Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2010, 03:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Problems Firing-Up OpenCPN

Two friends back home today separately downloaded OpenCPN on my recommendation. Both have Windows 7.

In both cases the program seemed to install fine, but when they tried to launch the program they received a message that said something like OpenCPN.exe has failed. At least one tried to reinstall the program, but received the same message.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 03:44   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage <- check on the instructions here to find a log file. Normally it works on win 7 AFAIK
Old 27-02-2010, 07:51   #3

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
Just installed 1.3.6 on a fresh W7 without problems. The first question after firing up is about the chart selection, could they encountered the problem after that? My choice was CM93 and running without any problem,

Bart
PS W7 32 bits
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 04:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

No, they couldn't get it to launch at all, and still can't. One is a computer security guy so knows his way around. But he is having no luck.
Old 28-02-2010, 05:04   #5

Running as Admin?
Could you/they post the logfile?
Old 28-02-2010, 19:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

I could get them to send it to me. One is in Kudat, Borneo, the other sailing off the east coast of Palawan.

One did manage to get it working on another XP laptop, but still no luck with the W7 netbooks. The problem might be the version of W7 that is provided in Asia on netbooks. It's called "Windows 7 Starter". Perhaps it lacks crucial features that other versions of W7 have. Looking into it...

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 19:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yes, it appears that Win7 "Starter", a hobbled version MS foists on laptops in the developing world, will not run a host of programs, including OpenCPN, according to computer techs in KL who my friend called seeking help.

He will pay $100 to upgrade to another version of W7. I feel bad about this since he had been having trouble finding a new netbook here with XP (and didn't want to have to install a cracked version of XP in a new netbook) and eventually bought one with W7 based on my recommendation of OpenCPN.

Curious, though, if anyone else has been able to get OCPN up and running with "Starter".
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48   #8

I suggest you give it a try on Ubuntu my friend.. Nothing particularly complicated about it (especially when you're used to the whims of windows)
Old 04-03-2010, 00:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Looking more and more that that will be soon coming, at least for me, but so many also use their computers to run software that does not work on Linux.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:50   #10

Do you on your nav computer? There are alternatives to many common programmes as well. You could also use an usb stick just with linux and opencpn for navigation and leave your pc as is.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

Yes I do. I have three laptops (two are netbooks) and they do get used for other things. They are all nav computers and can be used as such. I do a lot of work on computers and some of the software I use has no comparable Linux alternative, and more importantly could not be read by people to whom I send files.

But I like the idea of keeping Linux and openCPN on a flash drive. Maybe it will be a help to my friends. If you know of a site that can teach me the ins and outs of doing this, I would be grateful for a link.

Cheers and thanks, Jim
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbim View Post
.... If you know of a site that can teach me the ins and outs of doing this, I would be grateful for a link.

Cheers and thanks, Jim
This is one of them.

I'm planning for tomorrow or this weekend finding a reason why OpenCPN won't run on Windows 7 Starter. As far as i read there should be no restriction.

Bart
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
I'm planning for tomorrow or this weekend finding a reason why OpenCPN won't run on Windows 7 Starter. As far as i read there should be no restriction.
I've read the same things. Haven't been able to find anything on the web about such shortcomings, except the three-program limit that MS apparently scrapped. Sure seems odd that both had the problem. Haven't heard from one friend for a while, though doubt he's spent much time playing with it.

Thanks for the link.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:26   #14

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
This is one of them.

Bart
Thanks Bart, let us know how it goes. Without more info or access to W7S, it's hard to tell from here what the prob could be.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:19   #15

OpenCPN on Windows 7 Starter

I can confirm that OpenCPN runs without any problem on Windows 7 Starter.

I used a Laptop (about 7 years old) 1GB memory. Downloaded W7S form MSDN and ran it as a NEW clean install. No special update or drivers.

I used the standard Windows VGA driver only changed the resolution to 1024x768. Immediately installed the latest OpenCPN version and gave it a go.

As on other OSSes, OpenCPN came with the config screen that no charts where installed.

No problem with W7S

Bart

PS. I will keep it installed for a few days, if someone wants me to run some tests, please let me know