Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2024, 11:27   #1

Suppress Opencpn safe restart message box

Hello
If I reboot the Rpi 5 then OpenCPN shows a safe restart box for 15 seconds. I read there was a way of setting this to, say, 1 second in the config but I can't find it. Or is there a way to suppress the dialog all together?
I know OpenCPN should be closed gracefully and I am trying to think of a way of doing that, perhaps from a hardware button to shut down the whole pi (any ideas anyone?) but for now, can I get a way of opening it after a reboot without having it timeout.
Thanks
jimseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 11:52   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Suppress Opencpn safe restart message box

You may delete the file _OpenCPN_SILock in OpenCPN's configuration directory with some script before starting it.
You are calling for a disaster by not shutting down your system correctly, but you know that.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 13:05   #3

That doesn't seem to work for me. When you say disaster, do you mean with the Pi or with OpenCPN? Because I can shut the Pi down cleanly. I'm trying to find a way of powering off the pi with a button somehow (yet to be achieved), maybe trigger a script to do it. Basically, if one switches off a chart plotter it comes back without complaint. I'm trying to find a way of doing that. I don't mind how and I would like to know if I can programatically shut down openCPN or suppress/bypass the dialog.
Old 21-01-2024, 13:16   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

If you see that dialog on next start, it means you are NOT shutting it down cleanly. If you did, and the opencpn process would receive a SIGHUP or SIGTERM as it should during a clean shutdown, you would not have to ask this question.

Yes, you can programatically shutdown OpenCPN or any other well written application by sending it a SIGTERM or SIGHUP signal. You of course need to take into account that finishing an application takes some time, so you must allow a short period of time before continuing with SIGKILL or cutting the power.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 13:28   #5

OK. Thanks. So pkill opencpn sorts it.

Tags
enc, opencpn