Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 16:23   #241
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN on Raspberry PI2

hk....

I understand your motivation. The essence of Open Source. One should be able to re-create, ab initio, the desired environment from source.

So, sorry I have not followed the whole thread. Where is the gtk3 dependency coming from? We don't care about gtk3 in OpenCPN, directly.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 17:08   #242

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
With the latest Kernel, 4.9.8 as of today, I see something ETC related, output of glxinfo:

Code:
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    GL_APPLE_texture_max_level, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, 
    GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer, GL_EXT_draw_buffers, 
    GL_EXT_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_EXT_map_buffer_range, 
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_read_format_bgra, 
    GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, GL_EXT_texture_border_clamp, 
    GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888, GL_EXT_texture_type_2_10_10_10_REV, 
    GL_EXT_unpack_subimage, GL_KHR_context_flush_control, GL_KHR_debug,
    GL_NV_draw_buffers, GL_NV_fbo_color_attachments, GL_NV_read_buffer,
    GL_NV_read_depth, GL_NV_read_depth_stencil, GL_NV_read_stencil,
    GL_OES_EGL_image, GL_OES_EGL_image_external, GL_OES_EGL_sync,
    GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture, GL_OES_depth24, GL_OES_depth_texture,
    GL_OES_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_OES_element_index_uint, 
    GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer,
    GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil, GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8, GL_OES_stencil8, 
    GL_OES_surfaceless_context, GL_OES_texture_3D,   
    GL_OES_texture_border_clamp, GL_OES_texture_npot, 
    GL_OES_vertex_array_object
Is this what you are looking for?

Dirk
yes, but is opencpn able to use it??

This is on opengles, not opengl correct? I believe the author stated that there are very few programs that can use etc1 in opengl since it's widely supported only on opengles, so didn't bother to support that path?

When I tried to run opencpn using opengles (hack cmakelists) using the free driver, some strange things happened.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 00:36   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
hk....

Where is the gtk3 dependency coming from? We don't care about gtk3 in OpenCPN, directly.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I don't know!! I use the code, I'm getting from github w/out any modification. I would guess that the mix of GTK2 and GTK 3 symbols is coming from the code, I got!
I am using the RPI for several things, hence I have GTK3 installed, but if some SW is using it, or not remains the priviledge of this SW. Just the existence of GTK3 should not affect the runability of the application! The only thing, which I could imagine ist, that the cmake/make files are not properly configured, that the compiler/linker takes on GTK3 lib functions rather than GTK2 only, as it is suggested in your reply. ... and what about this (from ../build/CMakeCache.txt)
GTK3_CFLAGS:INTERNAL=-pthread;-I/usr/include/gtk-3.0;-I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0;-I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0;-I/usr/include/dbus-1.0;-I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dbus-1.0/include;-I/usr/include/gtk-3.0;-I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/;-I/usr/include/cairo;-I/usr/include/pango-1.0;-I/usr/include/harfbuzz;-I/usr/include/pango-1.0;-I/usr/include/atk-1.0;-I/usr/include/cairo;-I/usr/include/pixman-1;-I/usr/include/freetype2;-I/usr/include/libpng12;-I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0;-I/usr/include/libpng12;-I/usr/include/glib-2.0;-I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include
GTK3_CFLAGS_I:INTERNAL=
GTK3_CFLAGS_OTHER:INTERNAL=-pthread
GTK3_FOUND:INTERNAL=1
GTK3_INCLUDEDIR:INTERNAL=/usr/include
GTK3_INCLUDE_DIRS:INTERNAL=/usr/include/gtk-3.0;/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0;/usr/include/at-spi-2.0;/usr/include/dbus-1.0;/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dbus-1.0/include;/usr/include/gtk-3.0;/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/;/usr/include/cairo;/usr/include/pango-1.0;/usr/include/harfbuzz;/usr/include/pango-1.0;/usr/include/atk-1.0;/usr/include/cairo;/usr/include/pixman-1;/usr/include/freetype2;/usr/include/libpng12;/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0;/usr/include/libpng12;/usr/include/glib-2.0;/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include
GTK3_LDFLAGS:INTERNAL=-lgtk-3;-lgdk-3;-lpangocairo-1.0;-lpango-1.0;-latk-1.0;-lcairo-gobject;-lcairo;-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0;-lgio-2.0;-lgobject-2.0;-lglib-2.0
GTK3_LDFLAGS_OTHER:INTERNAL=
GTK3_LIBDIR:INTERNAL=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
GTK3_LIBRARIES:INTERNAL=gtk-3;gdk-3;pangocairo-1.0;pango-1.0;atk-1.0;cairo-gobject;cairo;gdk_pixbuf-2.0;gio-2.0;gobject-2.0;glib-2.0
GTK3_LIBRARY_DIRS:INTERNAL=
GTK3_LIBS:INTERNAL=
GTK3_LIBS_L:INTERNAL=
GTK3_LIBS_OTHER:INTERNAL=
GTK3_LIBS_PATHS:INTERNAL=
GTK3_PREFIX:INTERNAL=/usr
GTK3_STATIC_CFLAGS:INTERNAL=-pthread;-I/usr/include/gtk-3.0;-I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0;-I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0;-I/usr/include/dbus-1.0;-I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dbus-1.0/include;-I/usr/include/gtk-3.0;-I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/;-I/usr/include/cairo;-I/usr/include/pango-1.0;-I/usr/include/harfbuzz;-I/usr/include/pango-1.0;-I/usr/include/atk-1.0;-I/usr/include/cairo;-I/usr/include/pixman-1;-I/usr/include/freetype2;-I/usr/include/libpng12;-I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0;-I/usr/include/libpng12;-I/usr/include/glib-2.0;-I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include
GTK3_STATIC_CFLAGS_I:INTERNAL=
GTK3_STATIC_CFLAGS_OTHER:INTERNAL=-pthread
GTK3_STATIC_INCLUDE_DIRS:INTERNAL=/usr/include/gtk-3.0;/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0;/usr/include/at-spi-2.0;/usr/include/dbus-1.0;/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dbus-1.0/include;/usr/include/gtk-3.0;/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/;/usr/include/cairo;/usr/include/pango-1.0;/usr/include/harfbuzz;/usr/include/pango-1.0;/usr/include/atk-1.0;/usr/include/cairo;/usr/include/pixman-1;/usr/include/freetype2;/usr/include/libpng12;/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0;/usr/include/libpng12;/usr/include/glib-2.0;/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include
GTK3_STATIC_LDFLAGS:INTERNAL=-lgtk-3;-latk-bridge-2.0;-latspi;-ldbus-1;-lpthread;-lgdk-3;-lgio-2.0;-lXinerama;-lXi;-lXrandr;-lXcursor;-lXcomposite;-lXdamage;-lXfixes;-lwayland-client;-lxkbcommon;-lwayland-cursor;-lpangoft2-1.0;-lharfbuzz;-lpangocairo-1.0;-lpango-1.0;-latk-1.0;-lcairo-gobject;-lcairo;-lz;-lpixman-1;-lfontconfig;-lexpat;-lfreetype;-lexpat;-lfreetype;-lz;-lpng12;-lz;-lm;-lpng12;-lz;-lm;-lxcb-shm;-lxcb-render;-lXrender;-lXext;-lX11;-lpthread;-lxcb;-lXau;-lXdmcp;-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0;-lm;-lpng12;-lz;-lm;-lgio-2.0;-lz;-lresolv;-lselinux;-lgmodule-2.0;-pthread;-ldl;-lgobject-2.0;-lffi;-lglib-2.0;-pthread;-lpcre
GTK3_STATIC_LDFLAGS_OTHER:INTERNAL=-pthread
GTK3_STATIC_LIBDIR:INTERNAL=
GTK3_STATIC_LIBRARIES:INTERNAL=gtk-3;atk-bridge-2.0;atspi;dbus-1;pthread;gdk-3;gio-2.0;Xinerama;Xi;Xrandr;Xcursor;Xcomposite;Xdamage; Xfixes;wayland-client;xkbcommon;wayland-cursor;pangoft2-1.0;harfbuzz;pangocairo-1.0;pango-1.0;atk-1.0;cairo-gobject;cairo;z;pixman-1;fontconfig;expat;freetype;expat;freetype;z;png12 ;z;m;png12;z;m;xcb-shm;xcb-render;Xrender;Xext;X11;pthread;xcb;Xau;Xdmcp;gdk_ pixbuf-2.0;m;png12;z;m;gio-2.0;z;resolv;selinux;gmodule-2.0;dl;gobject-2.0;ffi;glib-2.0;pcre
GTK3_STATIC_LIBRARY_DIRS:INTERNAL=
GTK3_STATIC_LIBS:INTERNAL=
GTK3_STATIC_LIBS_L:INTERNAL=
GTK3_STATIC_LIBS_OTHER:INTERNAL=
GTK3_STATIC_LIBS_PATHS:INTERNAL=
GTK3_VERSION:INTERNAL=3.14.5
GTK3_gtk+-3.0_INCLUDEDIR:INTERNAL=
GTK3_gtk+-3.0_LIBDIR:INTERNAL=
GTK3_gtk+-3.0_PREFIX:INTERNAL=
GTK3_gtk+-3.0_VERSION:INTERNAL=

Have fun
Hans

PS. I just received a message from Alisdair (were I started my jurney) in my email. He suggested
"For your GTK error message I’m guessing, but maybe try
cmake -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=CRUDE -DWITH_GTK3=OFF ../

(or possibly variations such as -DWITH_GTK=ON -DWITH_GTK_2_X=ON )

Hence, there is something about GTK3 in the code...
lve0200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:52   #244
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve0200 View Post
Yep,
I definitely have OpenPlotter on the radar, but ..

"Everything is done for you then"

...that's the issue. I don't like ready made things (blackboxes), because they make me fully dependant on what others have made, or might abandon at some moment in time... I have built 95% of what OpenPlotter does by myself and I want now to finish up by getting an own compiled version of OpenCPN. Then I'm done for it, and I can decide whenever I want to change something in my setup, or not. IT's about being connected to the root of the things and mastering it yourself... if you know, what I mean...
Anyway, thank's for the recommendation.
Best Regards
hk
That makes perfect sense, though I'm the opposite There are 2 sd cards and 2 Pi3's on the boat with a well proven installation of openplotter v0.8 ready to go for actual out there sailing. Mainly as it's proven itself onboard and had lots of people trying to break it instead of just me and any bugs seemed to have been ironed out.
Can't help with the compiling I'm afraid, haven't done that since the repositories became available to install by apt-get install.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:54   #245

Hi Dave,

I possibly found the culprit
Quote:
-- Some or all of the gtk libraries were not found. (missing: GTK2_GTK_LIBRARY GTK2_GTK_INCLUDE_DIR GTK2_GDK_INCLUDE_DIR GTK2_GDKCONFIG_INCLUDE_DIR GTK2_GDK_LIBRARY)
-- Building against GTK3...
from CMake
Old 07-02-2017, 05:13   #246

Dear Dave,
to whom else it may concern.
I have now a running version of OpenCPN 4.5., compiled on my RPI 3B. Let me summarize:
  • The cookbook from Alisdair "pi-chart" and from post 232 are fully OK and can be used "as is". They will produce a running version
  • In case that the gtk2.0-dev lib is missing, but the gtk3.0-dev lib is installed, cmake will automatically switch to gtk3 and build against gtk3, which then produces a non executable version. That needs IMHO to be corrected
  • As pointed out in the OpenCPN developers book, GSHHS comes only with the crude files on board. For those who want more, you have to follow the procedure as described in the developers book under packages
  • My version runs under OpenGL and HW acceleration. It gives me 150 fps. OpenGL needs to be activated in OpenCPN as well as on the RPI. Activation on the RPI must be done from "$ sudo raspi-config" under point 7 "advanced". It cannot be configured via the normal GUI.
  • For Alisdair, you can run make in parallel over several kernels to speed up compilation. Use make -j2. Running it over 3 kernels brought my power supply on its knies and exceeded the 1 Gb RAM, hence failed to continue. With 2 kernels compiling, I observed a max use of RAM of about 800 MB
All the best for the upcoming season
hk
Old 07-02-2017, 10:17   #247

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

lve0200
Congratulations.

Would you be able to provide Compiling for RPI to go here?
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ompiling_linux

Also,what would you suggest changing here
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...spberrypi_rpi2

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:53   #248

Hi, rgleason!
Hhm, I never contributed to anything like Wiki, frankly, don't know, how to do this...
I will try to register.
Would like to know, if the official owners of the OpenCPN Wiki would support my newbi attempt to change the documentation
Rgds
hk
Old 07-02-2017, 11:53   #249

To the owners of OpenCPN,
I am not comfortable to fool around in wiki. Please feel free to copy my contribution to where you want to have it or not.

Compiling OpenCPN for Raspberry 2 or 3B
Prerequisites:
HW setup:
Make sure that you have:
A decent power supply. The Pi is power hungry and especially for multi-core
compilations and later on moving and sizing maps, you'll need full power.
A 1.5 Amps mobile phone charger won't do it, most of the 2 Amps neither,
especially in combination with ultra thin wired USB signal cables!

A quality Class 10 SD-Card. Most of instablities or latencies come from lousy SD-Cards

You might wonder, where to put your chart files. Either, buy a bigger SD card (32 Gb),
or leave the SD card for Jessie and the app and add a decent USB Memory stick. The Pi mounts
memory sticks automatically under /media/... The Pi is picky concerning mem sticks!

Make sure, you are on the latest OS version
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Use RASPI-CONFIG to enable OpenGL
$ sudo raspi-config
=> Advanced Options, “GL Driver”, enable
Add the following lines to /boot/config.txt
$sudo vi /boot/config.txt
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

Getting the sources:
$ git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
this seems to be the "official" source of sources
In case you have already done this some time before, you can get an update by
$ git pull

Getting the middleware:
OpenCPN depends on many other SW-packages, to get them:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake gettext git-core \
libgps-dev wx-common libwxgtk3.0-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev \
wx3.0-headers libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev \
libcurl4-openssl-dev libexpat1-dev libcairo2-dev liblzma-dev libelf-dev

Be aware the you also have to make provisions for the HW you want to
connect to the Pi, to give you GPS, AIS etc. and where and how you want
to connect these to the Pi:
In most cases you may have to add: gpsd gpsd-clients to the list above.
There is an awful lot of things to consider when adding HW to the Pi,
which has nothing to do with compiling OpenCPN for Pis. OpenCPN is just using'em.
If that scares you away, consider to use OpenPlotter, which is a pretty
nice fully integrated HW & SW solution for amazingly affordable HW prices. May be bitTorrent wasn't the luckiest choice as distribution channel, but for those who are scared for security, you could buy their prepopulated SD Card for small money.
The same applies for the question, how you want later to access the Pi and OpenCPN, underway and away from your home router/LAN. Considering to use the Pi as WiFi access point...

The above mentioned git clone command will create a new directory below
the dir, where you launch the commnd. Hence think from where you do this.

I suggest that you build your 1st compilation with the GSHHS crude model; you
might later decide to go for full.

Make sure that you have the libgtk2.0-dev installed! Otherwise you will get in trouble!!

Compiling the beast:
Once you've got all prerequisites in place you can attempt to compile.
$ cd OpenCPN
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
You have to run cmake with a few compilation switches
$ cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=CRUDE ../
don't be afraid of tons of cryptic messages running over the screen.
Then you can make it; you can decide to use more than 1 core for compiling.
With 1 core you may end up with 2h of compile time. You can speed this up by
using 2 cores. In principle you could use all 4 cores, but everybody until
now experienced crashes, doing so. I observed a Pi RAM usage of up to 800 MB using
2 cores. With 3, I got over the built in 1 Gb of RAM. Hence the command is:
$ make -j2
or simply make, if you have the patience to wait a little longer
time for a coffee...
Once your compilation has finished w/out noticable errors or crashes, you can give it a
preliminary shot by launching it from your build directory
$./opencpn
Hope 4u, that it will run, - it should...
You can then proceed to install it
$ sudo make install
If you don't want to repeat this all the time, make a package:
$ sudo make package
You still have to create the directory for the charts and copy them there.
To later load the package you made again, there is a handy tool called gdebi, hence:
$sudo apt-get install gdebi

Good luck
hk
Old 07-02-2017, 15:17   #250

lve0200
Thank you! I will use your text for RPI Compile, as it is good advice.

You can register here and I will add you as an Editor so you can add things as you think of them.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...it_user_manual
Old 07-02-2017, 15:37   #251

I've made your new page here

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing_linux:rpi2
Old 08-02-2017, 01:07   #252

OK, so I registered. Please make the doc r/w 4me. Thanks hk
Old 08-02-2017, 03:30   #253
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve0200 View Post
[*]My version runs under OpenGL and HW acceleration. It gives me 150 fps. OpenGL needs to be activated in OpenCPN as well as on the RPI. Activation on the RPI must be done from "$ sudo raspi-config" under point 7 "advanced". It cannot be configured via the normal GUI.
Where are you seeing 150fps, please?

I'll get just short of 60fps in glxgears, not much more than 20 in opencpn opengl.
That's using dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d in config.txt.
Opencpn crashes quickly using google earth Kap files and generally seems a bit unstable, so no use for real world nav just yet unfortunately.
Luckily the Pi3 is fast enough for day to day use without it.

vc4-fkms-v3d will boot as far as a screen with no menus and no mousebutton/keyboard control.(After apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade & BRANCH=next rpi-update

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmw.../boot/overlays
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:13   #254

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Where are you seeing 150fps, please?

I'll get just short of 60fps in glxgears, not much more than 20 in opencpn opengl.
this could be due to glxgears syncing with the monitor vertical refresh rate (depends on the video driver in use)
you shoukd be using
Code:
vblank_mode=0 glxgears

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:17   #255

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
vc4-fkms-v3d will boot as far as a screen with no menus and no mousebutton/keyboard control.(After apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade & BRANCH=next rpi-update
I have seen this too, do you see a video driver crash in 'dmesg' ? I did.

For some reason it has gone away for me, fkms works again. Possibly, the RPI3 GPU needs a physical power off, not just a reboot, when changing drivers. Since I turned the RPI off and on again, I suddenly also have kms working, which never worked for me before.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn