Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 17:33   #1

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
I jumped ship

I've been under contract for a few months on a new Helia 44, but I've bailed out. The whole adventure started with me looking hard at a 3 cabin Salina 48 that was supposedly in "nearly new" condition. But he wanted more money than I was willing to pay for a 9 year old boat, and really, how much can you trust a broker when he says it's "nearly new" condition?

A few months have gone by, and the FP factory pushed my release date back, and back again. I went from an ex-factory date of late April, to now June 19. I expect it to get pushed again. So I hopped on YW again, and behold, the Salina was still there, but with a different broker and for a more palatable price. I made an offer for almost 20K less than the new and improved price, and it was accepted.

A few weeks later, and we found ourselves doing survey, haulout, and sea trials. Loan is approved and we're almost across the finish line. In less than 2 weeks I expect to sign on the dotted line.

The boat really is in nearly new condition. Mast and rig have been off the boat for more than half it's life, and stored indoors. The guy lives on the wrong side of a 50ft bridge and wanted his boat at the house. He's obviously not a sailor, and he used the boat as a very occasional power cat. He had a 12ft carbon pole made to hold the antennas and radar dome. The surveyor said the boat was in remarkable condition for it's age. The biggest issues it has is a seized rudder bearing from non-use, and that the cooking gas was never changed from Butane to Propane. The butane bottle still has gas in it, and it appears the stove and oven have never been lit. Ever.

The boat was also built with Yanmar 75's and we had it doing 10.5 under power during the sea trial. That was certainly fun. No wind though, so we just put up the sails to make sure rodents hadn't got to the otherwise brand new sails.

Atlantic Cruising Yachts had the contract on the Helia, and also were the listing broker on the Salina. They've been nothing but great about moving me from a new boat that they would make money on, to a used boat with little or no commission to be made. The current owner of the Salina is going to buy a power cat from ACY, and has been waiting to sell the Salina first. ACY has agreed to sell the Salina for little or no commission so they could get the power cat deal done. ACY could have made life hard on me so they could pull another used boat buyer in and get two new boat sales, but everyone in their office has been very helpful.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: I jumped ship

Sometimes good things happen.
You must have treated someone well I believe, what goes around, comes around
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 18:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sometimes good things happen.
You must have treated someone well I believe, what goes around, comes around
Really good things. I got the boat under contract a little more than a week before Irma wiped out half the charter boats and used boats in this hemisphere. I expect used boat prices to spike as soon as the insurance checks start rolling in, and the new boat factories get overwhelmed with orders. This one would have been hot property in a couple months.
Old 14-09-2017, 14:19   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

A Salina 48 is a SWEET Cat for sure.

You will have a GREAT time with her.

Congratulation on your new FP ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cool Cat Too_.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	156073  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:25   #5

Congratulations, you certainly seem to have found a needle in a haystack so to speak. Enjoy it!
Old 15-09-2017, 13:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Congratulations, you certainly seem to have found a needle in a haystack so to speak. Enjoy it!
We certainly did. We're very close to landing on a name for her. Not 100% sure yet, but getting closer.

Monoceros. Just as rare as the proverbial needle.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:59   #7

Boat: Colegate 26

I bet Atlantic Cruising Yachts are feeling great about the whole thing. The new Helia will still sell as new, they sold the preowned cat, and they'll be selling another cat to the previous cat owner.

Moving boats is good for business. I hope you got a free hat.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote