Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2022, 12:35   #16

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: The Frustrated Newb....

OpenPlotter is Debian Bullseye with the OpenPlotter extra's. If you allready use Debian Bullseye 64 or Ubuntu or Linux Mint for AMD64. You can add some the OpenPlotter extra's also to the other distibuties.

Here is running the AIS with RTL-DSR reception on the Linux Mint AMD64, Ubuntu Kinetic and Debian Bullseye for the RPI4.

A nice feature of the OpenPlotter extra's is the Wifi access point and the build-in VNC server. You must switch the VNC server to on. With a VNC client on an other system. You can use the RPI Desktop on other systems. Here wireless on a Ipad and other systems like a Chromebook.

This feature only works on the RPI.

The signalk server: Login and go tot he webbapps. Set to all, not only the latest additions.

I use the application MXTommy can be installed by clicking on the cloud on the left.

With this application you can make your own instruments for all the data in SignalK. Can use over the network on other systems. Is can run in every browser.

In SignalK there also the app to connect with the Seatalk network version 1. Therefore you need a small item with a cost around a few dollars. The only thing you have to do is replacing a resister.

SignalK contains Canboat, which read NMEA2000 input and tranfer to other data formats. But you need a canbus adapter. I'am using here the small and cheap Canable board. Which works very well with 2 way transfer to and from the nmea2000 bus.

That so far for now.

Here the image of the boards and USB sticks I use:

left the board for Seatalk 1, the Canable board, For the RPI4 I'am using the small Samsung Fit USB stick with 64 GB. Runs just as fast as an USB3 SSD (in the middle).

Like to test another OS ?Then put another stick in the RPI. Making a back-up is also possible with the Pi-clone (Copy SD)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6533.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	268090  
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2022, 12:52   #17

Boat: Belliure 50 SY

Im having fun exploring SigK, so many plugins and web apps!!

The RTLSDR works, but I cant calibrate it very well where I am at the moment. Been thinking about a dAISy Hat anyway, perhaps Ill get real crazy and get a Vesper AIS.....
Belliure 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 02:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belliure 50 View Post
can anyone give me an idea of why im seeing good GPS reception but not seeing Satellites or the GNSS compass rose displayed on the dashboard?
SignalK sat info is not available in this application. If you use the MXTommy instruments you can see all the data.

There is also an OpenPlotter applicatie so you can see which data is running in the Signalk server. There you can see also the PNG info.

If you like to use the SignalK data on another system with OpenCPN. Then set connection: signalk (Ip adres of the system) 3000 instead of localhost.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Schermafdrukvan2022-06-0321-39-45.png
Views:	52
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	268135  
Old 01-12-2022, 02:03   #19

Boat: Najad 34

In next OCPN version N2k satellite data is seen in the Dashboard instrument "GNSS Status".
It uses PGN 129540 and 129029.
To test N2k data in OCPN try the alpha test O version 5.7.1
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 22:58   #20

So, just arrived back from the boat after having much success!!

It seems that from my balcony window at home I have a somewhat crappier view of the sky than i thought and it is this that has been giving me probs with the GPS. I set it up in Spain on the boat and with a few minutes I had loads of Satellites and position fixed.

Ive also come to discover that the SDR-VHF calibration method needs to be tweaked by its developers. I had a really hard time doing the initial Calibration on the GSM900 band, and only very few GSM900 channels in Spain. Then I realized its all now 5G around my home and 75% 5G around the boat now. So the GSM900 initial Calibration for the SDR isnt going to work so well now most antennas are operating in the C-Band (3.4Ghz)

I was able to calibrate the SDR VHF well enough in spain to get AIS working really well. I was picking up vessels at 15 miles offshore.

I'm still flip flopping between Linus Mint + Sailoogs Openplotter and the RPi with openplotter. So far the Pi is the better performer.

One issue on Mint is that Open CPN seems to crash after about an hour. Where can I find an event log or such that could help me understand why this is happening?
Old 07-12-2022, 06:00   #21

Good to hear your quick learning of all the options Linux offers. Have you allready tried the VNC server with on an Ipad and VNC client ? The VNC server must be set on in the RPI settings.

Stiil a frustrated newbe ?

Regards,

Bram
Old 07-12-2022, 07:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Good to hear your quick learning of all the options Linux offers. Have you allready tried the VNC server with on an Ipad and VNC client ? The VNC server must be set on in the RPI settings.

Stiil a frustrated newbe ?

Regards,

Bram

Not tried it with VNC yet. My next steps are to connect wind, depth and Log, but I wont be back onboard for another 2 weeks. I guess I could try the VNC and ipad setup here at home in the meantime.

Still trying to work out why OCPN on Mint crashes after an hour or so. I think it might have something to do with the GPS....
Old 07-12-2022, 07:49   #23

According to my GPS my apartment is making way on a bearing of 215 at a comfortable 5.15 knots....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221207_163418.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	268433  
Old 09-12-2022, 07:01   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

I am playing with a Raspberry PI 3+ running Lysmarine BBN. (Bullseye with preloaded software, including Signal-K & OpenCPN.) I have a PICAN-M hat to connect to my NMEA2000 network. I've only done one test setup and it worked fine. I still have to learn to configure it all. (I would prefer OS/2, but must use LoseDoze at home. Little experience with Linux variants.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 13:45   #25

Lofty goal. It takes very little instruments to sail.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 14:49   #26

With the (relatively) low cost and portability of a RPi especially connected to either a cheap self powered 10 inch touch display screen, or at worst, a cheap 12V TV, why not go both routes?
A Raspberry Pi, and a laptop running Mint 21, and both running similar software.

That would give you a range of backup / redundancy options - and you're still using Linux.

The Linux distros are really only different in the way that different releases of Windows are different. They 'Look Wrong' until you get used the where a few things are.
However, the Apps you are using generally have everything in the same place even if they sort of 'Look Wrong' due to things having different colours and decorations (like menu colours and titie bars).
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:29   #27

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Follow
Old 14-12-2022, 13:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdv8 View Post
With the (relatively) low cost and portability of a RPi especially connected to either a cheap self powered 10 inch touch display screen, or at worst, a cheap 12V TV, why not go both routes?
A Raspberry Pi, and a laptop running Mint 21, and both running similar software.

That would give you a range of backup / redundancy options - and you're still using Linux.

The Linux distros are really only different in the way that different releases of Windows are different. They 'Look Wrong' until you get used the where a few things are.
However, the Apps you are using generally have everything in the same place even if they sort of 'Look Wrong' due to things having different colours and decorations (like menu colours and titie bars).

rossdv8, I agree. I think I've settled on the Rpi + openmarine as a primary. Ill setup the Lenovo i7 core machine with Mint. Ill run it primarily as a Media machine + OpenMarine backup.
Ive a second Rpi that is ear marked for my Lithium batt install monitoring, but thats still some time away. Might use it as a dedicated SigK server.

Ill be back on the boat end of next week so Ill be able to play about further. Ill have a new Raymarine Tridata + wind sensor to install and test. Hope my Canbus hat arrives in time.
Old 14-12-2022, 14:09   #29

Hi B40,

with kind of canbus adapter are you going to use ? De best way is via the SignalK server. But with the coming OpenCPN version 5.8, now alfa version 5.7.1,you can input NMEA2000 from the canbus direct in OpenCPN.

Interesting to know is that the route can be tranfered from one system to another.

Also can route info made in OpenCPN transfered to the SignalK server and from there to the NMEA2000 bus.

And OpenPlotter extra's can also be installed in Linux Mint Vanessa for AMD64. Running here with calibration version for AIS reception with an RTL-DSR dongle.

Still a lot to explore.

Bram
Old 15-12-2022, 11:20   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Hi B40,

with kind of canbus adapter are you going to use ? De best way is via the SignalK server. But with the coming OpenCPN version 5.8, now alfa version 5.7.1,you can input NMEA2000 from the canbus direct in OpenCPN.

Interesting to know is that the route can be tranfered from one system to another.

Also can route info made in OpenCPN transfered to the SignalK server and from there to the NMEA2000 bus.

And OpenPlotter extra's can also be installed in Linux Mint Vanessa for AMD64. Running here with calibration version for AIS reception with an RTL-DSR dongle.

Still a lot to explore.

Bram

Bram, was gonna experiment with a PiCan, just to get data into SigK and let the sigK do the translating.
Ver 5.8 sounds exciting, but either way Ill need a physical interface, or a wifi connection.

Agree theres much more to explore.

For some reason OCPN is crashing on Mint Vanesa on the i7Core AMD64. Usually when the GPS (prolific chipset) aquires a proper position fix. It doesnt crash when I use a different GPS puck, or when connected to the Rpi.
Is there a log i can look at to see whats causing OCPN to crash?

Cheers,

Karl