Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 11:55   #1

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
OpenCPN Suddenly Poor Performance

I've been using OpenCPN for years on the same Windows 7 laptop. Suddenly the performance is horrible. Delays of 10-30 seconds just zooming in or out. Scrolling the chart can take 5-10 seconds. Clicking anything in the menus can be longer, sometimes minutes.

I've recently begun some armchair Great Loop planning, so a few things have changed. I've downloaded a lot mare charts. I've been using more vector charts, since raster isn't always available for some inland rivers and canals. For a while I had a lot of very long routes loaded, but even getting rid of them (and all waypoints) doesn't seem to help much.

Can those things really impact performance that badly, or should I be looking elsewhere? Yes, I've closed all other apps and rebooted. No hardware changes or other applications installed lately.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 11:58   #2

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: OpenCPN Suddenly Poor Performance

One might consider it is your Laptop slowing down , especially as windows 7 is receiving no more updates or security patches.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 12:17   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've been using OpenCPN for years on the same Windows 7 laptop. Suddenly the performance is horrible. Delays of 10-30 seconds just zooming in or out. Scrolling the chart can take 5-10 seconds. Clicking anything in the menus can be longer, sometimes minutes.

I've recently begun some armchair Great Loop planning, so a few things have changed. I've downloaded a lot mare charts. I've been using more vector charts, since raster isn't always available for some inland rivers and canals. For a while I had a lot of very long routes loaded, but even getting rid of them (and all waypoints) doesn't seem to help much.

Can those things really impact performance that badly, or should I be looking elsewhere? Yes, I've closed all other apps and rebooted. No hardware changes or other applications installed lately.

When you are using new charts for your system those are getting prepared for OpenCPN when touching them the first time.
In the case of vector charts you have the option to "prepare all ENC charts" at the Chart Directory tab.
In case of many new charts installed, go for a coffee or tea when pressing "Apply".

In the case of RNC those are getting sampled on-the-fly. Depending on details and number of charts you will see a delay as well.

Both are one time operations.

The oeSENC and oeRNC charts come already "prepared for use".
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 18:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
When you are using new charts for your system those are getting prepared for OpenCPN when touching them the first time.
In the case of vector charts you have the option to "prepare all ENC charts" at the Chart Directory tab.
In case of many new charts installed, go for a coffee or tea when pressing "Apply".

In the case of RNC those are getting sampled on-the-fly. Depending on details and number of charts you will see a delay as well.
I thought I'd read somewhere that the charts are prepared on the fly, first time you scroll into one.

But I missed the "Prepare all ENC" button. I did the "Force Full Database Rebuild." That took a while! The Prepare step only took about a minute and a half.

The inland rivers ENCs still seem a bit sluggish, but it's much better. It could be these are just harder to render, even though they seem so much simpler than coastal charts.
Old 23-02-2020, 03:26   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

I imported a GPX file with a bunch of waypoints on my Android tablet. The performance of Open CPN got really bad afterward with long delays and jerkyness.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 05:50   #6

Boat: Raider 18 Cuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
One might consider it is your Laptop slowing down , especially as windows 7 is receiving no more updates or security patches.
It is updates that slowing Windows down.
Windows is not slowing down from not receiving updates or security patches.
If you install windows, and dont install any software or update, in 10 years it will still run at exact the same speed.
Ben S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 08:30   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
I thought I'd read somewhere that the charts are prepared on the fly, first time you scroll into one.

But I missed the "Prepare all ENC" button. I did the "Force Full Database Rebuild." That took a while! The Prepare step only took about a minute and a half.

The inland rivers ENCs still seem a bit sluggish, but it's much better. It could be these are just harder to render, even though they seem so much simpler than coastal charts.
The ACE inland rivers charts contain many more small charts than the NOAA salt water charts. Depending on your computer type it may be a bit slower than NOAA ENC charts.

ACE and NOAA ENC charts are processed in the background. But that only helps if your computer has multiple cores. A computer with just a two thread CPU will not benefit much from background processing.

In my experience it is better to let OpenCPN prepare only the ENC charts it needs. Preparing charts you will seldom view can interfere with caching of charts you frequently view. You can tell when it is preparing charts by noticing a small box in the lower left of the chart area with a number showing the remaining charts to process in the background. If you don't see that it is not preparing charts in the background.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I imported a GPX file with a bunch of waypoints on my Android tablet. The performance of Open CPN got really bad afterward with long delays and jerkyness.
How many is a bunch? Hundreds to thousands of waypoints can tax any small computer. O has to keep track of the ship's distance from each and every waypoint. These calculations can take a lot of time. You can help some by loading waypoints into a persistent layer and then turning the display of the waypoints layer on or off as you need it.
Old 23-02-2020, 10:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
How many is a bunch? Hundreds to thousands of waypoints can tax any small computer. O has to keep track of the ship's distance from each and every waypoint. These calculations can take a lot of time. You can help some by loading waypoints into a persistent layer and then turning the display of the waypoints layer on or off as you need it.
Interesting. I wasn't aware it needed to continuously update all waypoints. That seems a bit unnecessary. That information would only be displayed when the waypoint list is shown, or the route is active.

At one point I had imported someone's entire Great Loop track, which obviously had a LOT of route points, but not very many waypoints. But removing them all, routes and points, didn't seem to make much difference.

I think one factor is that I've been using lots of small ACE charts. Those certainly seem more resource-hungry to tile, move and zoom.
Old 23-02-2020, 16:21   #10

Quote:
Why does it keep track of the distance from all waypoints? The points are predominately just anchorage locations. They don't define an active or any route.
Here's the fox file
https://sailmalaysia.net/wp-content/...-17th-2019.zip
Old 23-02-2020, 16:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben S View Post
It is updates that slowing Windows down.
Windows is not slowing down from not receiving updates or security patches.
If you install windows, and dont install any software or update, in 10 years it will still run at exact the same speed.

If you never put it on the Internet. Otherwise some script kiddie will have you soon enough. Metasploit, Aircrack, compromised ads on forums...
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 19:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Why does it keep track of the distance from all waypoints? The points are predominately just anchorage locations. They don't define an active or any route.

Here's the fox file

https://sailmalaysia.net/wp-content/...-17th-2019.zip
O has to know whether a waypoint needs to be drawn on the visible chart. How does it know? It measures the distance the waypoint is from the visible region which changes constantly as the ship moves or the user moves the chart viewport (pan or zoom). There are optimizations used but eventually as the chart changes center or size the computer has to run a lot of spherical distance computations. The computer can’t “see” your waypoints so it has to determine by distance if they should be drawn or not.
Old 23-02-2020, 21:16   #13

Quote:
O has to know whether a waypoint needs to be drawn on the visible chart. How does it know? It measures the distance the waypoint is from the visible region which changes constantly as the ship moves or the user moves the chart viewport (pan or zoom). There are optimizations used but eventually as the chart changes center or size the computer has to run a lot of spherical distance computations. The computer can’t “see” your waypoints so it has to determine by distance if they should be drawn or not.
Thanks, makes sense. I'll see if I can easily move them to a layer and turn it off.
Old 24-02-2020, 04:07   #14

You can import waypoints to a layer.
Old 24-02-2020, 06:55   #15

Boat: Raider 18 Cuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy1 View Post
If you never put it on the Internet. Otherwise some script kiddie will have you soon enough. Metasploit, Aircrack, compromised ads on forums...
That was not the question if it was safe or not!

Tarrian posted that windows 7 was slowing down because it NOT received updates and security patches anymore.

And i would strongly advice not the use your nav station for internet access.
Just updating charts and i disable the WIFI is what i do
Ben S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn