Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 07:13   #2206

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Weather Routing

Raoul I think I have to remove weather_routing and install it, to find out what has changed. Hang tight, it will be later tonight probably. Sorry.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:53   #2207

Boat: To come

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Until we isolate the problems, my strong suggestion is to disable all plugins except weatherfax_pi, to make sure that the problems are for weatherfax. Then when you are testing weather_routing disable weatherfax and go ahead an enable climatology and grib_pi and vdr_pi as needed.
I have disable all plugins and uninstalled all plugins possible except Weather_Routing.
Restarted clean... Crash is still happening for same reason.

Is-it possible to "clean" OpenCPN.ini file removing parameters for all non used plugins? Is-it possible to reset the ini settings of Weather_Routing or are my settings completely correct?
ALROCHARARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:54   #2208

Quote:
Raoul I think I have to remove weather_routing and install it, to find out what has changed. Hang tight, it will be later tonight probably. Sorry.
Ready for marathon
I'm GMT+2
Old 08-06-2022, 13:25   #2209

Boat: Allegro 33

Dave,

There might be an even easier way to provoke the program to freeze.
If you leave the weather routing window partly outside of the screen the way we discussed before and shut down OpenCPN (You press the X in the upper right corner).
Then, when you start OpenCPN again and invoke weather routing the frame will not show the configurations until you move the weather routing window to the right or inside the screen as before.
You don't have to move the WR-window at all after you started WR to realize it is frozen. This is of course the same "bug" as discussed before but here the text inside the WR-window is frozen.
I don't know but maybe, this is one more clue.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 13:50   #2210

Quote:
See attached debugging & dump analysis.
Hope it can help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WinDBG1.TXT.pdf (5.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf WinDBG2.TXT.pdf (11.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-06-2022, 13:55   #2211

Dave,

Here is another variant.
If you leave the WR-window partly outside the screen and then minimize OpenCPN and again maximize it, the chart is not there. I.e. another freeze.
Probably the same thing as first recognized. The program freezes and the chart is not repainted.

/Hans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blank_page.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	259232  
Old 08-06-2022, 14:43   #2212

Dave,

I managed to catch a hanging when the router was routing on film.
The sequence is as follows.

1) I reset the status of the route by toggling the current box.
2) I press compute. Nothing happens.
3) I move the WR-window to the LEFT notice TO THE LEFT and the old route is deleted but nothing more happens. It's stuck.
4) I move the WR-window to the right and the route starts building.
5) The router nearly finishes but not quite. It's stuck close to the end point.
6) I move the WR-window to the right and the router finishes.

While the router was running I was not moving or clicking the mouse. It got stuck completely by itself.

This behavior is not fully repeatable. It stops, maybe 1 time out of every 3-4 trials.

I have saved my entire C:\ProgramData\opencpn and maybe just maybe you can reproduce this.

I have uploaded the film to my dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n74g10ncxl...7_REC.mp4?dl=0

/Hans
Old 08-06-2022, 14:55   #2213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALROCHARARI View Post
I have disable all plugins and uninstalled all plugins possible except Weather_Routing.
Restarted clean... Crash is still happening for same reason.

Is-it possible to "clean" OpenCPN.ini file removing parameters for all non used plugins? Is-it possible to reset the ini settings of Weather_Routing or are my settings completely correct?

Raoul.
If the plugins are disabled, that is probably enough. (Perhaps Dave will confirm this.) You bring up an interesting thought. Perhaps closing OpenCPN and doing the following will help:
  • Remove: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing and subdirectories
  • Remove weather_routing tarballs: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs\weat her_routing_pi...tar.gz
  • Remove: (type this in the file manager path) %localappdata%\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing_pi
  • Use your text editor to open opencpn.ini and do a search for weather_routing and remove these two sections
Quote:
[PlugIns/weather_routing_pi.dll]
bEnabled=0
[PlugIns/WeatherRouting]

I think if you uninstall weather_routing_pi using PIM, that much of this will be done (I've kind of forgotten.)
Old 08-06-2022, 14:58   #2214

Hans, what do you mean by ...router was routing on film.
weather_routing was routing on ..what? oh, you caught it in action!

Later: That is pretty bizarre, freeze and unfreeze calculations by moving the menu!
Old 08-06-2022, 15:11   #2215

Dave,

Some more info.
As long as you keep the WR-window inside the screen WR seems to work.
I repeated 10 routes (the same route) with the WR-window inside and all 10 did finish as they should.
I then placed the window partly outside and 6 out of 10 did not finish. When I got 3 consecutive good routes I restarted OpenCPN and got one more faulty and ended up with one good.
So the sequence was:
5 bad ones
3 good and I restarted OpenCPN
1 bad
1 good.

I can't say why after 5 bad ones I was getting 3 good. This seems to be the nature of this bug.

/Hans
Old 09-06-2022, 06:29   #2216

Quote:
Raoul.
If the plugins are disabled, that is probably enough. (Perhaps Dave will confirm this.) You bring up an interesting thought. Perhaps closing OpenCPN and doing the following will help:
  • Remove: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing and subdirectories
  • Remove weather_routing tarballs: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs\weat her_routing_pi...tar.gz
  • Remove: (type this in the file manager path) %localappdata%\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing_pi
  • Use your text editor to open opencpn.ini and do a search for weather_routing and remove these two sections

I think if you uninstall weather_routing_pi using PIM, that much of this will be done (I've kind of forgotten.)
Hello Rick,

This is what I did:

1. Disable WeatherRouting 1.13.43.0 in Options / Plugins
2. Uninstalled WeatherRouting 1.13.43.0 in Options / Plugins
3. Closed OpenCPN 5.6.2
4. Deleted C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.log
5. Deleted C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing folder
6. Checked tarballs. Folder C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs is completely empty
7. Checked %localappdata%\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing_pi : not present. Nothing to delete. Only 4 default ones present (chardldr_pi/dashboard_pi/grib_pi/wmm_pi.
8. Removed in opencpn.ini 3 sections: [PlugIns/weather_routing_pi.dll] / [PlugIns/WeatherRouting] / [PlugIns/WeatherRouting/BoatDialog] No more reference to WeatherRouting
9. Restarted OpenCPN 5.6.2
10. Reinstalled WeatherRouting 1.13.43.0 successfully
11. Icon of WeatherRouting is not visible in left dropdown icons bar

IMPROVEMENT: Icon should be present immediately after installation of plugin

12. Closed OpenCPN 5.6.2
13. Restarted OpenCPN 5.6.2
14. Icon now present. Starting WeatherRouting 1.13.43.0
15. Displaying "New or updated data available". Imported new boats and polars and also example configurations
16. WeatherRouting window opened successfully.
17. Edited configuration Lizard-Pt to La-Palma-Canaries. Isochrones every hour, changed boat with Bénéteau Oceanis 46.1 polars and saved it as new boat. Used it for this configuration. Result is failure no data which is normal
18. Activated Grib
19. Loaded Grib data for region from UK to Canarias
20. Loaded Grib plugin with success
21. Opened WeatherRouting
22. Edited configuration again to add "Grib" as data source
23. Made calculation. Finishing with "Grib failure" (Probably because too long for 8 days grib)

IMPROVEMENT: When resizing columns in Configurations or Positions, they are resetted when calculating. This should not be the case.

24. Closed WeatherRouting
25. Created 200nm route and selected WeatherRouting Analysis
26. Edited loaded configuration 001 to change start time
27. Executed calculation which completed successfully but without displaying route or isochrones

IMPROVEMENT: When selecting a configuration, a left mouse click is OK. When selecting a position, a left mouse click is not working, you need a right mouse click. This should be a left mouse click.

BUG: No route displayed, no isochrones displayed. Or do I do something wrong.

28. Extended route from 200 to 827nm
29. Executed calculation which completed successfully but without displaying route or isochrones

IMPROVEMENT: When positionning mouse on route route length is mentionned 1 nm shorter that length mentionned in "Distance" column of "Configurations" in WeatherRouting. This should be the same.

BUG: No route displayed, no isochrones displayed. Or do I do something wrong.

30. Wanted to update Climatology to 1.4.24.0

BUG: Download error. The requested URL returned error: 404

31. Activated Climatology 1.4.24
32. Opened Climatology which mentionned that some data were not loaded and asked me to do it. Downloading of climatology data files (39) completed successfully.
33. Recalculated WeatherRouting configuration Lizard-Pt to Canarias.
34. Route calculation happened. Route & Isochrones displayed.

BUG: My assumption is that calculation of routes and isochrones is done only with Climatology data and not with Grib data

BUG: Zooming with the bottom right "+" button finished by an OpenCPN freeze.

From there, please tell me what you expect me to do or provide you as info.

Good luck with the next steps.
Best regards,
Raoul
Old 09-06-2022, 07:15   #2217

Dave,

One Other thing.
Every time OpenCPN freezes the CPU-load for the CPU-process goes up to 30% and stays there until you release it by moving the window. When the route is finished the load goes down to fractions of a %.
This happens in any of the cases I have described earlier.

/Hans
Old 09-06-2022, 08:47   #2218

I think I have found the issue of my routes/isochrones not displayed/calculated
Not related to grib or climatology data selection.

Created a route and selected weather routing analysis
==> no route/isochrones

Removed the configuration and created one myself in WeatherRouting directly
==> route/isochrones are processed and displayed correctly

BUG is in the way the configuration is created from the route.
I checked all the parameters accessible in Basic & Advanced. They were all the same so the problem is somewhere else.
My assumption is that the mistake is the inclusion of GUID parameter in C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routing\Wea therRoutingConfiguration.xml

See differences:
<Configuration GUID="4474ffff-ec13-4884-894d-d5a335780000" Start="001" StartDate="2022-06-10" StartTime="10:00:00" End="002" dt="10800" Boat="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routi ng\boats\Oceanis_46.1.XML" Integrator="0" MaxDivertedCourse="90" MaxCourseAngle="180" MaxSearchAngle="120" MaxTrueWindKnots="100" MaxApparentWindKnots="100" MaxSwellMeters="20" MaxLatitude="90" TackingTime="0" WindVSCurrent="0" AvoidCycloneTracks="0" CycloneMonths="1" CycloneDays="0" UseGrib="1" ClimatologyType="0" AllowDataDeficient="0" WindStrength="1" DetectLand="1" SafetyMarginLand="0" DetectBoundary="0" Currents="1" OptimizeTacking="1" InvertedRegions="0" Anchoring="0" FromDegree="0" ToDegree="180" ByDegrees="5"/>

<Configuration Start="001" StartDate="2022-06-10" StartTime="10:00:00" End="002" dt="10800" Boat="C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\weather_routi ng\boats\Oceanis_46.1.XML" Integrator="0" MaxDivertedCourse="90" MaxCourseAngle="180" MaxSearchAngle="120" MaxTrueWindKnots="100" MaxApparentWindKnots="100" MaxSwellMeters="20" MaxLatitude="90" TackingTime="0" WindVSCurrent="0" AvoidCycloneTracks="0" CycloneMonths="1" CycloneDays="0" UseGrib="1" ClimatologyType="4" AllowDataDeficient="0" WindStrength="1" DetectLand="1" SafetyMarginLand="0" DetectBoundary="0" Currents="1" OptimizeTacking="1" InvertedRegions="0" Anchoring="0" FromDegree="0" ToDegree="180" ByDegrees="5"/>

Made the test removing GUID="4474ffff-ec13-4884-894d-d5a335780000". Worked like a charm !

Hope it help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Evidences 002.zip.pdf (1.52 MB, 6 views)
Old 09-06-2022, 14:26   #2219

Hello,

BUG:
New crash detected on Windows 11.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r9krf6ueu...oOTXG705a?dl=0
Crashing when zooming in

BUG:
When you look on the route proposed after zooming in, you see the route passing over ground.

Hope it help.
Old 09-06-2022, 14:42   #2220

Raoul,

This reminds me of something I also experienced and mentioned a few days back but for me it happened while routing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Often OpenCPN hangs while routing. It simply stops and you need to move the window to make it continue. Other times when you move the window the chart/screen turns shaded gray and the program says it does not answer.
Then your only option is to kill the process and start all over again.
/Hans
Do you need to kill the program or does it terminate by itself ?
If you need to kill it, it might be related to what I have seen.

/Hans

Tags
paracelle, weather