Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 09:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
half yacht, Catalac 10m, 1987, Mozambique, USD75,000.00, fully equiped passage maker,

I look for co-owner yacht, we can either use separate half year each owner, or sail together to close by
cruise areas like Madagascar, Tanzania, Comoros, Seychelles (i cruised in 80 ties).

The Catalac 10 m is a 34ft sail cruise catamaran with two staterooms, one 3/4 cabin, down hull galley, one head,

do realize that the yacht is exceptionally well equiped, electronics 3xsonar, radar, 2 chartplotters, autopilot with hydraulic ram

for steering, kimple alu dinghy 4meter of 89 kg with crane off dive platfirm pn stern, outboard of 5hp and 15 hp for dinghy, two

inboard marine diesel engines.........

Please ask more info if interested twerner35@yahoo.comClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1410193314.234121.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	87923Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1410193352.504567.jpg
Views:	1569
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	87924

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-10-2014, 01:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: half yacht, Catalac 10m, 1987, Mozambique, USD75,000.00, fully equiped passage ma

Amazing opportunity, the fact that no-one even enquired rauses my eyebrows.

Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Old 29-10-2014, 12:38   #3

Boat: csy 37
Re: half yacht, Catalac 10m, 1987, Mozambique, USD75,000.00, fully equiped passage ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Amazing opportunity, the fact that no-one even enquired rauses my eyebrows.

Well, lets see. Its located in a remote corner of the globe, half ownership in a boat far from home may be a risky venture, and at $75000 cash up front riskier still. Maybe if you lived nearby...
Old 29-10-2014, 13:04   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Hate to be negative, but you may want to consider the price you have tagged it at would make it $150K. That appears to be substantially out of the market. Add to it the location, and that most people do not want to be in a partnership on a boat, you have three strikes against you.

You can't change the location or that you want a partnership, so the only incentive you have is to post a very attractive price.

This Catalac 10M is in Turkey, for 48,000 pounds which is $77,000 for the whole boat. Many 9M's are substantially under $50K.

You either have to decide that you really can not be in a partnership on the boat at all, or drastically reduce the price. Considering that $77K will get you a whole boat, half would be $38.5, but then you have a large difference in location, and negotiation room, I would suggest you would be lucky to get someone to be a partner for $30K.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.

From many years advising businesses on marketing, an overpriced item will rarely bring people back when a price is reduced. In most cases, if anyone is remotely interested, pricing needs to be reasonable in the first place.
Old 29-10-2014, 23:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Well, lets see. Its located in a remote corner of the globe, half ownership in a boat far from home may be a risky venture, and at $75000 cash up front riskier still. Maybe if you lived nearby...

I hope I am not bewaking rules by copying here a post I did today in other thread.

Misconceptions gallore. Companies like Anadarko, Eni, etc are North of where I liveaboard. The resulting security

at sea is better than USA Coastguard! I might add that after working in seven African countries spread over 20 years

Mozambique is the safest. People are gentle here, social, friendly, just dont be naive with money! Actually because of this

misconception not many cruisers here which makes I find myself most of time alone in some of the most beautiful cruising

grounds of the world, PRICELESS!

Old 29-10-2014, 23:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Hate to be negative, but you may want to consider the price you have tagged it at would make it $150K. That appears to be substantially out of the market. Add to it the location, and that most people do not want to be in a partnership on a boat, you have three strikes against you.

You can't change the location or that you want a partnership, so the only incentive you have is to post a very attractive price.

This Catalac 10M is in Turkey, for 48,000 pounds which is $77,000 for the whole boat. Many 9M's are substantially under $50K.

You either have to decide that you really can not be in a partnership on the boat at all, or drastically reduce the price. Considering that $77K will get you a whole boat, half would be $38.5, but then you have a large difference in location, and negotiation room, I would suggest you would be lucky to get someone to be a partner for $30K.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.

From many years advising businesses on marketing, an overpriced item will rarely bring people back when a price is reduced. In most cases, if anyone is remotely interested, pricing needs to be reasonable in the first place.

I really appreciate your input. My situation calls to charge that USD 75th because to import yacht here in Mozambique is hugely costly, at 90% value . It is worth it because you can anchor off coast of Mozambique, and all other SADC countries in this cruising areas without much problems. The yacht home, base is of a tropucal island in the paradisial Quirimbas Archipelago. Where I keep yacht is actual inside National Parque de Quirimbas, a combination marine and land reserve. I have land on the island and my local crew, a qualified skipper, has his house and family here. The situation saves immediatelly high marina cost for safekeeping yacht. At minimum USD 500 per month in any East African marina, closest being Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania, in one year that adds up to savings of minimum USD500 per month, USD6000 per year. Of course we have to pay the local crew member, but he maintains, yacht condition, engines, provides fresh water, sails with wherever I sail. That has many advantages. If I cruise the ciast of Madagascar and want to go up rivers, or hike inland, I have no worry about the yacht, can enjoy to the full exploration.

Then the yacht is equiped to the A category standard and better of South Africa, off shore category. It has proven integral fresh water tanks, marine diesel engines with high rate alternator floating charging cap, solar panels. A new, 2014, Kimple aluminium Catch 400 dinghy, with 5 and 15hp 2-stroke outbiard, with its own sonar, riws well, and fits snuggly atop my dive platform for any weather! Add to that 2 double and 1 single sit-on-top kayaks.

So because of all this to me the USD75000 is very justified. It cannot be evaluated like a Caribbean cruising, liveaboard situation.
It is very hard work to be able to liveaboard here, once establisged like I am it becomes amazing liveaboard cruising experience with geeat potential, Mayotte 1 day and Madagascar 2 days sailing from here. The Quirimba Archipelago has 32 tropical islands, lots of fantastic weather protected anchorages, rivers. Large part of the coast boast African wildlife like ekephant, wild dogs, bucks, leopard.....

I am also not just happy taking the money! I will scrutinize any prospective oartner for the yacht. It has to be soneone, preferably a couple with great sensitivity for the local population culture. I cannot afford to risk animosity because of attitude of partner. I will also, once I accept a partner give all my details, views on life, culture, religion, liveaboard life.

I know one is tempted to conpare same type yacht with other in other cruising area. It is maybe same basic yacht but serious customizing of mine for this great cruising area added cost.

Old 30-10-2014, 14:15   #7

Quote:
Goosebumps, I'm not questioning the beauty of the cruising grounds. I simply said that it would be difficult to be a half owner of a yacht that was in such an inaccesible place. It would also be expensive; I could charter in some really beautiful places for a fraction of the $75000 you are asking. And a bigger and better yacht as well. And I wouldnt have the maintenance and upkeep costs involved in being a half owner. And then there are the paperwork problems of forming a partnership in a third world country whose laws I am totally unfamiliar with. Just too many negatives, too much chance of something going wrong. And finally, just the fact that you know the names of all the security companies in the area makes me wonder what kind of security the government provides.

Have you considered doing crewed charters with your boat? From your description of the cruising grounds you might come up with a really nice marketing brochure. Could be another way to raise cash....
Old 30-10-2014, 15:31   #8

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

At that price, I think the only way to sell that half-ownership is to include this line in the ad: "...and here's your fully paid-for crew. Such nice girls, but it's a shame they have such loose morals."

Old 01-11-2014, 04:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Goosebumps, I'm not questioning the beauty of the cruising grounds. I simply said that it would be difficult to be a half owner of a yacht that was in such an inaccesible place. It would also be expensive; I could charter in some really beautiful places for a fraction of the $75000 you are asking. And a bigger and better yacht as well. And I wouldnt have the maintenance and upkeep costs involved in being a half owner. And then there are the paperwork problems of forming a partnership in a third world country whose laws I am totally unfamiliar with. Just too many negatives, too much chance of something going wrong. And finally, just the fact that you know the names of all the security companies in the area makes me wonder what kind of security the government provides.

Have you considered doing crewed charters with your boat? From your description of the cruising grounds you might come up with a really nice marketing brochure. Could be another way to raise cash....

All your remarks very true. But tell me if the charter option being cheaper diesnt apply to all ownership of yachts. I personally dont like crowded bays with charter yachts crowded with yachts that are full of holliday majers without much seamanship or yacht etiquette! I offer lonely anchorages ehere you here the birds, the wind, not gensets to support hifis. Paperwork, well half ownership can be registered with very strict marine authorities here! Third wirkd country mind you doesnt stand for poor bureacracy The cost of upkeep, mooring... is so low that after three years you can save USD 20k. My idea of paradise, is anchoring of island with friendly population, in a natural park of Quirimbas, very
secure. Close to most amazing cruising grounds, Mayotte, Comoros, Seychelles, Madagascar, Tanzania....

The companies I mentioned are American, Italian oil companies?

Again I dont have to sell but as I end up travelling a lot of the yacht, cruising certain areas, better to have capable enjoyable partner. To in 2014 talk about inaccessible areas is tantamount to not knowing that there are few places in the world left without charter planes serving them.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:33   #10

"to ME the USD75000 is very justified." (emphasis added)

This is your problem. You are looking at it from the point of view of someone who has already bought into the boat, the price and the cruising grounds.

In sales, perception is everything. You have:
- An older boat that typically sells for 1/2 what you are asking.
- An out of the way cruising ground
- Partial ownership with a stranger
- A cruising ground that is perceived as dangerous (not saying it's true just how it is perceived)

Boat yards are littered with unused boats that have sat for years, who's owner feel their asking price is "justified".

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean to you. They are just trying to point out the reality of your situation. If money and the logistics of maintaining the boat by yourself aren't a problem, you can wait for years. Assuming you doing this because of financial stress or just needing help with ongoing care of the boat, the sooner you take a realistic approach the less money you are likely to lose.
Old 01-11-2014, 19:27   #11

Goosebumps, I'm just expressing my own personal take on this. May not be anyone elses. Good luck to you.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

You can buy a "whole" Catalac for that price here in the US....
Old 16-11-2014, 11:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
You can buy a "whole" Catalac for that price here in the US....
Very true. However how much would it cost: - to equip it as I did; - to deliver it from US to here; - to import it in SADC zone, at 90% of value import tax; - to organize safe permanent mooring?

I think you dont realize that yachts, cars.... are dirt cheap in US. In Maputo, Mozambique a businessman imports motor yachts like bayliners, hateras which he buys for US10,000 in US and sells here for 6 times that.

The fact that the catalac is Mozambique fkag allows us to remain in all 17 SADC
countries unlimited, see how long and at what cist you will stay under US flag.

Old 16-11-2014, 16:57   #14

So the questions still remain.

Who wants to own half of an old boat in Mozambique? And,
Where the hell is Mozambique?
Old 16-11-2014, 17:43   #15
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

The local prices are probably way higher as he points out.
(have only been there with an airplane, not with a boat)
I would recommend advertising the boat, or half of it, localy.
There should be local cruisers
/wannabees who thinks this is a good deal, if
indeed it is.

Tags
catalac, passage, yacht