Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Delivery Skipper - St. Maarten to Ibiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
DOJ.... sshhhhhh... stop clarifying the water...
Foolishsailor..... while I agree generally with your sentiments the keen amateur/freelance delivery skipper is invaluable to the 'poorer sailor' who figures that giving up the annual summer holiday to pay for his boat to be moved from say the UK to the Med would be a great idea... but maybe lack the skills or time to do it himself... invariably they contact the 'Professionals' who look, laugh and then hand them a work/things to buy list usually running to thousands of pounds...
So... we get scraped outa the bottom of the bin...
We wander up and look at the boat... maybe tell him to invest in a new inflatable.. GPS/CP.. no worries got charts and a H/H... old sails... no worries I'll bring my kit... no Insurance.. no worries just get 3rd Party for the marina's...
We're not just easier on the price for the job.....
I have been told I'm stealing food from peoples plates... (by a Pro' charging 3 times as much)
no I'm not...
I'm feeding on the scraps the 'Pro's' have tossed away...
recently i,ve been approached by a number of professional companies to sub contract deliveries for them,..........and guess how much they are paying.......a hundred dollars a day or less!!!

so next time you go to one of the so called professional delivery companys and get quoted a price that you need to sit down and take deep breaths..

what you are actually paying for is a fancy website,a few testamonials and an ex delivery skipper who sits in his cosy office,getting the other half of the fee...............

Tags
delivery, skipper