Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 11:51   #136
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 304
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Dave why the Quattro over the MultiPlus? The pluses I see for the Quattro are automatic switching between genset and shorepower (so you save a genset/ mains switch?) and it's available in 5kva. The pluses I see got the MultiPlus is you can get two 3kva units for less than one 5kva Quattro (per the price list I have) and if one fails you still have the other.

I saw a 450S with a teak floor in the head in the owners cabin. Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
So our build deadline has now passed and our decisions are locked in for better or worse.

Despite my bank managers advice in the end I did go for the electric davit winch. I'll want to store the dinghy out of the water every day and I can see that being more likely with the electric winch.

I also opted for the teak cockpit last minute after quotes for flexi teak and perma teak coming in at over 7000 ( all be it for the whole stern ).

I haven't ordered anything for the solar install yet but I've made my decisions and I'm going all Victron and the Quattro 5kva as advised. I've even designed my tower but once I've got some proper drawings I'll start to get quotes.

I'm going for 6 panels in a 3x2 config and think I've come up with a nice design that will look nice as well as function.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 12:25   #137
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 802
Images: 17
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

When designing your support structure do not forget, the panels have a very rigid frame already. When bolted through to each other and the frame they add to the stiffness of the structure.
__________________

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 21:08   #138
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 502
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
I'm in France now and I'm going to sail to the Caribbean next week on a 52F (not mine) so my opinion on S vs F may change but I doubt it.

Now I'm seriously jealous!
__________________
Please check out our blog:
www.youtube.com/TheDaleyAdventure
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 21:46   #139
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 502
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Dave why the Quattro over the MultiPlus? The pluses I see for the Quattro are automatic switching between genset and shorepower (so you save a genset/ mains switch?) and it's available in 5kva. The pluses I see got the MultiPlus is you can get two 3kva units for less than one 5kva Quattro (per the price list I have) and if one fails you still have the other.

I've been quoted 2,500 for the Quattro 5kva which I think is very reasonable and ease of use to be honest. I like the Victron system and plan to buy all the products from the same vendor to keep warranty in 1 place.

I've had wiring issues with my last boat and decided this time to do anything that will make life simple. Electricity is like magic to me but I like to try and understand my systems as best as I can so I'm working thru the wiring now. I won't wire it myself but I want to know how it all works.
__________________
Please check out our blog:
www.youtube.com/TheDaleyAdventure
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:05   #140
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
I've been quoted 2,500 for the Quattro 5kva which I think is very reasonable and ease of use to be honest. I like the Victron system and plan to buy all the products from the same vendor to keep warranty in 1 place.

I've had wiring issues with my last boat and decided this time to do anything that will make life simple. Electricity is like magic to me but I like to try and understand my systems as best as I can so I'm working thru the wiring now. I won't wire it myself but I want to know how it all works.
Have you decided who will be doing your install for panels and associated equipment? As for electricity being like magic, I am right there with you. When I make the decision, I will be making choices of an integrated system that does the thinking for me. If I have to do it, I will screw it up for sure.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:40   #141
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 304
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

I'm a bit like you. I undersand what goes in and what comes out of most of gear, inverters, alternators, etc. If some goes wrong I probably couldn't fix it but I can isolate it and normally find a temporary workable alternative. GBP2,500 is a good price.


Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
I've been quoted 2,500 for the Quattro 5kva which I think is very reasonable and ease of use to be honest. I like the Victron system and plan to buy all the products from the same vendor to keep warranty in 1 place.

I've had wiring issues with my last boat and decided this time to do anything that will make life simple. Electricity is like magic to me but I like to try and understand my systems as best as I can so I'm working thru the wiring now. I won't wire it myself but I want to know how it all works.
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 04:13   #142
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 502
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

UPDATE.
I think some of you might find this amusing and can no doubt relate. So, I did all my research, planning, costing and even drawing and got home from work (I work away for weeks on end and get more research done there than at home) to excitedly show the Mrs our new solar install I've poured hours into and guess what? She "hates" it.

Typical! So after lots of calm adult discussion (yeah right) we come to a compromise by which I mean I'm not not allowed a solar tower off the stern of the flybridge in any way shape or form!

Back to the drawing board then.

I am allowed the "nice looking" flexible panels however and I am even allowed to place them in all the out of the way areas, you know the ones, the ones in the shade! So I have to make the most of the available deck space on the flybridge and on top of the bimini to fit as many panels as I can. Our good friends from Pascal's Wager (L450s) have kindly allowed me to climb all over their boat this morning with a tape measure to try and best figure this out.

I think I can just squeeze 1000w in and will keep all the electronic items the same apart from I can use smaller mppt controllers. I've done a drawing which isn't finished yet but if anyone could edit and help out with whatever errors I have made so far, I'll re edit and post the final copy for others to follow.
__________________
Please check out our blog:
www.youtube.com/TheDaleyAdventure
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 04:18   #143
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 502
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	141961
Here's the drawing, please feel free to edit and I'll repost the final version
__________________
Please check out our blog:
www.youtube.com/TheDaleyAdventure
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 12:07   #144
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 802
Images: 17
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

I understand why you are making theses changes, but it is a decision that will come back and bite you later.

If this is an ascetic thing remember you sit on your boat looking at others, not the other way round.

The rear area behind the coach roof still gets shaded by the boom usually not a lot but enough to drop the output by 20 or 30 amps at times. The area you are going to use will have more shading from boom, mast and bimini. With only 50% to start with and losing more due to shade, you will be running your generator a lot more, or switching of a lot of stuff.

See what Steve 450 has to say he used to have flexible panels only and a couple over the davits prior to adding the 2 kW at the back.

In the end we all do what we have to live in peace, just get it in writing that it is what the good lady wants and will not complain how much it costs to fix later on.

In the past 3 years I have met a total of zero people who wished they had less solar power generation, they always want more.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
__________________

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:06   #145
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New England/FL
Boat: Hanse 348
Posts: 1,096
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post

In the past 3 years I have met a total of zero people who wished they had less solar power generation, they always want more.
This couldn't be more spot on!!!! And will only be more the case in the future!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:55   #146
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 897
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post

I am allowed the "nice looking" flexible panels however and I am even allowed to place them in all the out of the way areas, you know the ones, the ones in the shade!
Flexible solar panels are aesthetically appealing, but do your research carefully. I know several who have installed variuos brands of flexibles and none are happy with their performance and longevity after a couple of years
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:40   #147
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
UPDATE.
I think some of you might find this amusing and can no doubt relate. So, I did all my research, planning, costing and even drawing and got home from work (I work away for weeks on end and get more research done there than at home) to excitedly show the Mrs our new solar install I've poured hours into and guess what? She "hates" it.

Typical! So after lots of calm adult discussion (yeah right) we come to a compromise by which I mean I'm not not allowed a solar tower off the stern of the flybridge in any way shape or form!

Back to the drawing board then.

I am allowed the "nice looking" flexible panels however and I am even allowed to place them in all the out of the way areas, you know the ones, the ones in the shade! So I have to make the most of the available deck space on the flybridge and on top of the bimini to fit as many panels as I can. Our good friends from Pascal's Wager (L450s) have kindly allowed me to climb all over their boat this morning with a tape measure to try and best figure this out.

I think I can just squeeze 1000w in and will keep all the electronic items the same apart from I can use smaller mppt controllers. I've done a drawing which isn't finished yet but if anyone could edit and help out with whatever errors I have made so far, I'll re edit and post the final copy for others to follow.
I would make sure she understands the sacrifice she is making. Does she want her hairdryer or the freedom of using the washing machine or even little things like unlimited use of a coffee maker? You know that down the road you will pay over and over for limiting the amount of solar generation. And the payment won't just be in dollars but also in pain and suffering as you listen to her complain.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 16:34   #148
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 154
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Also consider how you will get cabling back to MPPT which won't leak over the life of your boat. More holes in your boat for cabling provides more points for water ingress - which is a PITA. No matter what product you use to seal a penetration - it will eventually fail & leak.

An array mounted on the back can be installed without putting any more holes in your boat - cabling enters your boat where rear Nav light current is.

Good luck Davedindubai...
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 05:06   #149
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 502
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

I need luck indeed! The debate goes on and thanks for your help.

Can anyone provide a drawing and measurements for the 450s bimini top? I'm working on a compromise and looking at what I can do on the bimini roof.
__________________
Please check out our blog:
www.youtube.com/TheDaleyAdventure
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:37   #150
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charter Caribe USVI
Boat: Lagoon 50
Posts: 65
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

We have a hard top on order from dedicated marine in Florida.

The hard top will have solar panels on top and lights underneath.

In addition,the make an extension for the cabin top to add more solar

Dedicated Marine HOME - Dedicated Marine Bimini Hardtop

Dedicated Marine CUSTOM SERVICES - Dedicated Marine

Dedicated Marine LAGOON GALLERY - Dedicated Marine - Bimini Hardtop

Maybe this helps?

Good luck.

Warren
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Info: Am I being unreasonable concerning handover of new 450S Krabimike Lagoon Catamarans 56 16-07-2016 02:29
Just signed Paperwork for Boat! We're Officially Sailboat Owners! natraps116 Liveaboard's Forum 45 16-07-2014 22:37
Just signed up! onebikeoneworld Meets & Greets 5 15-06-2013 11:54
Just Signed Up laflood@attbi.com Meets & Greets 4 16-03-2006 12:05

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.