Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 19:04   #286

Boat: L42
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Looking great, you guys must be about to bust with excitement! I am very jealous.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 19:40   #287

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Looking Good!
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:16   #288

Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

She's floating!!! Pics curtesy of the amazing Hayley who is doing all this on her own. 😘
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	151259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	151260  

davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:40   #289

Boat: 1980 Aloha 34

Proud of you guys. Really appreciate the step-by-step.

Hope to be there some day.
BionicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:22   #290

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Such a nice boat, I can imagine you've probable got the biggest grin on your face everytime you see the pics, you'll have so many good times with her. What did you call the boat? And don't forget to remove the price tag she's that new.

Going through the process takes quite some time if not years for many and it can seem so surreal and then all of a sudden your dream is reality. I'm in that place at the moment! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Slotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:18   #291

Thanks all,

There's plenty more pics and daily stories my wife is posting on Instgram.

TheDaleyAdventure
DaveDinDubai
HayleyCooper86

You're welcome to follow, she's loving making the stories.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35   #292

Hey Dave. Just wondering who you got to do the coppercoat?
Cheers
Dave
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:24   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingKiwis View Post
Hey Dave. Just wondering who you got to do the coppercoat?
Cheers
Dave
Thomas at Yacht Care Services did the commissioning for us. Which includes fitting the bimini roof, handrails, mast, boom, sails, all rigging, anchor plus chain, dinghy, cockpit surrounds, launching and delivery around to the Lagoon berths.

He even allowed us to stay onboard while the boat was in his yard which made moving onboard so much easier. Stocking a big cat is a big job, especially if you have to carry everything from the car down to a marina berth. We did it all while she was on the hard, direct from the boot of a car / van (multiple cars and vans actually) to the boat.

Thomas had 4 guys complete the copper coat in 1 day. It was hot and sunny. They cleaned and masked up first then completed each coat in less than 90 mins I think. I was present but doing other things as well. I didn't see the final coat go on as I'd left the boat by then and all I've seen since is photos but my wife has ok'd it and she's more of a perfectionist than I am. She ensured the guys added standard anti foul to the 4 squares that the boat was sitting on when they lifted it onto the lorry. These areas are approx 8" wide so not a big deal. We also made sure that no water was run out any of the thru holes for 48 hours until launch. I couldn't recommend Yacht Care Services enough, they were great to deal with.

As a side note, my wife hates the colour. Both the red it is now and the green it will go which may be important to some but I put my foot down on the cc and the subsea part of the boat is most definitely my territory so she doesn't argue. I quote "it's ruined the boat".
Old 09-07-2017, 03:50   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotty View Post
Such a nice boat, I can imagine you've probable got the biggest grin on your face everytime you see the pics, you'll have so many good times with her. What did you call the boat? And don't forget to remove the price tag she's that new.

Going through the process takes quite some time if not years for many and it can seem so surreal and then all of a sudden your dream is reality. I'm in that place at the moment! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Boats and dreams cause 2 things in abundance... smiles and tears and this journey has had plenty of both for sure!

She's called Susan Ann II.
Our first boat was named after my mother that passed away so naturally we wanted to continue with the name.

I can't quite believe this myself but we pulled this off in 7 months!

From the decision to sell up everything and sail around the world to launching a brand new Lagoon 450s was 7 months. I think it all started with a "f*ck it, let's do it" and then once the ball was rolling there was no stopping it. I won't argue there was absolutely nowhere near enough planning done before we made the decision and not really much consideration on how we were going to pay for it all which was the biggest stress in the whole process. This may make some laugh and others wince no doubt, but we both did our RYA Level 1 and 2 dinghy sailing courses AFTER paying a €80,000 deposit on a yacht! Unfortunately (fortunately) for us, my wife and I both love boats and when you've got to do it, just do it!

Hayley is presently crossing the Bay of Biscay so it seems we have actually made it happen.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:16   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Boats and dreams cause 2 things in abundance... smiles and tears and this journey has had plenty of both for sure!

She's called Susan Ann II.

Our first boat was named after my mother that passed away so naturally we wanted to continue with the name.

I can't quite believe this myself but we pulled this off in 7 months!

From the decision to sell up everything and sail around the world to launching a brand new Lagoon 450s was 7 months. I think it all started with a "f*ck it, let's do it" and then once the ball was rolling there was no stopping it. I won't argue there was absolutely nowhere near enough planning done before we made the decision and not really much consideration on how we were going to pay for it all which was the biggest stress in the whole process. This may make some laugh and others wince no doubt, but we both did our RYA Level 1 and 2 dinghy sailing courses AFTER paying a €80,000 deposit on a yacht! Unfortunately (fortunately) for us, my wife and I both love boats and when you've got to do it, just do it!

Hayley is presently crossing the Bay of Biscay so it seems we have actually made it happen.

Great story, we have done a similar thing the idea itself of getting a boat has always existed as my parents toyed with the idea when we grew up but it never happened. And when recently the opportunity presented its self we jumped at it. I haven't even ever sailed with my wife ! Her dad is a Captain in the merchant navy so she isn't completely oblivious to the sea. She loves the idea and we'll just be living on the boat initially as a/we need to pay the boat off and b/ everyone needs to get used to life on a boat before we can lift he anchor and set sail. But we really don't follow any rules in life that most seem to adhere to so it's straight up our alley. And, I've got a great job which gives us a lot of freedom financially so yeah why the hell not ! Good on you both, better off wishing you hadn't than living a life time of wishing you had.

Time from viewing a Lagoon to purchase 2months and it will be end of September by the time she arrives, we can wait, kids love the idea.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56   #296

A massive congratulations from both of us.

If you head east, we will head west and maybe bump into you in the middle.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:51   #297

Hayley has made it safely across the Bay of Biscay and is currently heading south towards Portugal in a 12kt breeze with the code O up doing 9kts!

I couldn't be prouder. I was a little worried when the AIS stopped transmitting but now back along the coast and in range. She even has mobile covereage for our little MiFi that's working great.

She says the boat is handling great and loves it. Had dolphins join them every morning and the wind from behind.

There's a 3m swell today on their beam which she says is slightly uncomfortable but no slamming and she feels completely safe. All in all, it sounds like she loves our new home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	151542  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30   #298

Our boat will be in Gibraltar by this weekend - all going well - so I need to start planning what I want to get done there.

Already planned is:
Solar frame install
Aft handrails alterations
Inverter install (not sure on where to locate this, it's huge)
Set up iridium Go

To research:
Fire suppression system for engine bays
More fire extinguishers (which ones and where)
How and where to install BBQ
Converting saloon into extra berth
Mooring ball techniques

Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49   #299

Quote:
Our boat will be in Gibraltar by this weekend - all going well - so I need to start planning what I want to get done there.

Already planned is:
Solar frame install
Aft handrails alterations
Inverter install (not sure on where to locate this, it's huge)
Set up iridium Go

To research:
Fire suppression system for engine bays
More fire extinguishers (which ones and where)
How and where to install BBQ
Converting saloon into extra berth
Mooring ball techniques

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Where did you register your boat? The country of registration may have rules on fire extinguishing systems i.e. Halon or water etc. where they need to be placed which then the insurance company would be interested in .... any excuse not to have to pay you out if you make a claim.

Do you mind me asking through who you got your insurance and what kind of area of coverage you got? I can't get over this expense of the boat!

Cheers,

Jeroen.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:58   #300

Quote:
She's floating!!! Pics curtesy of the amazing Hayley who is doing all this on her own. 😘
Hey Dave, my sports top has a warranty gelcoat issue. They want to respray it. I was wondering when they set your sports top on did they do it with a lift or by hand? The lagoon service manger here thinks they just pick it up by hand, walk it up, set it on. I am not so sure it is that easy.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote