Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 19:55   #31

Re: Florida to Bahamas and beyond if weather permits

Hi Richinlife. I currently own a Gemini 105m hull# 557. I own a business in Alexandria Virginia and I'm docked at National Harbor. My previous boat was a Dufour 31 which I sailed around the Chesapeake. I'd like to get some blue water and Caribbean experience with a Gemini which is why I'm replying to your post. I'm physically fit, ASA 101 and 103 certified. From your post I think I could benefit from your experience. Also I'm an avid reader Email me at charles@butlerimagery.com for more info and conversation.
Old 25-09-2015, 21:00   #32

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Florida to Bahamas and beyond if weather permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richinlife View Post
SHER9016 - good feed back, thanks. I am still looking at options for routing. Current plan is to cross Banks to Chub Cay. After that I will probably either go to Nassau, then through the Exuma banks side to Conch Cut, or perhaps Chub to Andros across to Conch Cut. Many options that may be decided by wind direction and sea state. There are a few legs that will require anchoring on the banks over night and a couple of later legs that will require open ocean overnight passage.
===

My experiences with checking in at Chub Cay have not been good. The marina is very expensive and customs delays are common place. We now go straight through to Nassau and stay at the Nassau Harbour Club Marina. They have an arrangement where the customs and immigration people come right to your boat. Everything is quick and easy.

Proceeding on to the Carib we exit Nassau at the east end and work our way south through the Exumas, Long Island, Mayaguana, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic (north side), Puerto Rico (south side), etc. The cruisers bible for that passage (called the Thorny Path) is "The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" by Bruce Van Sant.

Tags
Bahamas, florida, permit, weather