Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 16:28   #1

Boat: Fraser 41
Vancouver to Central America Sep 2010

This may be a little early but:

I'm planning a cruise on my Fraser 41, leaving early/mid September, before the Pacific lows start coming in. I'm 29, enjoy a good time and I'm looking for some like minded crew. Once past San Francisco, I hope to do lots of surfing, sightseeing and take my time since I don't have to return to work until the spring.

I'm in the process of doing some upgrades to the boat and I hope sail around Vancouver Island this spring for a shakedown. I may be willing to pay for the services of a skipper for the Victoria/San Francisco leg.

If interested PM me or send an email cirruspower at gmail dot com,

Brennan
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
We'll be leaving for Mexico from somewhere in BC probably a touch earlier than you. We aren't looking to crew obviously but if you want to talk "shop" about your planning/process with others on a similar plan, feel free to get in touch.

We may be in Squamish this summer for a week for climbing. Do you keep your boat there?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45   #3

I am going around the Island in the latter part of April. When are you going?

Jack
Old 03-02-2010, 23:39   #4

Livia,

Thanks for the reply. It would be interesting to talk about the cruise... I actually live aboard in Squamish, so If you're coming through, we'll have to talk sailing and perhaps climb a few granite cracks.

When to leave the PNW for Mexico seems like a bit of a balancing act. Leave too early and have to deal with the Hurricane season, leave too late and have to deal with the fall storms... I guess its best to cruise slowly through california.

Jackdale,

I'm not sure when I'll start a cruise around Van Isle. I'm dedicating March and April to boat maintenance. So hopefully late April or early May. Where do you keep your boat/ where will you be leaving from?

Brennan
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58   #5

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Brennen ,I can offer some info. on your entire southbound leg,I'm in Vallarta right now,its pretty nice here.We had a major wind/rain event 2 nights ago(80 knots).
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruscloud View Post

Jackdale,

I'm not sure when I'll start a cruise around Van Isle. I'm dedicating March and April to boat maintenance. So hopefully late April or early May. Where do you keep your boat/ where will you be leaving from?

Brennan
I am conducting a Coastal Skipper course and Yachtmaster Offshore course during trip. We are departing from Sidney with a crew change in Port Hardy.

Jack
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06   #7

Boat: samson c-mist 32
Mid Sept. is getting a bit late, when I go it will be in July or Aug. but that's a few years away (
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruscloud View Post
Thanks for the reply. It would be interesting to talk about the cruise... I actually live aboard in Squamish, so If you're coming through, we'll have to talk sailing and perhaps climb a few granite cracks.
I just realized that with your timing, you will be coming by us (probably) before we head up your way. We'll probably be in Squamish late June or early July. We're in Victoria BC in the inner harbor so give a shout if you come through here.
Old 08-02-2010, 16:12   #9

Geoff,

I would be really interested to hear about your cruise down there. Especially the anchorages along the way that don't have river bars. When are you making your way back up here?

I realize mid sept is getting pretty late, it's going to have to early sept. If only someone could just pay me to go sailing...

Livia,

I'll definitely let you know if I'm coming through Victoria.

Still looking for crew if anyone is interested.... I think I'll try again closer to the departure date.
Old 08-02-2010, 21:27   #10

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Brennen ,good to hear you are joining the cruising life,I have no regrets.Take care of boat and it will take care of you.I would avoid stops with bars altogether when southbound.There are good anchorages without bars if you can travel 3 or 4 days without stopping.If you leave late you will want to sail direct to Sanfran. anyway,in about 8 days.Wait in neah bay till things look ok outside.I wouldn't go out more than 80 miles.Reef early.Cape Blanco,and Mendocino can be nasty.

Tags
Central America