Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 15:09   #286

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: Optimized Opencpn: Testers Needed

And another.

Displaying many AIS targets also causes a graphics driver reset.
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 17:20   #287

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

If your driver cannot use textures, then it isn't very useful for opengl. Using glDrawPixels is maybe not slower on some older hardware, or noticed with a small number of operations, but on newer hardware and with opengles, or lots of operations, it can be very very slow.

The call is only for compatibility with very only programs, and should never be used. This is because glDrawPixels is emulated so that each call creates a texture, initializes all the data in ram, uploads to texture, then renders and delete the texture.

I didn't change the ais rendering code, so it never used textures. It probably should be updated to do so.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 17:51   #288

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sean and others,
Yesterday I git cloned opencpn-opt and ran cmake .. and cmake --build . It ran without errors, as did MSVC Build > Build Solution and then go to Debug Mode and it loaded, which it did not last night! but there was an almost immediate break, and it looks like I have something configured incorrectly, please see Break, Settings and Log files attached.

By the way, additionally I copied folder tcdata, sounds, uidata, gshhs into the Build directory. - Perhaps that was not necessary?

The break seems to be re occurring. Sorry I'm so late to the game here, with sean and bdcat are transfering parts now.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Break 3.3.1618-opencpn-opt.doc (8.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: doc Settings 3.3.1618-opencpn-opt.doc (32.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: doc Log 3.3.1618-opencpn-opt.doc (5.7 KB, 53 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:21   #289

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I didn't change the ais rendering code, so it never used textures. It probably should be updated to do so.
It's not only a lot of AIS targets which slows down but also when you have lots of layer targets.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:19   #290

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sean and others,
Yesterday I git cloned opencpn-opt and ran cmake .. and cmake --build . It ran without errors, as did MSVC Build > Build Solution and then go to Debug Mode and it loaded, which it did not last night! but there was an almost immediate break, and it looks like I have something configured incorrectly, please see Break, Settings and Log files attached.

By the way, additionally I copied folder tcdata, sounds, uidata, gshhs into the Build directory. - Perhaps that was not necessary?

The break seems to be re occurring. Sorry I'm so late to the game here, with sean and bdcat are transfering parts now.
I think you are mixing parts from debug and releases or something. Can't you just build and install the program as normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
It's not only a lot of AIS targets which slows down but also when you have lots of layer targets.

Gerhard
If you have lots of tide boxes it used to also be very slow, but not so bad now (especially with accelerated panning)

I thought you said it crashed the graphics driver. So lots of ais targets is very slow to render? This makes sense because of the way they are handled. I never optimized this. What are layer targets?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:04   #291

Hi

I would really like to get OpenCPN running on my Raspberry PI.

I did the following on my raspbeery PI as root:
apt-get update
apt-get install -y libgtk2.0-dev gettext git-core cmake gpsd gpsd-clients \
libgps-dev build-essential wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev \
libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers \
libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libsdl1.2debian xcalib

git clone https://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN.git
cd OpenCPN/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../
make
make build
dpkg -i opencpn_3.3.1618-1_armhf.deb

The result, logged in as pi:
$ /usr/bin/opencpn
-bash: /usr/bin/opencpn: Permission denied

$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/opencpn
$ /usr/bin/opencpn
A window pop up, telling me that it failed to initialize the GUI and refer to opencpn.log

$ cat opencpn.log
16:02:11 CEST:

________

16:02:12 CEST: 2014-05-04
16:02:12 CEST: ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
16:02:12 CEST: Version 3.3.1618 Build 2014-04-18
16:02:12 CEST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.12
16:02:12 CEST: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 437 mb, mem_initial: 31 mb
16:02:12 CEST: SData_Locn is /usr/share/opencpn/
16:02:12 CEST: Creating new Config_File: /home/pi/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
16:02:12 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/share/opencpn/uidata/
16:02:12 CEST: No styles found at: /home/pi/
16:02:12 CEST: No styles found at: /home/pi/.opencpn/
16:02:12 CEST: The requested style was not found:

Any ideas?

Regards
Peter
it-slav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:50   #292

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
....................So lots of ais targets is very slow to render? This makes sense because of the way they are handled. I never optimized this. What are layer targets?
Just to join this issue:
From a win7-64, CM93 and several hundreds AIS targets the following occurs:
When zooming in/out first a "layer" containing AIS targets and the lat-lon grids is instantly zoomed. Then after a long while the charts canvas is following after. If I then get impatient and press a zoom key again the AIS and the lat/lon grids are still fast zooming but the charts is frozen for half a minute or so.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:22   #293

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
What are layer targets?
For those not familiar with OpenCPN:
Layer is the rightmost panel of routemanager often used for own points of interest marks.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layer.png
Views:	134
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	80535  
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:28   #294

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

IT-slav-

You should go to this thread and read first: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...arm-74082.html

This isn't the appropriate thread for your question.

Good luck,

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:51   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
IT-slav-

You should go to this thread and read first: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...arm-74082.html

This isn't the appropriate thread for your question.

Good luck,

Greg
Hi

I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong thread. I found the first post in this thread asking for Raspberry PI testers. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1435765
--cut--
I have no display for my raspberry Pi, I would love to hear about any testers on raspberry pi, but you would almost certainly need hardware accelerated opengl to reap much benefit. Of course all platforms need testing.

fork at:
http://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN
--endcut--

I have got OpenCPN running on my Raspberry PI but it is extremly slow. I wanted to contribute to the optimized OpenCPN and this did look alright.

Regards
Peter
it-slav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 13:37   #296

Boat: Phantom 19

Peter...
Just follow the normal build instructions, there should be no problem at all. Stuff like "make build" which you mention does not exist, hard to say where you got it from, maybe you mean "make package".
Anyway
Code:
make install
should be all you need. I never tried producing a deb package for ARM, but will for the next beta.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:25   #297

Deleted opencpn-opt
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN.git opencpn-opt
cd opencpn-opt
git fetch <-- nothing needed
git pull <-- said up to date
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..

Output
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Rick>cd C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation
Code:

C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation> git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCP
N.git opencpn-opt
Cloning into 'opencpn-opt'...
remote: Counting objects: 21244, done.
remote: Compressing objects:  65% (3660/5630)    eceiving objects:   0% (1/21244
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5630/5630), done.
remote: Total 21244 (delta 15591), reused 21176 (delta 15539) eceiving objects:
Receiving objects: 100% (21244/21244), 119.85 MiB | 1.81 MiB/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (15591/15591), done.
Checking out files: 100% (1132/1132), done.

Then Later

C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-opt\build>cmake ..
-- Building for: Visual Studio 10
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 10
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 10 -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 10
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 10 -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- *** Build Architecture is i386
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 3.3.1618 ***
-- Found OpenGL: opengl32
-- Found OpenGL...
--     Lib: glu32opengl32
--     Include:
-- Found wxWidgets: TRUE
-- Found wxWidgets...
-- debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxbase28ud.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.
8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxbase28u.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28ud_cor
e.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28u_core.lib;debug;C:/wxWidg
ets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxbase28ud_net.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dl
l/wxbase28u_net.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxbase28ud_xml.lib;opti
mized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxbase28u_xml.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12
/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28ud_html.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28u
_html.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28ud_adv.lib;optimized;C:/wx
Widgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28u_adv.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/
wxmsw28ud_aui.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28u_aui.lib;debu
g;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28ud_gl.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/
lib/vc_dll/wxmsw28u_gl.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxpngd.lib;optim
ized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxpng.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_d
ll/wxtiffd.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxtiff.lib;debug;C:/wxWi
dgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxjpegd.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxj
peg.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxzlibd.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-
2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxzlib.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxregexud.lib;
optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxregexu.lib;debug;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/
lib/vc_dll/wxexpatd.lib;optimized;C:/wxWidgets-2.8.12/lib/vc_dll/wxexpat.lib;ope
ngl32;glu32;winmm;comctl32;rpcrt4;wsock32
--
-- *** Staging to build opencpn  ***
-- *** Will install to C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenCPN  ***
-- Found Gettext: C:/Program Files (x86)/Poedit/bin/msgmerge.exe
-- tinyxml library not found
-- S57 ENC support: enabled
-- Garmin Host Mode support: enabled
--
-- *** Staging to build PlugIns ***
--
-- *** Staging to build dashboard_pi ***
-- *** Staging to build grib_pi ***
-- Writing spec file...
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/Data-Dart/Up-Soft/Navigation/opencpn-opt
/build

C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-opt\build>

TinyXML not found
Old 04-05-2014, 18:40   #298

Did cmake --build . with no errors. Then start Debug mode and instantly get this.
I've added nothing, changed nothing. Any idea what is needed?

Code:
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-opt\build\Debug\opencpn.exe', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360 Premier Edition\NortonData\21.0.2.1\Definitions\BASHDefs\20140409.001\UMEngx86.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.18120_none_72d2e82386681b36\GdiPlus.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winspool.drv', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxbase28ud_net_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wsock32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nsi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxbase28ud_xml_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_html_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_adv_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_aui_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_gl_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\glu32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\psapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\ProgramData\Wincert\win32cert.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\datamngr.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wtsapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbghelp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\IEBHO.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\coprocmanager\detoured.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\coprocmanager\Nvd3d9wrap.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\coprocmanager\nvdxgiwrap.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\ProgramData\Wincert\win32cert.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x302c) has exited with code 265230418 (0xfcf1852).
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\datamngr.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wtsapi32.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\IEBHO.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbghelp.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x33c8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3378) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\profapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
First-chance exception at 0x00ec614d in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000000dc.
Unhandled exception at 0x00ec614d in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000000dc
Old 05-05-2014, 00:54   #299

Boat: Wasa 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-slav View Post
Hi

... I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong thread. ...

I have got OpenCPN running on my Raspberry PI but it is extremly slow. I wanted to contribute to the optimized OpenCPN and this did look alright.
Peter,
Don't be sorry. I am sure we are many RaspberryPI interested folks eagerly waiting for it to be more easy to compile and use.

Did you find this post by Sean?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1517718

If you could test and make a idiot-proof-newbie instruction how to compile it I would give it a go as well.

As soon as you have it running I am sure the developers are eager to hear your comments on the use of OpenCPN on the Pi.

/Jonas
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:41   #300

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post

Peter,
Don't be sorry. I am sure we are many RaspberryPI interested folks eagerly waiting for it to be more easy to compile and use.

Did you find this post by Sean?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1517718

If you could test and make a idiot-proof-newbie instruction how to compile it I would give it a go as well.

As soon as you have it running I am sure the developers are eager to hear your comments on the use of OpenCPN on the Pi.

/Jonas
+1 on Pi folks

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, enc