Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2023, 09:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Questions for Mac users

Hello all active Mac users!

As part of the development process going forward, I have some questions for active OpenCPN users on Mac. Any detailed input/discussion would be greatly appreciated

0. What Mac hardware are you mostly using? Is it a "hand-me-down" for the boat, or your main Mac machine?

1. What version of MacOS are you running?
2. What version of OpenPCN are you running?
3. Is it your personal practice to upgrade MacOS version when updates are offered from Apple?

4. Is it your practice to try to run the latest MacOS version compatible with your particular hardware?

I am not a Mac-guy myself, regularly. So this input will be very useful to me, and the other devs.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2023, 09:24   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I
Re: Questions for Mac users

Happy to lend a datapoint
  1. My primary device is my 2020 M1 13-inch MacBook Pro. I plan to upgrade to a M3 iMac in the new year.
  2. macOS Sonoma
  3. OpenCPN 5.8.4
  4. Yes, I have software updates on auto. The latest was Monday
BaccaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2023, 10:18   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

In case this is useful for your excellent efforts:

0- Both:
A) One deprecated [by Apple in 2022?] early 2013 MacBook Pro 15” running Catalina [Mac OS 10.15.7]
B) One M1 MacBook Air 13” running Sonoma [MacOS 14.2]

1- See above

2- OCPN 5.8.4

3- Yes

4- Yes

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Bill

PS: An anecdote from a software provider who decades ago sent a multi floppy disk upgrade that had a bad disk, so the upgrade would fail on all platforms. He said the Windows users called support and were contrite, wondering what they did wrong as end users. The Mac users call in and chewed them out.
Old 14-12-2023, 23:19   #4

Boat: Dehler Optima 106

Dave,

0. MacBook Air M1 2020. Main machine used for planning only, for navigation I have a Pi on board. Routes and tracks are sent back and forth between the two.

1. Ventura 13.6.3

2. OpenCPN 5.9.0 + OCharts

3. Yes, but installing upgrades manually.

4. No, I am usually one generation back. Currently: using Ventura and NOT Sonoma. Had the impression that new versions need a while to become reliable or applications needed a while to run smoothly.

Best,

Manfred
Aldebaran17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 03:10   #5

Hi,

1. Sonama 14.2

2. OpenCPN 5.8.4

3. Yes, auto updates
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 03:29   #6

Boat: Alubat Ovni 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
0. What Mac hardware are you mostly using?
Main machine: MacBook Air M2 at home and aboard
Backup: MacBook Pro Intel

1. What version of MacOS are you running? Sonoma 14.2
2. What version of OpenPCN are you running? 5.8.4
3. Is it your personal practice to upgrade MacOS version when updates are offered from Apple? Usually wait a week or so to see if any issues. Postpone major updates while on a cruise.
4. Is it your practice to try to run the latest MacOS version compatible with your particular hardware? Yes, subject to 3 above
thanks
Antipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 06:53   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423

I am just starting to seriously consider using OpenCPN as my ancient Raymarine chartplotter is hurting. I use a MacBook Pro 13" 2019 w/Ventura. Upgrading to Sonoma after the new year. I may be moving to a newer M2 Pro or Air over the next year.

I expect I will use Android tablets too for my portable (at least I think OpenCPN is still not available for iPad.)
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:37   #8

Boat: Amel Sharki

bdbcat will have less problems with OpenCPN for macOS when he switch to Qt from the actually wxWidgets. So he will even be able to produce a version for iOS (iPhone and iPad).
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 10:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

2021 Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro
Sonoma 14.2
OCPN 5.8.4
Always updated / AutoUpdate
Old 16-12-2023, 11:47   #10

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello all active Mac users!

As part of the development process going forward, I have some questions for active OpenCPN users on Mac. Any detailed input/discussion would be greatly appreciated

0. What Mac hardware are you mostly using? Is it a "hand-me-down" for the boat, or your main Mac machine?

1. What version of MacOS are you running?
2. What version of OpenPCN are you running?
3. Is it your personal practice to upgrade MacOS version when updates are offered from Apple?

4. Is it your practice to try to run the latest MacOS version compatible with your particular hardware?

I am not a Mac-guy myself, regularly. So this input will be very useful to me, and the other devs.

Thanks
Dave
On my last boat I had a Mac Mini mid-2012 that was maxed out with ram and SSDs. I still have and use it, but it reached its upgrade limit with Catalina. A MacBook Pro of the same vintage was my laptop that I used remotely for planning, on deck, etc., but the mini was the permanent install.

I now have a new M2 MacBook Air and I love it. It has a 1T SSD and runs OCPN much faster (screen redraws, etc). So for my next boat, I'll upgrade to a new M2 mini, keeping the technology roughly the same. I'll have the most current version of OSX on both and the most current version of OCPN, also. If history repeats itself, I will use both of those until they are no longer viable with upgrades and then look at replacing. With the old ones, I was stuck on Catalina for two or three upgrades cycles before I made the jump to a new machine.

I've used OCPN exclusively as my primary navigation software for years now. I've done some testing through this forum and even very minor programming. I wish I could actually code so I could be more helpful to the community, but OCPN is the BEST thing I've found for the Mac in years.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 21:04   #11

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

0. What Mac hardware are you mostly using? Is it a "hand-me-down" for the boat, or your main Mac machine? 2019 Intel MacBook Pro. Also my main work laptop.

1. What version of MacOS are you running? Sonoma 14.2
2. What version of OpenPCN are you running? 5.6.2 (Oops - need to update!)
3. Is it your personal practice to upgrade MacOS version when updates are offered from Apple? Yes

4. Is it your practice to try to run the latest MacOS version compatible with your particular hardware? Auto-update so always current.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2023, 00:57   #12

Boat: Outremer 55L

0. What Mac hardware are you mostly using? Is it a "hand-me-down" for the boat, or your main Mac machine? 2015 MacBook Pro 13”. Bought new, main work now boat laptop. Used for everything except Windows-only applications such as SASPlanet and SAT2Chart, Victron Energy VRM Configurator, and managing our AIS, NKE autopilot, Actisense Gateway and some other equipment that only have Windows tools. Sigh.

1. What version of MacOS are you running? Monterey 12.6.7 (can’t upgrade to anything newer)

2. What version of OpenPCN are you running? 5.8.4-0+1637c28

3. Is it your personal practice to upgrade MacOS version when updates are offered from Apple? Yes

4. Is it your practice to try to run the latest MacOS version compatible with your particular hardware? Auto-update so always current.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote