Lagoon 42

The Yanmar rep at the Miami boatshow had a 40hp and a 57 on display. I asked him about the differences in the two engines, as I, like you, was contemplating the engine choices for our Lagoon 42. As it turns out, it is the same block, just a different injector pump and injectors. Not sure if the engine is rated for HP at the same RPM, but it is the same basic engine. There is no difference in weight, but there will be additional fuel usage of course. I think the upgrade from 40 to the 57's was something like 1400 dollars. Go with the larger engines.
The folding props we did not add to ours, but I may do so. I know that folding props add at least a half knot when sailing, maybe more. That doesn't sound like much until you think about a 16 hour overnighter, then that extra knot or so means a few hours! This can give you more range and a better margin for safety with the extra speed. The other thing is, adding folding props later is expensive. Pricing out two of these things, you could buy a decent used car. The factory option is pretty reasonable actually, a lot less than you can buy them for after the fact. The fixed two blade props are relatively cheap, we replaced ours on our Manta cat and I think they were around five hundred for the pair. If you want spares, or even a single as a spare, you could buy a fixed two blade cheap and keep it in a locker wrapped in bubble wrap. We are probably going to add the factory folding props, but as mentioned earlier, it depends on the brand, as some are problematic.
Chris
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If it's the same block then the upgraded engines shouldn't even be a question.

Folding props are one of the best upgrades any boat can make. They give almost as much thrust in forward, far better reverse performance, reduce prop walk, and make the boat sail faster. It's a lot of upside with very little down (except cost).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:22   #9

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
If it's the same block then the upgraded engines shouldn't even be a question.

Folding props are one of the best upgrades any boat can make. They give almost as much thrust in forward, far better reverse performance, reduce prop walk, and make the boat sail faster. It's a lot of upside with very little down (except cost).
Plus 1 On the folding props. I have Autoprops and store my fixed two blades for emergency use. The first time you have 25kts on the stern and need to bring the cat to a stop you'll praise your reverse thrusting props.
The 57hp does use a bit more fuel but not much. Running less rpm's in to a blow makes sense to me. No extra weight for 25% more power at a minimal cost, no brainier.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 14:40   #10

Thanks all.

1. I'll go with the upgraded engine, seems a no Brainer in this model (L42)

2. Will find out the brand of the folding props, but most likley do them later I suspect. Need to find price of after-market ones however.

Regards
Old 30-05-2016, 15:09   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Thanks all.

1. I'll go with the upgraded engine, seems a no Brainer in this model (L42)

2. Will find out the brand of the folding props, but most likley do them later I suspect. Need to find price of after-market ones however.

Regards
Manufacturer prices are almost always inflated... But there is a trade off, even if the upgrade costs more than it should, you aren't having to buy two $500 fixed props that have exactly zero resale value.

Keeping a spare prop for a cat is silly by the way, you already have a spare installed on the other engine. It's only monohulls that really should consider carrying a spare.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:24   #12

I have a spare 'at sea' on the other hull, yes. But, when cruising away from the madding crowd, as we intend to do, just coming into a port don't mean any access to a chandlery or a spare. Spare prop is something I'd carry regardless. but only one.

May yet get folding from factory, will see how the accessories play out.
Each accessory in their own right isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, but in combination, they add up FAST.

One 'Engine' I'm NOT buying is a Genset. We're on a mission to stay away from that, instead planning a fairly serious solar setup.

Thanks for all the tips.

Regards
Old 30-05-2016, 15:44   #13

I don't think my wife would have let me buy the boat without a Genset. That said, we bought both the solar panels and the Genset. There's 8 panels across the cabin top in front of the mast. I have to admit, our boat is more on the condomaran side but we're taking the kids out of school for a year or two so comfort was important.

Fair Winds,

Laguna Red
S/v Summer Kai
Lagoon 52 Hull #93

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-05-2016, 21:32   #14

I'm planning on avoiding the Genset by having a 2kw Solar Install, LiFEPO4, high power Inverter and related bits. This is a separate project and follows what several others here have done to their 400's and 450's.
Note: We dont' plan on having AC.

Its the wife pushing back on the Genset actually, wants to see if we can go green (renewable), and at the same time power all the kitchen goodies.

Will see...
Old 31-05-2016, 05:18   #15

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Hi Catapault

If you are undecided about the genset, and if you intend to take delivery at Les Sables, I recommend having the handover crew at Les Sables install skin fittings and seacocks to enable you to install a gen set later without hauling her out. The extra cost for this is minimal (can be negotiated as part of the deal).

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
I'm planning on avoiding the Genset by having a 2kw Solar Install, LiFEPO4, high power Inverter and related bits. This is a separate project and follows what several others here have done to their 400's and 450's.
Note: We dont' plan on having AC.

Its the wife pushing back on the Genset actually, wants to see if we can go green (renewable), and at the same time power all the kitchen goodies.

Will see...
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, lagoon, price