Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2020, 04:24   #1906

Re: Weather Routing

Hi, Thanks for the effort you put in. I have a question about routing around the date line (180 deg W/E). Could it be the routing is quirky around this area? I use the weather routing for assistance in the Vendee Globe virtual regatta and see some strange behaviour on that width.
fharland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 06:04   #1907

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fharland View Post
Hi, Thanks for the effort you put in. I have a question about routing around the date line (180 deg W/E). Could it be the routing is quirky around this area? I use the weather routing for assistance in the Vendee Globe virtual regatta and see some strange behaviour on that width.
This is possible, but I thought Sean has resolved that problem. Without digging into it there is no way to determine this.

I think I intended to post my earlier post to Weatherfax
so sorry about that.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 02:16   #1908

Hi !!
Thank you very much for developping the weather routing plugin!

I have a small problem with it and I'm not sure it is the right place to ask for it.

I use it for moreoless one year and I like to use the "route position" windows in order to have better idea of each time step of the calculated route.

But since a few days this windows doesn't work any more.

If a not calculated configuration is selected, it is specified "Cursor outside computed road map" as expected.

If a calculated configuration is selected it gives the information of the first time step and doesn't update following the position of my cursor.

The "cursor position" windows works normally.

Do you have any idea of what happened? And how I can fix it?

Thany you very much!
sparga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 06:16   #1909

I am using version 1.13.19.0 what version are you using?
I find that I cannot get it to complete a routing and the routing fails on No Data.
I've tried most of my tricks. Including Selecting grib time. It works with Climatology data.

What are others finding with this version?

Is there now some data incompatibility with grib_pi?
Old 19-12-2020, 15:13   #1910

I had an old version with openCPN version 5.2.0. That problem appeared so I updated to Open CPN 5.2.4 with weather routing 1.13.19.0. But it did not fix it...

For me the calculation works well with grib and climatology.

I just have to select the grib thick in the data source area of the weather routing configuration.
Old 20-12-2020, 00:17   #1911

Hi!
I investigated a bit more and I understand that my problem appears when the initial point's longitude is between 180°W and 120°W.

Moreover, as fharland I have strange behaviour next to the 180°E/W line.
In particular, it doesn't take into account boundaries that extend on both sides of that line.
Old 22-12-2020, 06:54   #1912

After recompiling Climatology so that it loads and works, I've found that Weather_routing is working with the Route window now. Wx-route did not work earlier, even though I did not have climatology checked to be used!

Here it is working normally not at 180 E/W line
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (64).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	229144  
Old 22-12-2020, 07:48   #1913

Bug Report for Route Position

Quote:
... like to use the "route position" windows in order to have better idea of each time step of the calculated route. But since a few days this windows doesn't work any more.

Quote:
...investigated a bit more and I understand that my problem appears when the initial point's longitude is between 180°W and 120°W.

Moreover, as fharland I have strange behaviour next to the 180°E/W line.
In particular, it doesn't take into account boundaries that extend on both sides of that line.

Quote:
fharland -question about routing around the date line (180 deg W/E). Could it be the routing is quirky around this area? I use the weather routing for assistance in the Vendee Globe virtual regatta and see some strange behaviour on that width.

I went to fiji, downloaded a grib, marked the 180 E/W line with a route and ran a wx-route using the grib. Then played with the route position window.

It appears that the side on the East from 180 ---> descending works, but the side on the West from 180 ---> descending is frozen (at least in that area).

Here is a screenshot. I would be interested in having some more tests done to know more about this problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (65).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	229148  
Old 15-04-2021, 11:01   #1914

Weather_routing has been updated in Plug-in Manager
Old 19-04-2021, 05:58   #1915

Re:Volunteer Needed to Check Polars

Volunteer Needed to check Polars

We would like to expand the number of polar files available in Weather_Routing from about 300 to 700, however we need each and every polar to be checked for proper format and visual conformance (does it look right) using the Polar Plugin. It is quite easy, you just load the polar and look at it. Then "load" the next polar, etc.

If they are not formatted correctly or do not look right place the file should in a fixthis directory.
Occasionally you will find a file that does not work at all and crashes O, simply move those files into a separate "crash" directory.

Volunteers please reply here.
Old 22-04-2021, 17:19   #1916

Hi I have been using openCPN for a few years and playing with the weather routing. I have two issues that I would like to raise a question.

I have the latest version of OpenCPN and have just updated the weather routing plugin

I cannot export a computed weather route. I click on export in the main weather routing pane (while route selected) and nothing happens. I have also tried Ctrl X and clicking the export in the drop down menu. All do nothing.

Secondly I have downloaded the base chart Gshhs but the routing still goes through land. The detect land checkbox is ticked.

Thanks
dralyagmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 04:12   #1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralyagmas View Post
Hi I have been using openCPN for a few years and playing with the weather routing. I have two issues that I would like to raise a question.

I have the latest version of OpenCPN and have just updated the weather routing plugin

I cannot export a computed weather route. I click on export in the main weather routing pane (while route selected) and nothing happens. I have also tried Ctrl X and clicking the export in the drop down menu. All do nothing.

Secondly I have downloaded the base chart Gshhs but the routing still goes through land. The detect land checkbox is ticked.

Thanks

dralyagmas

please advise weatherrouting version and what OS? Is it the lastest release version of Opencpn?

I can confirm using Win10 os Export of route does not work and is a bug which needs to be fixed, however Land avoidance does work. Please check your settings or create a new routing and try again..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (146).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	237079  
Old 23-04-2021, 13:52   #1918

Dave,
You can export a weather route in Windows 10. It's not intuitive but it does work. The export button creates a weather route as a track in the Route and Track Manager. From there you can export the track as a route.
Be Free is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 14:17   #1919

Thanks Bill, you're right. ..Getting a little rusty. I think there should probably be a message to look in Route Manager / Tracks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (147).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	237175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (148).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	237176  

Old 23-04-2021, 14:22   #1920

If you want to talk about what "aught to be" it should probably export a route instead of a track.
Be Free is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather