Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2010, 13:12   #1

Glacier Bay Diesel-Electric Propulsion System $3,000

Twin 25 KW turbo-charged Mercedes common-rail diesel 240v DC generators; Twin 30 HP 240v DC electric drive motors; Canbus cables, display panels, etc.

The generators have 200 hours on them. All components look new. There is likely an invisibly damaged circuit board or canbus cable/repeater.

System new in 2006 was $105,000. Asking $3,000. Located in Fort Myers Beach, FL.
Old 31-10-2010, 16:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi, Interested in the system. Are these two, complete, independent systems or is the damaged component single and common to both?

Will send you a PM.

Skip
Old 31-10-2010, 22:26   #3

Glacier Bay

Hi I would like to communicate with you regarding your system, please PM.
Cheers
Kevin
Old 31-10-2010, 22:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Why woud anyone in their right mind by one of these systems. Only 200 hours and it's gone tits up to the point that they have ripped them out and are selling them for 3% of their original cost.

Electric propulsion only makes sense to a deranged Eco Freak with really really really deep pockets and inexhaustable patience.
Old 01-11-2010, 17:11   #5

Boat: Boro
BOATING only makes sense to a deranged Freak with really really really deep pockets and inexhaustable patience.

Sail propulsion only makes sense to a deranged Eco Freak with really really really deep pockets and inexhaustable patience.
Old 01-11-2010, 17:26   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Seems everybody is right here.
Old 03-12-2010, 18:32   #7

Please email me your contact number at greggegner :at: gmail :dot: com
Old 03-12-2010, 19:31   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I am a deranged Freak with no really really really deep pockets and inexhaustable patience,
and I couldn't afford even a basic sailboat if I didn't have my own dock and FREE MOORAGE !
That's why I bought the house. Heck with the house, it's not falling down, and it's got FREE MOORAGE !!

I wish you good luck with the sale of your system.

Ayn Rand
Old 06-12-2010, 07:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Why woud anyone in their right mind by one of these systems. Only 200 hours and it's gone tits up to the point that they have ripped them out and are selling them for 3% of their original cost.

Electric propulsion only makes sense to a deranged Eco Freak with really really really deep pockets and inexhaustable patience.
Roverhi

You trying to make us electric sailors feel bad and just want to see us cry as we silently motor past the fuel dock? I converted three years ago from diesel to electric and never looked back. While some manufacturers or owners are on a costly learning curve and keep forgetting about the KISS system when it comes to electric propulsion. I would never go back to diesel. I'm no dranged eco freak nor do I have deep pockets. But, $5.00 in maintanence costs over three years makes me do the happy dance as does the lack of oil and diesel smell on board. Someone will snap up this system and make it work in their boat. Just as mine has been for the past three trouble free years. Electric propulsion may not be for everyone but, I think it is the best improvement I have ever made to my boat and cruising trips.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I'm interested in diesel electric as well. I'm just waiting for the durability to rise and the prices to drop.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I had a long talk over several weeks with GB about their system before I put my engine in...it was sure tempting.
I would think GB would be interested in buying that set-up .....all things considered.
Cant me good PR having their stuff in the market for this price!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I had a long talk over several weeks with GB about their system before I put my engine in...it was sure tempting.
I would think GB would be interested in buying that set-up .....all things considered.
Cant me good PR having their stuff in the market for this price!
I called Glacier Bay about three months ago and was told that they had discontinued production of their diesel electric systems to focus on the Climacab truckstop AC products. I did ask him, though the question was moot, what a system for my boat would have cost. Bottom line about triple a new engine or about double new engine and transmission.

Am still very interested in an electric motor drive but not at that premium. Also, all the systems I have found so far are way too small for my boat. Largest I found was 25 HP and I think I need about 40-45. So does anyone know of a larger system that doesn't cost $35,000?
Old 06-12-2010, 23:48   #13

Boat: Boro
sold?

Has this sold?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:01   #14

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post

You trying to make us electric sailors feel bad and just want to see us cry as we silently motor past the fuel dock?
No, he's probably the guy yelling at you from across the mooring field asking you to stop running your generator endlessly to recharge your batteries.

While you silently motor past the fuel dock, does that mean you sneak the GAS for your generator on board under cover of darkness?
I'm glad the experiment is working out for you, but you haven't found a free lunch. all you have done is changed how you consume your fossil fuels.

Now when your system is self-sustaining, needing no fossil-fueled generator to keep the batteries charged, THEN you can be smug.

BTW, I am not an anti-electric bigot. My dinghy is electrically powered, AND sustainably solar- charged. No fossil fuel input, no noise.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
BTW, I am not an anti-electric bigot. My dinghy is electrically powered, AND sustainably solar- charged. No fossil fuel input, no noise.
Very interesting.
I'm thinking that details on that dingy would be an excellent topic for a thread.
Any chance of getting us some pictures and details..i.e.type of dingy, weight, how to you stow it, range, cost...