Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2013, 17:48   #16

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Crew wanted for Circumnavigation

I estimate $10-15/day for each potential crew member for food, excluding booze, fuel and personal goodies ( I have my own stock). It usually comes out closer to $10. We have a huge freezer so do bulk shop. We don't scrimp and eat great. Also catch lots of fresh fish. It sounds cheap but can add up when refilling the tackle box!

Maybe see you in the Med next year, Greg
Old 17-05-2013, 18:04   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post
I estimate $10-15/day for each potential crew member for food, excluding booze, fuel and personal goodies ( I have my own stock). It usually comes out closer to $10. We have a huge freezer so do bulk shop. We don't scrimp and eat great. Also catch lots of fresh fish. It sounds cheap but can add up when refilling the tackle box!

Maybe see you in the Med next year, Greg
+1,any more and you are running a charter,shared expenses should be in line with how much extra you have to spend provisioning for 4 instead of 2.

in your choice of people you also need to take their budget into account,ie if they have limited funds,but you like to eat out when in port,but that is not in the budget for the "crew" this will soon cause friction,as will you "inviting" them out for dinner all the time.

another alternative is to run a kitty where all expenses are pooled,and just top it up when it get low
Old 17-05-2013, 18:40   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You need to factor in (liability and medical) insurance coverage, and the cost of a possible emergency flight home. What if a crew member became sick or needed emergency care; who will pick up the medical tab? There is much more to it than just food! Mauritz
Old 17-05-2013, 19:53   #19

Kayak 123 please remove my interest in crewing with you. I was mistaken that you might be real cruisers in need of honest crew to asist with crossings,your adventures and boat sitting. I am not interested in pay charter nor interested in reading more trash from wantabe cruisers who do not have enough adventure in there life than to thumb there noses from there sofas and arm chairs at others who are out living the life of adventure in other countries, real cruisers seldom have time for daily internet chat as they live the life of adventure , and 80 percent of them out will help out their neighbors when the need is there for no charge as that is the kind of people they are. The other 20 percent live the life as they did on land as yacht club yuppies who are very full of themselves and there egos. I reccomend to seek your cruising advise from your neighbors in the anchorages you choose to visit, not from dreamers who trash each other and others on the internet foroums. Live the life before you passs judments on others. This is exactly why many people choose the cruising life to get away from so many on land like the cancers and plagues society that preys on new cruisers and boaters and people en general who seek advise from internet foroums sites thinking everyone can be trusted to be genuine. Travel abroad and then thank these cancers and plague people trashers for why so many foreigners of other countries think that all americans are like this.
Thank you,
Old 17-05-2013, 20:11   #20

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Dear Tropicstar,
I think you got yourself needlessly wound up. Terms and conditions of trip need to be addressed. The longer the trip the more likely problems will occur. Hope you you find a trip that meets your expectations. If it doesnt, god help your crew mates.
Old 18-05-2013, 08:22   #21

tropicstar,
you made us feel really bad about suggesting such a trip on the internet, as if we are evil, calculating people who just pretend but cant live authentically. you may be right.
the problem is I do not know. I dont know if it is ethical to demand a contribution for the expenses. If we dont demand it, we seem like condescending rich snobs who like to make people fell debted to us. If we try to calculate a just amount, we seem like calculating bankers, charter companies and not real adventerurers, i.e fakes.
I really dont want to seem to be in neither position.

You really made us feel bad.This is too complicated for us. We are and try to be simple people

So case closed.We are no longer looking for "strangers" to crew with us.
We will be cruising ourselves.
Sorry for bothering anyone
Old 18-05-2013, 09:08   #22

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Kayak! No need to apologize at all! When hiring a crew, you need to do individual background checks, address insurance, medical liability and financial issues. It is always wise to have a clean slate, where everything is spelled out beforehand prior to leaving port. In the US, an individual who holds a TWIC card issued by Homeland Security/FBI background checked is something to look for; I have one. For extended travel, an individual must have a valid passport (greater than 1 year from expiration) and finances to cover a return ticket to his/her home airport. In addition, it is not a crime to suggest a reasonable contribution towards three meals daily; you need to spell an amount and what it will entail. Sail away! Mauritz
Old 18-05-2013, 09:52   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

WOW.. It's getting deep in here...... I suggest a paid professional to go along.... maybe a male/female team...
Old 18-05-2013, 16:56   #24

Better problems sort out here than at sea. In fact, as a test, do some irritating thing when interviewing your crew and see how they react. Whether they react like "Tropicstar" or stay angels, you managed the selection process accurately. Eventually you will be confident with someone and do the checks as detailed in other posts.
Old 18-05-2013, 18:09   #25

Advisor re adventurebound your sailing experience is reflected in your profile it states as you put it in your bio you are learning rough water sailing. so is this where all of experience with crew selection and crew charges come from and your finger pointing jabs were learned from.
Thank you for your profound knowledge.
Old 18-05-2013, 18:48   #26

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Kayak! No need to apologize at all! When hiring a crew, you need to do individual background checks, address insurance, medical liability and financial issues. It is always wise to have a clean slate, where everything is spelled out beforehand prior to leaving port. In the US, an individual who holds a TWIC card issued by Homeland Security/FBI background checked is something to look for; I have one. For extended travel, an individual must have a valid passport (greater than 1 year from expiration) and finances to cover a return ticket to his/her home airport. In addition, it is not a crime to suggest a reasonable contribution towards three meals daily; you need to spell an amount and what it will entail. Sail away! Mauritz
No matter how much effort you put into finding crew, it is risky to expect things to work out as planned. There are good reasons most sailors 'write their itinerary in sand'. Your plans can change affecting your original agreements with anyone coming aboard as crew. Some possible scenarios would require you to bear the cost for repatriating crew leaving the boat. I don't know if it would ultimately protect me from having to do this, but I always require people to either purchase a 'refundable' airline ticket or commit to bearing this expense in writing.

The best thing you can do is make certain you can handle your boat solo if for any reason you find yourself crewless in a place like Chagos... Actually wittnessed this happen in Chagos to an American sailor who's long time sailing partner and girlfriend jumped ship in favour of a handsome Italian. And, the abandoned sailor had never sailed his boat alone.

Nothing is for sure in the pursuit of crew.

armido
Old 18-05-2013, 19:36   #27

There is good input coming in. Kayak, I am sure you will have a happy voyage with compatible crew in the end by following advice here-many experienced sailers.
Old 20-05-2013, 07:50   #28

Location: Everywhere that you want to be! "And, some that you don't!??
Boat: Boston Whaler
Send a message via AIM to UnExCorp Send a message via Skype™ to UnExCorp

Why is this not that, of an Surprise!

True to the nature of human Psychology: People need to feel the validation of contribution - in what every form that may take -watching the show: Survivor! demonstrated this point quite quite well -However, personally, I'm not a fan of that of Reality Shows -while sitting on that of an Couch -I'd rather be climbing Mt. Everest/other!

You see- I'm my own reality show -Albeit, "Privately!"

D.T.
Old 21-05-2013, 10:56   #29

I would be interested in the South Pacific leg. Are you geared up for scuba diving. I was a scuba instructor aboard a catamaran in Hawaii for 6 years from 1990-1996.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 24-06-2013, 18:24   #30

Aloha! I am an ocean kayak guide on Na Pali coast in Hawaii. I have time and many other things to offer. I work with people from all over the world. I love the ocean and love adventures. Please e- mail me if you re still looking for the perfect fit for your trip. Annie@wailuariverguides.com

Tags
circumnavigation, crew, paracelle, wanted