Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 06:42   #271

Boat: Shopping for a Cat
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Hi Dave, You might have seen this thread already but its about upgrades to a L440.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-182201.html

This has the nicest looking and strongest looking solar support I have seen on any CAT. It definitely would be more expensive but I Love the way it looks and wow it looks usable. I also really like the fact that there are no sharp corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar 440.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	150722  

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science" - Albert Einstein
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:47   #272

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

I hadn't seen this but yes, it looks good. I personally prefer polished stainless to match the rest of the boat and want to keep the amount of tubes to a minimum but have enough strength. 50mm tube is readily available and can be cut and added to easily at a later date.

I'm building mine with an eye to adding another 3 panels in the future should I need to.

I want to make the best use of aft handrail with a outboard mount, BBQ mount, fish prep tray, life ring mount and possibly storage for a gas bottle. I'd actually like to keep a couple of 10ltr scuba tanks there too but I expect that won't be allowed.
Old 27-06-2017, 03:07   #273

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Congratulations on your boat very exciting. We bought a 450F owners version earlier this month and she'll be done end of July and then sent out to us in Hong Kong by end Aug. and we'll move on in Sept.

Reading all the comments and suggestions in this thread is great, and given me a lot to think about and consider before the boat is commissioned. We wont be heading to France to receive the boat although we will be in The Netherlands for July it would be possible but nothing really changes in our situation. But seeing your photos has been great and gives us an idea of how it will be when ours arrives on the deck of a ship.

Keep the info and questions coming its all very helpful.

Regards.
Slotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:39   #274

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
I hadn't seen this but yes, it looks good. I personally prefer polished stainless to match the rest of the boat and want to keep the amount of tubes to a minimum but have enough strength. 50mm tube is readily available and can be cut and added to easily at a later date.

I'm building mine with an eye to adding another 3 panels in the future should I need to.

I want to make the best use of aft handrail with a outboard mount, BBQ mount, fish prep tray, life ring mount and possibly storage for a gas bottle. I'd actually like to keep a couple of 10ltr scuba tanks there too but I expect that won't be allowed.
I've just had my solar frame finished, which has some of the things you describe inc BBQ mount, table etc. Designed to hold 6xSunpower x22-360w panels, Webber Q2000 BBQ & Gas bottle, Table for fish/bbq, and Flag !. They used Stainless box tubing for the upper frame.

Will post some photos in next couple days soon as the gas bottle mount goes in.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:02   #275

Slotty,

I would really recommend a factory visit if you can make it happen. It was amazing. We got to see the process from beginning to end which I was fascinated by and was also hilarious watching my mrs run around looking for hull number 60. To see the bottom half of your boat with all the cables being run is also very helpful down the line when you want to run a HDMI or a cat 5 cable for example. I learned a lot about the boat that day and also feel very confident that it is well built.

Catapault,

looking forward to these pics!
We are having to sleep in the port aft cabin for our first sail which I am annoyed about as the solar panels are too large to fit in the port hull.

Krabimike,

I've been quoted 1,592euro plus shipping for the helm gate so I think it's safe to say I won't be getting one.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 12:49   #276

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Slotty,

I would really recommend a factory visit if you can make it happen. It was amazing. We got to see the process from beginning to end which I was fascinated by and was also hilarious watching my mrs run around looking for hull number 60. To see the bottom half of your boat with all the cables being run is also very helpful down the line when you want to run a HDMI or a cat 5 cable for example. I learned a lot about the boat that day and also feel very confident that it is well built.

Catapault,

We are having to sleep in the port aft cabin for our first sail which I am annoyed about as the solar panels are too large to fit in the port hull.

Krabimike,

I've been quoted 1,592euro plus shipping for the helm gate so I think it's safe to say I won't be getting one.
Why not just leave them (Solar panels) in the cockpit ? Put cockpit table in the overhead maybe, or on the cockpit lounger ?
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 13:05   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Why not just leave them (Solar panels) in the cockpit ? Put cockpit table in the overhead maybe, or on the cockpit lounger ?
good idea with the cockpit lounger actually, I expect we will. The 'S' doesn't have the table storage overhead in the cockpit tho.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 15:15   #278

Our mast was stepped today and the guys at Yacht Care Services were good enough to video it for us so it's on our Facebook page if anyone is interested.

Here you go:
https://m.facebook.com/TheDaleyAdventure/
Old 29-06-2017, 18:32   #279

Quote:
Slotty,

Catapault,

Krabimike,

Wow! I will sell you mine still in wrap 1/2 price lol!
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 16:44   #280

Just a little update because I'm far too excited to sleep... We are headed to the airport in the morning to finally leave the uk!

It feels like a long time coming but it's only really been 2 and 1/2 months since we moved out of our apartment but in that time we have lived like hobos in a host of different places, mostly out of bags and different hire cars.

I actually just added it up and I've slept in 13 different beds since we moved out of our home. This includes 2 boats, 3 houses, 4 apartments and 1 hotel. We've also had 4 different hire cars in 3 different countries and borrowed 2 vans and still it is not enough. We fly tomorrow with 5x 20kg bags (one of these is my work bag which stays packed and goes everywhere with me). This is the last of our stuff (it better be) but if I can give any advice at all, don't underestimate how much stuff you'll need (want) to up route your life and move onto a boat.

I've got some really bad news which I wasn't going to mention but it relates to an earlier post about the financing of the boat - the one where I owned up to buying a boat I totally couldn't afford and the whole dream nearly came tumbling down! Well, I'm going to miss the maiden voyage. ☹️
I'll fly to France to the boat tomorrow with Hayley and get her settled and then I'm off to work for a month while she takes care of the launch, the handover, sea trials and the little old matter of sailing across the Bay of Biscay. To say we are both disappointed is obviously a massive understatement but work called last minute (yesterday) and I can't say no. The timing sucks but I guess there is never a good or right time to go earn the dollar so when it's offered, I have to take it. I know it will pay off when we are both sipping gin and tonics in Ibiza in a month.

I'll keep this thread updated and still plan to get all the electrical and solar work done while I am at work so she's all ready for my return. Hayley is going to be busy but when she has a mission she is a force to be reckoned with so I've complete faith it will all work out.

Monday is copper coat day so I'll post some pics before I leave.
Old 01-07-2017, 19:27   #281

What a woman! Dave, you're a lucky man.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 20:36   #282

I envy you Dave. A new boat and a woman capable of handling all the details to get it launch and commissioned by herself. You are a lucky man.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 21:23   #283

Boat: 450S

You will not sleep for a month...but this is what lots of us have done to make the dream come together
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00   #284

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	151097
We've got a mast!
Old 03-07-2017, 15:48   #285