Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 12:19   #556

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

how do you fill the tank and remove all air from tank after all done ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:46   #557

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

7 month old element:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	163683

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	163684

End of element:

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	163685

Cleaned up and will have to do until I can replace it.

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	163686
Old 07-02-2018, 12:57   #558

The tank emptied fast enough when I managed to undo the element. Then to empty all the rusty brown water out I had to turn the tank upside down.

I’m guessing there is meant to be an anode!

I am not sure why Lagoon would not simply send me a new element. Or even suggest I remove the element and check it. Or, even send and engineer to my boat to check the element!

Very disappointed in Lagoon at this point.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:59   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
how do you fill the tank and remove all air from tank after all done ?

I opened the hot tap a little to let air escape and then turned the water pump back on. It goes without saying, don’t heat the element until the tank is full of water.
Old 07-02-2018, 13:10   #560

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Well done on finding a wrench, my engineer had to fashion a makeshift one in his workshop!
Re the element and warranty, Ancasta look after all of my issues and have done for previous boats - I’d be really pee’d off with my dealer if they were not nipping problems like this in the bud.

Not wanting to rub salt in but when my element failed they sent two to me so that I had a spare, and covered the cost of the engineer; you should expect more from your dealer imho
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 13:15   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
Well done on finding a wrench, my engineer had to fashion a makeshift one in his workshop!

Re the element and warranty, Ancasta look after all of my issues and have done for previous boats - I’d be really pee’d off with my dealer if they were not nipping problems like this in the bud.

Not wanting to rub salt in but when my element failed they sent two to me so that I had a spare, and covered the cost of the engineer; you should expect more from your dealer imho

It’s not rubbing salt in the wound at all but let’s see if Lagoon Dubai, Harel Yachts in St Martin and Lagoon in France are reading this.

I DO expect more!

Thankfully I’ve got CF who offer 1,000,000 times better support than the people I gave half a million euros to.
Old 10-02-2018, 14:58   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Thankfully I’ve got CF who offer 1,000,000 times better support than the people I gave half a million euros to.
Dave,
Lots of credit to you too. Remember that you are the one who initiated this thread, which has turned into such an amazing database!

As a reward, Sail Magazine US, March version posted a picture of you and Haley dancing (page 16, in their article about the ARC) ;-)

c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 15:44   #563

Quote "As a reward, Sail Magazine US, March version posted a picture of you and Haley dancing (page 16, in their article about the ARC)"

A picture of Dave dancing, why are we all being punished just to reward him. In Haley's words "don't dance for the camera Dave"

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:05   #564

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Dave,
We’ve been watching your vlog, thanks for all the effort that goes into that...are you going to be going into detail about crew for ARC, we are crossing in November, ARC +), and we need to start thinking about crew:

Do we really need
How was your watch system managed
Did you use family and friends or did you use crew finder et al

If you get time to give your thoughts on this I’d be grateful, if you’d rather PM then let me know.

Many thanks, keep up the good work and both of you hurry up and put on some weight, you’re making us all feel bad

Nigel
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:07   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-reel View Post
Dave,

Lots of credit to you too. Remember that you are the one who initiated this thread, which has turned into such an amazing database!

As a reward, Sail Magazine US, March version posted a picture of you and Haley dancing (page 16, in their article about the ARC) ;-)

Cyril, what pic? We’ve no idea??
Old 12-02-2018, 14:47   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post

A picture of Dave dancing, why are we all being punished just to reward him. In Haley's words "don't dance for the camera Dave"

I hear ya and totally agree! [emoji1]
Old 12-02-2018, 16:01   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimnrp View Post
Dave,

We’ve been watching your vlog, thanks for all the effort that goes into that...are you going to be going into detail about crew for ARC, we are crossing in November, ARC +), and we need to start thinking about crew:

Do we really need

How was your watch system managed

Did you use family and friends or did you use crew finder et al

If you get time to give your thoughts on this I’d be grateful, if you’d rather PM then let me know.

Many thanks, keep up the good work and both of you hurry up and put on some weight, you’re making us all feel bad

Nigel

Firstly, thanks and I think the Caribbean beers may be helping with the weight issue [emoji6].

We are only a couple of videos away from our crossing episode so hopefully we will cover all your questions (I’ll take note now and make sure we cover it).

Most importantly. We wholly recommend the arc and are so pleased we did it and learned so much in the process. The only negatives are November is quite early to depart and having a fixed departure date. From my point of view, it’s worth putting up with the negatives to have the support of another 200 boats that all had to meet the same safety criterion that you will. Plus you’ll learn so much from the other crews before you depart.

Crew: we went for a crew of 5 which is a great number for our boat and really easy watch wise. We took 2 guys I work with plus 1 girl recommended by a friend of ours.

We can single hand our boat no problem so I opted for single watches and if needed we wake up the next on shift. I counted on a 20 day crossing so every 4 days I rotated the shifts forward so nobody got stuck in a crap shift. It worked perfectly! You’ll need to wind the clock back so we did 1 hour at lunchtime when it’s no hardship and spread it over 4 days. You’re prob wondering hour 12 hours divides into 5? 4x 2.5hr shift and 1x 2hr shift. I made the 2hr shift from 06:00-08:00 / 18:00-20:00 and that shift washed up after evening meal and cleaned the solar panels in the morning. I didn’t come across anyone else using this shift pattern but it 100% worked for us. Lots of time off and meant that nobody was tired during the day so we all ate together every day before sunset. We also reefed the main before dark every day. (If it wasn’t already at reef 2!)

I’m impressed you’re planning this early Nigel, we didn’t even think about the crossing until 6 weeks before! Hope this helps.

Oh. 1 more thing and the most important.... buy as much as you possibly can of anything you want before you leave Europe. Even if you can get it over here, it’ll cost between double and 10x!
Old 12-02-2018, 19:05   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
We are only a couple of videos away from our crossing episode so hopefully we will cover all your questions (I’ll take note now and make sure we cover it).
Can you put a link to videos I'd like to check them out, thanks.
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 19:17   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetracks View Post
Hi All

Thanks Dave will do.

Signed up to a few online marine suppliers for comparisons.

I have settled for the SPINLOCK DECKVEST 5D PRO SENSOR 170N with BALISE S20 SMARTFIND AIS devices.

With reference the approval of life jackets and other safety equipment for pleasure craft.

Is it not the country where your boat is registered that sets the compliance standard for onboard safety equipment?

regards
George
I heard that the cartridges are inside the bladder meaning they must be shipped back to manufacturer for service / inspection ...that sounds like a p.i.t.a.
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 07:02   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRYOWEN View Post
Can you put a link to videos I'd like to check them out, thanks.

Here’s our channel link, there’s a fair bit of Lagoon info spread across the vids:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2n...yaWMkBYpnNN1Rg