Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 17:42   #1

Catalac 10m for Circumnavigation ?

I've very much become a fan of recent, mainly due to financial reasons of the Catalac 10m catamarans. Ive read up on them extensively but unfortunately, short of some reviews by sully and talbot on other forums (for which i did find very informative) and the two great reference sites of An Affordable Cruising Catamaran and Your Heading Goes Here, i havent gotten alot of info. Id love to hear any and real world experience and/or opinions that this forum might offer. I'm well aware of the poor windward performance and heavy build, which i see as a plus. My intention would be to hopefully find one in decent condition to start a trade wind circumnavigation
fyodor1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 19:17   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Catalacs have good reputation for build quality. I believe that if you find one that is sound and you prep it properly then it might be good enough for a downwind RTW.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 22:55   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Actually the Catalac 10M is a not a bad sailing boat. Most of these boats are in America and most of the American Boats are in Florida.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 19:49   #4

Putting aside the sailing aspects for a moment, what is everyones opinion in regard to the suitability of its sizebeing able to handle the necessary stores? Also, what sort of pricing could be expected for a well kept cat? Of the few ive seen for sale in the past 12months, they either seem to be sold at a steal or priced unrealistically
Old 20-09-2010, 20:00   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I have an Brit friend here in the marina that brought his over from the UK.

One problem he does have, is keeping the seams dry, especially in the deck areas. Saltwater is no problem but the rain is cancerous.

As a matter of fact there is one for sale here in Seattle. 9M (29 ft.) Catalac Catamaran
Old 20-09-2010, 20:04   #6
cruiser

As delmarrey indicates, they regularly cross the Atlantic.

As for pricing, 10M's are like any other boat. If in good shape and well maintained, they won't be cheap. If neglected, they can be had at a good price.

delmarrey, is the problem the seams or the windows?
Old 21-09-2010, 00:22   #7

Well then, given the choice of one of the older design catamarans - prout, catalac, etc - what would you choose? Ive heard the prouts pound terribly and i like the redundancy of the twin diesels on the catalacs
Old 21-09-2010, 03:08   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor1564 View Post
Well then, given the choice of one of the older design catamarans - prout, catalac, etc - what would you choose?
LOL ..... I have to point out the link in my signature. I can hardly be expected to be objective!!

Seriously, both are great boats and condition of the boat should be the determining factor.
Old 21-09-2010, 04:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I've just done a 3000+ mile delivery of a 9m Catalac from Ipswich, UK to Pendik,Turkey.... They detest headwinds and sea's... I found that the drift factor made tacking a waste of time without the engine and once the waves got to more than 2ft she'd start slamming which would reduce the speed down to a couple of knots and if it went to 5 or over which it did on occassion it was difficult to maintain course/speed as the high windage of the design and wave action would push her sideways even under power....
They slam in the front, middle and stern... water came in at deck joins, windows and, when caught in a real nasty one in the Straits of Gib and were getting waves sweeping over the bow.. it poured in from the topsides.... hatches are crap.
Having said that... from Poole, UK to St Vincente it was a downwind run with winds blowing F5 - F7.... we did it in 8 dry days... there's plenty of room for storage of food and she had a water tank in each hull.. one for the galley and the other for the heads/shower. Two 10hp Beta's + two 45litre tanks.
Would I deliver/sail in one again..... Yes... in spite of her short comings she proved to be a strong.. if not fast boat and great in downwind conditions.
Sadly once in the Med those were few and far between.
Do the Tradewind route east to west and you should be fine.. just pick the most favourable times for each leg.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 05:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

But keep in mind one fact.... these boats were designed as Estuary and Coastal cruisers... not as Ocean cruisers... as stated many have done the crossing but remember its a downhill run...
Get some brakes fitted for the bad days and be prepared to do as we had to in the Marmara... turn and run back before the wind.... better to lose the miles than the boat... oh... and beware those lee shores...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-09-2010, 06:47   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But keep in mind one fact.... these boats were designed as Estuary and Coastal cruisers... not as Ocean cruisers...
Very True, the 8M and 9M are coastal boats, and were built on the same hulls. Although most of the Catalacs here in America arrived here on their own bottoms, mine included, without incident.

The Catalac 10M, which is the boat we are discussing here, is a larger boat with better clearance.

Keep in mind that when making passages in any smallish Cruising Catamaran it's all so important to keep the weight off the ends of the boat.
Old 21-09-2010, 10:36   #12

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I'm biased, I'm a Pout man. I did the first two days with Boatman on the 9m and it just did not compare very well, though they are much cheaper.
The 9m Prout performs a little better in all winds, typically 5 kts instead of 4 in most conditions. Reefing starts at 20+ kts, down wind with a very dirty bottom we were running nicely downwind at 4.5 to 5.5 kts in 30kts of wind with storm stay sail and similar area of genoa deployed. She was holding 70 degrees off the app wind comfortably, any more and I'd have put out the sea anchor. And I'm a beginner.
The 9m Catalac pounded harder, always had to have motors running, and seemed much more tender. Certainly the freeboard is less, cabin space much less useable and the Prout doesn't let water in anywhere.
Personally I'd suggest an old and not so tidy Prout, as big as you can find, because you'll be a six months learning to sail her, and six months getting the interior as you want it. The Prout will out perform it's crew in heavy weather.
10m is a bit on the small side for ocean crossing, 12m is perhaps a good working minimum and does allow for three crew to co-exist comfortably. You'll soon find crew here for some of those long legs, you just provide food and water.
Old 21-09-2010, 14:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ahh Trevor... but it was fun... creeping over sandbanks at low water in the Thames Estuary... banging over short sea's in a strong NE'ly in the Solent....

This is the type of boat Eleven's talking about and I'd tend to agree....
Prout Snowgoose 37 Boats for sale UK, Prout Used boat sales, Prout Sailing Yachts For Sale Prout Snowgoose - Apollo Duck

And if you need it delivered give me and Trevor a shout....lol

Old 21-09-2010, 14:47   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
The displacement looks like she can take two and their supplies without any issues.

Prices reflect the balance between the demand and the supply.

I do not know the 10, but seen many 9 and all of them were priced high. Then again it is a cat, isn't it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:56   #15

Ive read that the 10m is an altogether different beast when it comes to bluewater as she was designed with that purpose in mind?

Tags
catalac, circumnavigation