Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2024, 18:07   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
TCP data from AIS/GPS drops out periodically

I've notice this problem in OpenCPN where every 30s or so, the GPS position is temporarily lost for a few seconds, and then returns. It's only mildly annoying, but I feel like it shouldn't be occurring at all.

See this video for an example, which also is showing the NMEA debug window:
https://youtu.be/Yt1keDM_ub4

• AIS unit is an ACR AISLink CB2 sending AIS targets and GPS data over TCP.
  • AIS unit is connected via WiFi to a router.
  • Router is connected with an ethernet cable directly to the mini PC running OpenCPN.
  • All other connections in OpenCPN are disabled during this testing

It looks to me like the AIS unit is sending data every 1s -- maybe that's too frequent for some reason?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 20:01   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: TCP data from AIS/GPS drops out periodically

It looks to me like there is no data received at all for 10s between :46 and :56, in which case the position is obviously timing out and reappears as soon as new data is received at :56.
The reason for that may be pretty much anything (But I somewhat doubt OpenCPN based on what I see in the video). To completely discard fault on OpenCPN side, you may download PuTTY from https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~...ty/latest.html and set it up like on the attached screenshot. You should see a constant flow of NMEA0183 messages in the window that appears, if it ever stops for a few seconds, something else in your system is at fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puttty.png
Views:	20
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	285477  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 20:14   #3

That's a good idea, I'll do that when I'm over at the boat tomorrow.
Old 21-01-2024, 00:06   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Send data using UDP instead of TCP?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 18:16   #5

I'll try that too. When I was on the boat today I connected to putty and the data came in continuously without periodic interruption -- but I only watched it for a few minutes. It was dropping out every 20-30s while we were sailing today in OpenCPN, so the issue definitely persists.

I'll try UDP too. One thing that might also be relevant is that when I can't seem to get both my magnetic compass data (coming in on NMEA0183 through a USB dongle) and the TCP data from the AIS/GPS at the same time. Enable the TCP connection seems to prevent the NMEA0183 data on the COM3 port from coming in after about 20 seconds. I also noticed that enabling/disabling connections and checking "show NMEA debug window on/off will sometimes fix this particular issue, at least temporarily. However, this issue with the GPS is independent of the COM port data, as it has always been present before I was even attempting to bring that data in.

The other thing I could try is sending the data to my SignalK server that is running on the same device, and instead having SignalK send the data over to OpenCPN.
Old 21-01-2024, 18:39   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Ryan, just a reminder, it never hurts to filter Out stuff you do not need or want, from within Opencpn, under Connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I'll try that too. When I was on the boat today I connected to putty and the data came in continuously without periodic interruption -- but I only watched it for a few minutes. It was dropping out every 20-30s while we were sailing today in OpenCPN, so the issue definitely persists.

I'll try UDP too. One thing that might also be relevant is that when I can't seem to get both my magnetic compass data (coming in on NMEA0183 through a USB dongle) and the TCP data from the AIS/GPS at the same time. Enable the TCP connection seems to prevent the NMEA0183 data on the COM3 port from coming in after about 20 seconds. I also noticed that enabling/disabling connections and checking "show NMEA debug window on/off will sometimes fix this particular issue, at least temporarily. However, this issue with the GPS is independent of the COM port data, as it has always been present before I was even attempting to bring that data in.

The other thing I could try is sending the data to my SignalK server that is running on the same device, and instead having SignalK send the data over to OpenCPN.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cal, gps