Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 12:59   #136

Re: OpenCPN for Android Beta test 4.1.718

Testing on galaxy tab a5. With the installation of android 5.02 no more problems with freeze of O after a black screen.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5210 met Tapatalk
Ido Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 17:47   #137

Boat: Club sailor...Victory 21, Ensign 25, Catalina 25, Lagoon 380, Catalina 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post

These little devices do not have the raw horsepower of a modern x86 machine...

Even though it is pretty to look at, showing high detail on a very fine pitch display does not enhance the practical user experience, IMHO.
I'm a sailor, and the biggest limitation I have using O while underway is power, i.e. at some point I have to recharge the laptop battery or shut it down.

The prospect of using O-A was not to get the same user experience ported to the tablet - we can't for all the reasons noted above - it was to take advantage of the tablets portability and low power consumption to extend, or even eliminate that recharging cycle.

My thinking was to use the laptop for detailed pre-trip planning, upload my routes / waypoints / etc to the tablet, then use the tablet mounted near the helm to visually show our route, track, bearings to marks, etc, while underway and power up the laptop periodically to synch up.

I'm starting to realize my use case for OA may be more unique than I originally thought. How do others see themselves using it while underway ?
RSkillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 18:23   #138
Marine Service Provider

Happy...

re:
Yes, wpts/marks cannot be moved. That is, there is a way to do this on computer...as in, clickndrag a mark/wpt to be dragged to a new location. This seems especially useful on the android version where a route "bluntly"made on a tablet's small screen can then be corrected later when zoomed in on the route...

This can be done now. Simply short-tap the waypoint. It will become highlited in yellow. Drag it wherever you want it. Tap elsewhere to remove hilite.

We did this as a two-step for the reason you mentioned. Don't want pan/zoom gestures to accidentally move points.

Enjoy the badlands...

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 00:03   #139

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
This can be done now. Simply short-tap the waypoint. It will become highlited in yellow. Drag it wherever you want it. Tap elsewhere to remove hilite.

We did this as a two-step for the reason you mentioned. Don't want pan/zoom gestures to accidentally move points.

Enjoy the badlands...

Dave
Dave
I would take the opportunity to make a remark about the two-step way point moving when touch screen is selected (Android or not ).

When way points are locked, we can't move except if the properties dialogue is open . right.
but the first step, highlighting the wpt works in any case so we can highlight accidentally a wpt (which has no utility in this case ) but the effect is that every other mouse action is temporary inactive.
this can be seen as trivial but in real condition, this is a bit boring mainly for an inexperienced user.
Don't you thing it would be better to invalid both steps ( highlight and move ) and valid both when dialogue is open ?

Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 00:18   #140

Hi
When I activate the route the indications showed are XTE BRG VMG RNG TTG and graphic representation of the boat.
It would be useful also the time distance and arrival time to the choosen waypoint and to the end of the route, the latitude and longitude of the boat, the actual speed/bearing and the VMG/bearing to the choosen waypoint and to the end of the route. Sunrise sunset route duration distance done average speed maximum speed delay.
Obviously with all theese parameters the dashboard must be configurable or composed by different pages.
The ideal possibility would be to choose what I want among all the parameters that the program can process.
Take in account that this can be done with another program that I frequently use (oruxmaps), but that is not made expressly for sailing.
Thank you for the patience
alessandrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16   #141

Hi

First of all: Thank you for the development of an Android Version of OpenCPN!

Unfortunately, OpenCPN doesn't work anymore on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet after I've updated it to Android 5.0.

I can start OpenCPN, it shows the menu-bar at the top and then crashes without displaying any charts.

I attache the Log-File to this post in hope you can find the error, why it is not working...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Jonas
Attached Files
File Type: txt opencpn.txt (932 Bytes, 52 views)
zipfelchaeppli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02   #142
Marine Service Provider

alessandrone...

Good Ideas. Please post as a Feature Request in the Flyspray tracker.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:10   #143

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Correlation between crashes and check /uncheck "Show Compass/GPS Status Window".

Hi Dave,

I don't know if someone else already reported it (and maybe this just happens on only my phone) but I found out that -at least on my Samsung S7710- there seems to be some sort of correlation between checking the "Show Compass/GPS Status Window" and the crashes that occur after a long tap on the screen (tapping to bring up the screen menu with "Measure, Object Query, Drop Mark, Navigate to Here" etc).

When the checkbox for "Show Compass/GPS Status Window" (under User Interface - Interface Options) is not checked, O crashes on my phone but when it is checked, O runs absolutely fine (and bringing up the screen-menu doesn't result in a crash anymore) .

Best regards and good luck with what is definitely my favorite app!

Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:20   #144
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Roel,

if you have the patience to show up with the relevant crash dump as described by Dave, this makes it a lot easier to catch that bug:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1876933

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 14:52   #145
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

RSkillings,

My use case is very similar to yours. OpenCPN anready can output waypoints via NMEA but does nothing with them on receive. I would liketo be able to do the route planning on the PC, shoot over the route via NMEA over wireless and use the AO on the tablet. I think that would work for you too. It has the advantage of easier one way communication and not a full Sync, but does not allow data from the tablet to go back to the PC. Do you need that direction?

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 23:24   #146

Boat: Club sailor...Victory 21, Ensign 25, Catalina 25, Lagoon 380, Catalina 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
RSkillings,

My use case is very similar to yours.

I would like to be able to do the route planning on the PC, shoot over the route via NMEA over wireless and use the AO on the tablet.

It has the advantage of easier one way communication and not a full Sync, but does not allow data from the tablet to go back to the PC.

Do you need that direction?

Cheers, Eric
Eric,

I think our use cases sound very similar !

I uploaded an image of the high level configuration I'm researching, and hope to build. Please check it out, I appreciate any and all feedback.

Based on what I'm reading in other threads on CF, I think everything I have in my doc is already being done, it's just a matter of putting all of the solutions together into a single unit. Hopefully, one I can put in a backpack and take with me when I charter.

As for being able to do a full synch from the tablet back to the laptop, I don't know if it's possible, but I would definitely like this feature.

I have yet to do any bluewater sailing, so my time enroute while using OA for the foreseeable future is likely to be less than 24-48 hours as I hop from one island to another. Despite that, I'd like the ability to easily transfer all the data I've collected with the tablet while enroute back to the laptop, and then continue using OA at the helm. That may mean I shut down the tablet, remove the memory card, copy / save the data to the laptop, then go back to using OA at the helm after re-inserting the card.

I hope this quick discussion doesn't take this thread too far down my personal path. If others think this has some merit, we can consider starting a new discussion thread.

Happy Sailing all, I truly enjoy reading about OA's progress and contributing however I can !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O-Android-BackpackSolution.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	106507  
RSkillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:13   #147

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Roel,

if you have the patience to show up with the relevant crash dump as described by Dave, this makes it a lot easier to catch that bug:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1876933

Hubert
Hello Hubert,

I would like to do that, but it seems to go way beyond my limited knowledge and skills. I cannot find an option "Take Bug Report" and I cannot find a Tombstone file or a directory /data/tombstones. The only thing I can manage is to attach my config & logfile to this post.

Btw: I found out that unchecking the "Show Compass/GPS Window" checkbox has the same (crashing) effect on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet as on my phone. And, just as on my phone, when checked everything runs fine again.

Roel
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpndotconf.doc (8.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: doc opencpndotlog.doc (3.9 KB, 39 views)
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:23   #148

hi dave, great job !

I just installed the version 4.1.718 a Z2 sony tablet. OpenCPN works well but the GPS coordinates of the cursor and are not displayed in the bottom bar.
SANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:15   #149
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Rskilling,

Yes I currently do exactly what you propose to sync, except I do it manually via a bluetooth copy to the laptop. It works fine but I don't sync as often as I should and I wind up having waypoints on the laptop that I need on the tablet.

Your diagram looks like it would work, I don't know how well the USB to ethernet will work, it will likely have the bandwidth not to drop too many sentences. I had originally home-brewed a system using cheap serial to bluetooth devices but I now use a commercial product for the whole center bit on your diagragm. It is a Shipmodul MiniPlex 2Wi (there are other brands too) and goes directly from an NMEA multplexer to WiFi. It has been very reliable.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:59   #150

Boat: Farr 38

Firstly congratulations to the development team on your exciting efforts to port OpenCPN to Android.

I have successfully installed this release on my Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet (KitKat 4.4) and HTC One phone (Lollipop 5.0) using the cm93 charts installed on both my Windows 7 Notebooks. When I tried to share OpenCPN NMEA data using the existing on-board WiFi LAN implemented as an IP "Hotspot" LAN by the Notebooks (connected to AIS via USB) and cloning the existing UDP configuration for either NMEA input or output on the tablet, I could not successfully demonstrate data sharing (eg. in NMEA debug window) despite the tablet demonstrating effective data connection to the LAN as proven on other applications. The following are the UDP port configuration parameters I use recommended on another thread in this forum. Is there something I have missed?

Cheers

Peter Mc

Output: UDP 192.168.x.x:10110
Input: UDP 0.0.0.0:10110
Peter McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn