Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 09:16   #1

Prevent having to restart OpenCPN when reception to AIS

Hello,

Every time our Vesper crashes or needs to reboot, OpenCPN loses gps signal and it seems the only way to get it back is by restarting OpenCP.

Anybody knows a trick about that, or how to fix it even?
NaturalBornCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 09:30   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Prevent having to restart OpenCPN when reception to AIS

We have a Vesper connected and don't have that problem, however, we do occasionally have comms hiccups with other devices. I usually find that going into the "Tools-Options-Connections" tab in OpenCPN, unticking the "enable" box on the offending comms link, clicking "OK" to close the tab and then going back in and reversing the process usually re-starts the comms.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 20:11   #3

Boat: Gemini 3200

I have a dAISy which doesn't interfere with the operation of OpenCPN in any way. The AIS signal goes away when I unplug the dAISy and reappears when I plug in the dAISy again.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 21:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We have a Vesper connected and don't have that problem, however, we do occasionally have comms hiccups with other devices. I usually find that going into the "Tools-Options-Connections" tab in OpenCPN, unticking the "enable" box on the offending comms link, clicking "OK" to close the tab and then going back in and reversing the process usually re-starts the comms.
Thanks for the tip, wish there was a way to detect these automatically, or a plugin that reconnects when connection is lost.
Old 31-10-2018, 21:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
I have a dAISy which doesn't interfere with the operation of OpenCPN in any way. The AIS signal goes away when I unplug the dAISy and reappears when I plug in the dAISy again.

Fabbian
That might be because it's plugged in and when a device is connected over network, it doesn't reconnect
Old 01-11-2018, 03:23   #6

Boat: First 18

I also see something related: I use OpenCPN on my laptop but my gps signal comes over the network from a RPI which has the real GPS receiver.

Each time my laptop goes to sleep and I resume it, OpenCPN doesn't receive the GPS signal anymore. I have to either restart OpenCPN entirely or, as described above, disable/re-enable the link manually).

This is really a pity, I told myself I would have a look at the code and try to fix it somehow, but haven't got the time yet.
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:16   #7

It would be very nice indeed of this could be fixed.. I have not touched c++ in so many years and don't have a C development environment anymore though so that won't be possible for me :/
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
I also see something related: I use OpenCPN on my laptop but my gps signal comes over the network from a RPI which has the real GPS receiver.

Each time my laptop goes to sleep and I resume it, OpenCPN doesn't receive the GPS signal anymore. I have to either restart OpenCPN entirely or, as described above, disable/re-enable the link manually).

This is really a pity, I told myself I would have a look at the code and try to fix it somehow, but haven't got the time yet.
Sounds strange, I use the same with no problems at all - running openplotter on a rasp pi then the win10 laptop (or android tablet) connects either to the openplotter network or the mobile phone network which the Pi is also connected to. Data is send as TCP, never a problem reconnecting when sleeping, hibernating or rebooted.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Sounds strange, I use the same with no problems at all - running openplotter on a rasp pi then the win10 laptop (or android tablet) connects either to the openplotter network or the mobile phone network which the Pi is also connected to. Data is send as TCP, never a problem reconnecting when sleeping, hibernating or rebooted.

My laptop runs Linux, not sure if this makes a difference.

Also, I'm not running OpenPlotter on my RPi, just bare gpsd... I'll try with OpenPlotter over the weekend if I get the chance.

Stelian.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

In case problems under Linux, see link: https://vitux.com/restore-running-ap...ion-in-ubuntu/
Quote:
My laptop runs Linux, not sure if this makes a difference.

Also, I'm not running OpenPlotter on my RPi, just bare gpsd... I'll try with OpenPlotter over the weekend if I get the chance.

Stelian.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 13:00   #11

Quote:
I'll try with OpenPlotter over the weekend if I get the chance.

In fact I just tried this at home and it works ok with openplotter (TCP:10110 connection).

So the problem is only when using gpsd directly, and may be caused by gpsd itself not OpenCPN.

Tags
ais, enc, opencpn, reception