Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2023, 07:47   #1

Boat: Cal 27
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 (Android 9) Unusable Slow

Using either ENC or RNC charts, it takes 5-6 seconds to respond to a swipe of the finger on the map to move it. Using zoom buttons and other interface buttons work fine. Google Earth app and Google maps work fine as far as panning goes.

I seem to remember OpenCPN working when first installed but then an Android update occurred and now panning in OpenCPN is unusable. I've factory reset the device and fresh installed OpenCPN but no change.

Any Suggestions?
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 08:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 (Android 9) Unusable Slow

cas

What version of OpenCPN for Android are you running?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 08:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
cas
What version of OpenCPN for Android are you running?

5.8.4 [105]
Old 31-12-2023, 08:58   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

are charts on a microSD drive?
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2023, 17:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
are charts on a microSD drive?

They were originally. But when I had this issue, I changed the storage to the tablet instead. Downloaded a minimal set of charts and the issue persists.
Old 31-12-2023, 21:52   #6

Update: I removed the microSD, Factory Reset device again, sideloaded OpenCPN on clean device. With no charts, just the default background, the map moves very smoothly. I downloaded just one US state worth of map data (RNC/ENC). The map panning is a bit jittery but definitely usable.

- Maybe it was having the entire US chart data installed?
- Maybe there was a glitch due to copying the chart data off a microSD, the first time?
- Something else?

Will be downloading the entire US RNC charts over night and see if the problem comes back.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:25   #7

When I kept the entire US chart collection on the tablet it ran very slowly. That duty is now assigned to the PC. The tablet gets just the charts required for a cruising area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
Update: I removed the microSD, Factory Reset device again, sideloaded OpenCPN on clean device. With no charts, just the default background, the map moves very smoothly. I downloaded just one US state worth of map data (RNC/ENC). The map panning is a bit jittery but definitely usable.

- Maybe it was having the entire US chart data installed?
- Maybe there was a glitch due to copying the chart data off a microSD, the first time?
- Something else?

Will be downloading the entire US RNC charts over night and see if the problem comes back.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 18:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

Portage...

Just so I understand fully:
With all US charts loaded, and zoomed-in to a reasonable navigation view, the performance is poor?
But if you remove all charts except for the region being displayed, and restart, then the performance recovers?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 21:03   #9

Quote:
Portage...

With all US charts loaded, and zoomed-in to a reasonable navigation view, the performance is poor?
But if you remove all charts except for the region being displayed, and restart, then the performance recovers?

Thanks
Dave

Yes. I'm back to 5 sec response time to panning just with a portion of a single chart displayed. All US RNC and ENC charts are downloaded to tablet. No microSD installed.

- I put all RNC's in a Chart group and all ENC's in another chart group. Same behavior with either chart group selected.
- I made a third chart group with just a single RNC chart. No change in performance.

- I stopped OpenCPN. I deleted the ENC folder with files app. I started OpenCPN. No change in performance.
- I went to Chart Settings and forced a database rebuild. Performance is much better. There is a noticeable pause when panning but under 1 second.

So if we ignore my message #5 (not sure what happened there), the issue appears to be with database performance when many files are indexed? This performance hit appears to be unaffected by chart group layout.

Obviously, I don't need both chart types for the entire US. Just a habit I formed from using OpenCPN on a laptop. Acceptable performance can be achieved by keeping the number of charts to just the ones I am likely to need.
Old 01-01-2024, 21:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_bay View Post
When I kept the entire US chart collection on the tablet it ran very slowly. That duty is now assigned to the PC. The tablet gets just the charts required for a cruising area.

Yes. That's what I've concluded too. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:53   #11

Dave,

On the tablet I currently have ENC and RNC for Ak, Or, Wa and Hi loaded. Performance is very poor at any zoom level, especially panning. ENC performance is far worse than RNC, nearly not usable. I've tried reboot the tablet and force full database rebuild. Next step will be strip out Or and Hi because I don't need those.

I'm not at all sure this is an OCN problem. I suspect it is a tablet hardware or OS problem. I'm leaning towards hardware. I use OCN on the tablet, a phone and two PCs.

Comparing my 4 devices is why I suspect a hardware problem. Not so much a problem as the age of the system and the processor.

Tablet OCN 5.8.4 [105]. Android 12. Galaxy Tab A7. Nearly every app on this tablet is slow. Main use is backup nav.

Phone OCN 5.8.4 [105]. Android 14. Samsnung S22. Performance is very good. ENC and RNC for Wa and Or. This one is backup to the backup.

PC 1 Lenovo idea pad. OCN 5.8.5-0+1637c28. Windows 11. Performance is very good. Most of the ENC and RNC charts for the US as well as O-charts for BC. This is my main nav setup.

PC 2 is an older Dell. Not here at the moment so cannot give OCN version. Windows 10. All US ENC and RNC charts. Performance is much slower than the Lenovo. This is my primary at home planning setup.

Quote:
Portage...

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-01-2024, 12:08   #12
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Take into account that newly installed charts - ENCs and RNCs - will be processed at a first usage. Zooming in on them for example will trigger that process. ENCs are converted into the internal SENC format for OpenCPN for example. This does take time.
When you come back to the same region later on the prepared information will be presented. Faster then.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Take into account that newly installed charts - ENCs and RNCs - will be processed at a first usage. Zooming in on them for example will trigger that process. ENCs are converted into the internal SENC format for OpenCPN for example. This does take time.
When you come back to the same region later on the prepared information will be presented. Faster then.

The 5 second delay in panning, with full chart load, persisted for up to 3 days before I started investigating. But good observation to keep in mind. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2024, 19:52   #14

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I also had this problem on my Samsung tablet after an update about three years ago. Eventually I solved it by reducing the scaling levels for the charts. You can do this in the advanced settings tab.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 06:41   #15

Dave,

Apologize for taking so long for a good response to you. Sometimes other things in life are higher priority than boating.

Since my last posts here OCN's perfomance on my Andorid tablet became unuable. Any attempt to pan froze OCN. At any zoom level. Even with a reduced set of charts, which previously had helped.

Digging around with Windows file explorer and the X-plore app I found chart folders on both internal and SD card storage. Some were redundant.

To clean up the mess I uninstalled OCN, checked with file explorer and X-plore to be sure all traces were gone especially chart folders. Reinstalled OCN and installed charts for Ak, Wa, Or and Hi using chart downloader.

Performance has returned to what I expect from this tablet. It is clear that the problem was self inflicted. I wanted to move charts from internal to SD card to save space in internal. Andorid file management being what it is and my inept attempts to deal with Android created the mess.
Quote:
Portage...

Thanks
Dave

Tags
USA