Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 19:53   #946
DtM

Racing a Mahe 36

Well last weekend we raced in the Lock Crowther Memorial Regatta here in Sydney.

It was a "working sails only" regatta for those of us in the cruising division.

2 races per day with an arbitrary handicap system.

There were 8 boats in the division and on Saturday it blew a good steady 18 knots for the morning race and then 20 to 25 for the afternoon race. it truly blew and the rain made it most unpleasant.

There was just the Admiral, a friend of ours and me on board with the Admiral steering. She had never been racing before let alone steered during racing.

Results: Winner of race 1 and second in race 2 !!!!

There were three Seawind 1000 and other cruisers including an Oram 43 and Crowther 52.

The Seawinds were faster than us downwind but we were 5 degrees higher than them upwind and much faster. For example, in the second race we went around the last mark three boatlengths behind a Seawind and in a 1.5 mile beat we stuck 5 minutes into them.

Sunday saw a change in the weather (or at least the wind). Light and patchy breeze with lots of holes (still raining).

Results were a last and an unable to finish inside time limit.

Again the Seawinds were faster downwind. They are a lot lighter. Once they had a gap the different wind all over the course made it difficult to bridge the gap.

A great weekend and some interesting lessons learned.

You have to be able to barberhaul the headsail off the wind. It allows you to goosewing even when you are not DDW and gives a much better sail shape when reaching.

Even in the gusts on Saturday afternoon which exceeded 25 knots the boat felt stable and in control. We did not reef. the feeling I got was that upwind the leeward hull just bit in a little and gave 2gether heaps of height.

Photos, if we get any, to follow.

daniel and elaine
Old 10-10-2009, 08:23   #947

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The boating season up here starts in April and ends in November which is about 7 months.

Mark
Mark,

You are a sturdier man than me! April and November are for eskimos in CT. May and October push the limits for me. BTW, where did you haul the boat? Doesn't look like Noank Shipyard from the pics, but they are the only ones with a wide enough travelift.

Mark (formally from Mystic).

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56   #948

Boat: Privilege 37
Had a look at a Mahe today for the first time.

I really liked some features, but others left me cold. The engine hatch access from the sugar scoops makes this one a non-starter from my viewpoint. Other features might have been trade offs, but this was a deal-breaker.
Old 10-10-2009, 13:06   #949
DtM

Interesting, why?
Old 11-10-2009, 00:42   #950

bad weather - engine failure! too high a risk to work on the engine.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:41   #951

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Talbot, I don't understand you. There are 2 engines. When one breaks down you use the other one to get into a harbour and fix it there.
Only risk of both engines breaking down could be if your fuel was polluted with water or bacteria, but the two engines have completely different fuel lines and filters.
Furthermore I think that at least 90 % of engine failures is due to insufficient maintenance.

In 44 knots of wind we have had breakers on the sugar scoops. I found some drops of seawater on the engines afterwards, to prevent future rust I have cleaned the engines.
Having the engine access outside keep the heat and the smell out.
Rgds,
Jef
Old 11-10-2009, 05:38   #952

As a Cat owner for over 21 years, I do recognise the redundancy issue. I also recognise the advantage of the engine heat noise and smell kept out of the accomodation. Access such as on the Privilege 39 is acceptable, access such as on the Mahe is NOT FOR ME.

I can recognise that it is acceptable for other people, after all that is why there are different designs of boat available.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55   #953

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
As a Cat owner for over 21 years, I do recognise the redundancy issue. I also recognise the advantage of the engine heat noise and smell kept out of the accomodation. Access such as on the Privilege 39 is acceptable, access such as on the Mahe is NOT FOR ME.

I can recognise that it is acceptable for other people, after all that is why there are different designs of boat available.

Besides, if it is inside one can work on the engine with the air conditioner running.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06   #954

Boat: Mahe 36 KOKOMO
Glad to see someone else is racing.

Larry
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01   #955

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
And winning! Good for you Daniel.
Old 12-10-2009, 17:33   #956

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Hi Guys
I have been quiet for a while as I have been cruising the Queenslad coast and loving "doing nothing". Currently running before a 25-30Kt NW in Hervey Bay. Lazy today so I only have a headsail (furled) up and are doing a steady 7+ Kts in a bumpy sea.

We raced in the cruising division of the Abel Point YC Multihull Rendevous end August which was a lot of fun. We only had 4 boats in the cruising division but in 10Kts or less we were much quicker to windward than a Salina, a Lavezzi and a Perry 57! We also caught some of the PHS racers in cruising style boats (eg: Lightwave 38) on the initial upwind legs in spite of a 5min start dvantage but once they got out the screechers we obviously lost out. All in all I was delighted at how the little Mahe performed. Better go and tend teh sail now
Old 12-10-2009, 18:32   #957
DtM

Hi Martin,

How has your cruise been?

Are you on your way back to Pittwater?

daniel
Old 13-10-2009, 01:30   #958

Cruise has been great. I would say more but my "office" is rocking a lot. The weather the last couple of days sucks and we are in an exposed anchorage. On a schedule so I can't just wait it out.

I am heading back and will be back by around the 26th or so.
Old 13-10-2009, 01:49   #959

It's good to scroll through all the old discussion and catch up on the useful info.

We too have installed curtains in the cupboards, secured by hooks. They have done an excellent job of keeping the contents in is some of the "beautiful one day, perfect the next" Qld weather (seas).

I need to stop the bimini chafing as well. I was going to get the trimmer to sew plastic on but your ideas with tubing sound better.

Has anyone found a cure for the mainsheet catching on the round backrest cushion on the bimini frame?
Old 13-10-2009, 02:18   #960

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB53 View Post
On a schedule so I can't just wait it out.
Ten simple words, that have caused so much grief over the years.
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36