Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 18:25   #31

Boat: 40 spray
Re: Crew wanted for Circumnavigation

Wonderful plan. I've often said I'd rather get burned by trusting than loose the experience of human relationship that has meaning and depth. Doesn't make me a fool and oddly enough I don't let my instinct and judgement fall away due to the philosophy. I'm sorry I missed you but my hope for you is that this will turn out to be the best decision you ever made. That you will not regret a single word or hour. Go. Be. May our paths one day cross and our energy compound for an even greater force for all.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36   #32

Hello Kayak123,

Saw your profile and would like to tell you a little about myself. Hopefully we'll be a good match.

I'm currently on the island of Lemnos, Greece just finishing a one month sail on a 44' catamaran. My ideal position is live aboard crew for an adventurous, long-term sail. I am available immediately and can easily travel to you.

My tastes include good food, sailing, friendship, classical music, The Economist magazine, language and culture. I appreciate intelligent, kind, happy people and actively dislike inconsiderate, self-centered, spiteful people. I tremendously enjoy the agreeable company of my ship mates on trips to the beach, sightseeing, or even the homey pleasures of shopping in a vegetable market and talking to the vendor. None of those are much fun alone. But, I also enjoy time by myself to read, think, write, listen to music, breath the air and look at the fullness of the sails underway. So spending time on board while you guys are out exploring is not an issue.

My diet leans toward fresh, healthy food. I don't smoke and much prefer a smoke-free boat.

I am a gay, American, an atheist, a liberal and a capitalist. The last 23 years of work consisted of founding and running three small businesses. I just retired. I was only a fair business man. I'm book smart with a bad business sense. But, my strengths pulled me through: hard work, long hours, seeking out enjoyable work, congenial clients, relentlessly saving and investing. I'm 66 years old and except for a few aches and pains, healthy and strong.

My sailing skills are rusty. But, I am able to hoist a sail, assist in a tack, drop an anchor, set a bridal, swab a deck, tie a knot, put out bumpers, pump the bilge, follow directions, swat a fly and wash dishes. The more I learn, the more I can appreicate the dynamics between the sails, the wind, the boat and me.

Please get back to me if you think we might make a good team. Good sailing, Richard D'Addario
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18   #33

Hello Kayak123,

Just realized that I missed all the drama.

As much fun as a good mud slinging can be (to witness), I was too busy looking for a boat and hadn't read the three pages of thread.

Anyway, let's start fresh. I'm available. Please get back to me if you think we might make a good team.

Good sailing, Richard D'Addario
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Surfing the waves
Send a message via Skype™ to martyj

Are you still looing
Old 01-07-2013, 17:43   #35

Hello!
I am very interested. I am 31 years old male. Will you contact me? Please.
koldodlok@gmail.com
Old 01-07-2013, 19:22   #36

Thumbs up Re: Crew wanted for Circumnavigation

Hi Kayak123,

First, let me say your trip sounds absolutely amazing and I don't think you were out of place at all by posting looking for crew. That's the point of this forum, eh?!

My boyfriend (30) and I (28) are very interested in the position, beginning April 2014 (or thereabouts). We have four seasons of sailing experience, although none that is bluewater - mostly the Florida Keys and the Great Lakes. We own a small, 20 ft sailboat that we've learned a lot of valuable lessons on and we have lots of fun! We also race in the summer (this will be our third summer doing so). We are eager and excited about getting more experience and helping out on anyone's boat...like many, we hope to get our own larger boat one day and circumnavigate! We would be honored to sail with you two and explore together. We actually just got back from visiting Italy and would love to further explore the beautiful Mediterranean with you both!

A little about us - Bryan (my boyfriend) is a PhD trained Mathematician and an advocate for good environmental stewardship. He completed the National Outdoor Leadership Program and he loves being outside. He's also a damn good cook! We're both vegetarian. I work in the field of social work, in refugee resettlement, helping persecuted people to start their new lives in America after approval from Homeland Security. We love to hike, kayak, read, eat, drink wine, and bicycle. Neither of us smoke.

We'd be willing to contribute some to the general expenses, to be discussed further. Of course we'd pay for airfare to the meeting point and the return home ticket.

If you're interested or think we could be a good fit, please email me at marilee(dot)couldron(at)gmail(dot)com. I look forward to hearing from you!!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10   #37

And what if the crew, having paid their way at what is an expensive rate, start to believe that their contribution gives them the right to question, or indeed countermand, the decisions made by the skipper?

I would suggest that any contribution be voluntary (perhaps the occasional meal ashore paid for by the crew?) so that the relationships on board are kept in order.

It is better to concentrate on finding the right people/person to look after the boat when you are ashore or when they are on watch at night than to have arbitrary financial limits exclude people who might just be the one(s) that you need! After all, what is the priority here?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
And what if the crew, having paid their way at what is an expensive rate, start to believe that their contribution gives them the right to question, or indeed countermand, the decisions made by the skipper?

I would suggest that any contribution be voluntary (perhaps the occasional meal ashore paid for by the crew?) so that the relationships on board are kept in order.

It is better to concentrate on finding the right people/person to look after the boat when you are ashore or when they are on watch at night than to have arbitrary financial limits exclude people who might just be the one(s) that you need! After all, what is the priority here?
you might want to read through the whole thread,this has been discussed at lenth..............and i belive the op is not responding due to the negative comments/ impact the discussion took.

i hope kayak does respond,as it seems there are a lot of genuine candidates interested.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51   #39

I did read the whole three pages before I submitted my contribution which, I would suggest, was not a duplication of anything that went before and nor was it negative in any way.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
I did read the whole three pages before I submitted my contribution which, I would suggest, was not a duplication of anything that went before and nor was it negative in any way.
sorry was not implying that you were being negative,as you will have seen i made a similar comment at the beggining of the thread!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08   #41

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Well I think this thread is a good heads up as far as what kind of people you might encounter out there. Good to have an out....

or a cat o nine...

Maybe there were some entries deleted or something as I failed to see how this thread took a left turn..... but I aint gonna re-read it.

Anyway, best of luck
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32   #42

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Well I think this thread is a good heads up as far as what kind of people you might encounter out there. Good to have an out....
And to clarify, I'm talking about the guy who had a bee in his bonnet re: sharing expenses....

There are lots of other nice people who replied with ernest, cheerful replies. I'd consider giving them a shot, but do heed the background check advice. As crew, I would check yours.... not mistrustful, but savvy, and as a matter of policy I never skip these kind of steps whenever they are presented. Doesn't mean it will prevent issues with people, but objectively viewed, it could help.

cheers
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47   #43

hello ,
i am interested in your plan.
i have on my score in particular one Transat , yachtmaster offshore and now i am in charge till september as skipper in the med.
can ii have a contact mail ?
ogeido@libero.it
Old 05-07-2013, 17:54   #44

Hi,
this is creepy.
One's one call has turned into a massive counsellors advices story-telling, the others try to sell their souls writing how keen are them on to music, snorkelling and some other miscellanea. I wonder which criteria are you people trying to look after based on writings that anonymous wrote here. Sick people. Some others, are doing net researches trying to identify criminal records etcetera. Keep going. In the end, please, write a proper ending to this soap.
I am in.
-
I'd be pleased to join your love boat.
Byeee
Old 05-07-2013, 18:04   #45

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Interesting that no one has asked the Captains qualifications. For at least 4 people 40' is a bit close quarters.

Tags
circumnavigation, crew, paracelle, wanted