Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: clever, sweet girl from holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Dana! In the US, to get a TWIC card, you must show up in person and present your current passport, social security card and a valid driver's license. Your picture and fingerprints are taken. A fee of about $150 USD is to be paid for a first time registrant. After going through all this, the FBI and Homeland Security will do a criminal background check on you. Any previous felonies will disqualify you from having the card. Any psychological issues will also disqualify you. If your background is clean, you'll get a notification to come and pick up your card, within 2-3 weeks; you'll be re-fingerprinted once again. The card is valid for a 5-year duration. If someone is to apply for a Captain's license, he/she MUST have this card. If you are looking for crew, and a person has this card...it means that his/her criminal background has been verified to be clean. The card has a built-in digitized chip, your picture and three differently structured bar codes; practically counterfeit proof.

The bottom line...if I am looking for a US crew, I would want that person to already hold a current TWIC card and a valid passport; criminal background already cleared/checked...good to go!

Mauritz
i have had over the years a couple of hundred crew sail with me as either delivery crew,or cruising crew,never had one with a twic card!

generally i go by a quick chat on the phone,or face to face,i can count on one hand ,crew that proved to be unsuitable in 30 years of sailing
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45   #32

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

haha, well welcome. As you can see you aren't short of finding what your looking for if you enjoy over zealous men that are aging and willing in short to sacrafice financial stability and marriage to take you along....lol

Welcome, and good luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51   #33

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Boatie! Not true, at all! Actually, I'd like to sail with you in the Caribbean, one of these days; my treat! I think you'd be a lot of fun to have on board and would enjoy sharing our adventures. In addition, I would want a few more, from here, to join in. There are a lot of nice and fun people that I'd like to meet and spend some sailing time with. One of these days...as I am involved in several business projects that consume much of my time.

Mauritz
Sociable when time permits it!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00   #34

Hiya Atoll! The TWIC card program is about 5 years old. It is just a layer of security for when one needs extra hands on board. No one would want a "whack-job" as crew; this card is not a guarantee, but reduces the chances of having one. Imagine you and Boatie and a few more, from here, getting together for a big party! One of these days, I'll make it happen...

Mauritz
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Hiya Boatie! Not true, at all! Actually, I'd like to sail with you in the Caribbean, one of these days; my treat! I think you'd be a lot of fun to have on board and would enjoy sharing our adventures. In addition, I would want a few more, from here, to join in. There are a lot of nice and fun people that I'd like to meet and spend some sailing time with. One of these days...as I am involved in several business projects that consume much of my time.

Mauritz
If your going to take him ,I want to go also...We would be one hell of a crew,One former DEA agent and two ,oh never mind this aint going to work ,we would eat all of your ice cream!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440

Methinks this thread was started by Atoll or Boatman as a gag.............
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: clever, sweet girl from holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
If your going to take him ,I want to go also...We would be one hell of a crew,One former DEA agent and two ,oh never mind this aint going to work ,we would eat all of your ice cream!
ROFLMAO....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hiya Atoll! The TWIC card program is about 5 years old. It is just a layer of security for when one needs extra hands on board. No one would want a "whack-job" as crew; this card is not a guarantee, but reduces the chances of having one. Imagine you and Boatie and a few more, from here, getting together for a big party! One of these days, I'll make it happen...

Mauritz
i like the party idea!

for me twic,or crb as we have in the uk is just another level of beauracracy,yes there are a lot of jokers out there,but normally 5 minutes talking to someone i get a pretty good idea if they are going to hack it or not.

i actually prefer total "virgin" sailors,who have not undergone sailing school indoctorination!

it takes me a week to unlearn all the bad habits sailing schools teach!,
like switch the lights off if you are not using them,or leaving the tap running whilst brushing teeth,etc
mainly due to sailing schools being on the dock every night
Old 04-09-2013, 05:40   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Methinks this thread was started by Atoll or Boatman as a gag.............
she allready sent me a photo of a boobie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Csvargo 145.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	66481  
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57   #40

Hiya Tropics! I have a slew of coconut ice cream fans, already! Let me know if you happen to be passing through Dallas, one day! It is time consuming to remove coconut meat (copra) from the shell/husk, then make it into fine shavings. The final ice cream product...tastes yummmmy...can't get enough! The higher the cream content, the yummier is the ice cream. My neighbors have been harassing/hounding me for a gallon; even, they are willing to pay for it! (Hint: make money selling coconut ice cream while sailing the seven seas.)

Mauritz
Home made, hand-churned, coconut ice cream is NOT for sale!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37   #41

Boat: Skookum 53'

I found coconut ice cream in Belize, nothing better in a hollowed out papaya or with fresh pineapple chunks. Look out Technav here we come! I'll bring some salmon.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:48   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Hiya Tropics! I have a slew of coconut ice cream fans, already! Let me know if you happen to be passing through Dallas, one day! It is time consuming to remove coconut meat (copra) from the shell/husk, then make it into fine shavings. The final ice cream product...tastes yummmmy...can't get enough! The higher the cream content, the yummier is the ice cream. My neighbors have been harassing/hounding me for a gallon; even, they are willing to pay for it! (Hint: make money selling coconut ice cream while sailing the seven seas.)

Mauritz
Home made, hand-churned, coconut ice cream is NOT for sale!
was in Sherman Tx. a while back,Have a friend there that I built a runway and hanger for a few years back and he now has several different types of aircraft to fly and have fun with(Paramotors ,Trikes,ultralights(fixed wing),and of course a 1941 cub(J-4 coupe)...
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexico has coconut ice cream and mango ice cream ==gooooood stuff--fresh with fruits from the trees....

good luck on y0ur search--may the seeking be fun and may you find some one without ulterior motives unless you wish that.....
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Hi Dana! In the US, to get a TWIC card, you must show up in person and present your current passport, social security card and a valid driver's license. Your picture and fingerprints are taken. A fee of about $150 USD is to be paid for a first time registrant. After going through all this, the FBI and Homeland Security will do a criminal background check on you. Any previous felonies will disqualify you from having the card. Any psychological issues will also disqualify you. If your background is clean, you'll get a notification to come and pick up your card, within 2-3 weeks; you'll be re-fingerprinted once again. The card is valid for a 5-year duration. If someone is to apply for a Captain's license, he/she MUST have this card. If you are looking for crew, and a person has this card...it means that his/her criminal background has been verified to be clean. The card has a built-in digitized chip, your picture and three differently structured bar codes; practically counterfeit proof.

The bottom line...if I am looking for a US crew, I would want that person to already hold a current TWIC card and a valid passport; criminal background already cleared/checked...good to go!

Mauritz
Yup, because what you really don't want onboard is an amateur sociopath .
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25   #45

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:

Mauritz
I hate to be the one to disqualify your info again Teknav, but a TWIC card does not mean that the person does not have a criminal background or prior psychological issues. Do your due diligence, It simply means they have a TWIC card. There are plenty of waivers and waiting periods that apply, but certainly it does not mean a person has a clean background.
What they are eliminating are folks that have terroristic felonies, charges and such.
All the following are eligible to get TWIC card. Taken from TSA site.

Part B – Interim Disqualifying Offenses
Conviction for one of the following felonies is disqualifying if the applicant was convicted, pled guilty (including 'no contest'), or found not guilty by reason of insanity within 7 years of the date of the TWIC application; OR if the applicant was released from prison after conviction within 5 years of the date of the application. The applicant may apply for a waiver.

Unlawful possession, use, sale, manufacture, purchase, distribution, receipt, transfer, shipping, transporting, delivery, import, export of, or dealing in a firearm or other weapon. A firearm or other weapon includes, but is not limited to, firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) or 26 U.S.C. 5 845(a), or items contained on the U.S. Munitions Import List at 27 CFR 447.21.
Extortion.
Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation, including identity fraud and money laundering where the money laundering is related to a crime described in Columns A or B. Welfare fraud and passing bad checks do not constitute dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation for purposes of this paragraph.
Bribery.
Smuggling.
Immigration violations.
Distribution of, possession with intent to distribute, or
importation of a controlled substance.
Arson.
Kidnapping or hostage taking.
Rape or aggravated sexual abuse.
Assault with intent to kill.
Robbery.
Fraudulent entry into a seaport as described in 18 U.S.C.
1036, or a comparable State law.
Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt
Organizations Act, 18 U.S.C. 1961, et seq. , or a comparable State law, other than the violations listed in Part A, item 10
Conspiracy or attempt to commit felonies listed in Part B.

Of course they have to wait 5 to 7 years to clear, but they do not have a clean record.

Good luck with your future "clean" TWIC crew Teknav!

Tags
Holland, paracelle