Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 22:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2302 Released

Ahoy, OpenCPN'ers...

OpenCPN Version 3.3 Beta Build 2302 will soon be available for download from opencpn.org.

Monitor the opencpn.org Downloads page to find and download the latest Beta version binaries.....

Source is available now on github at:
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN
Branch: master

Changelog:

359. Allow multi data type selection in GRIB PlugIn (FS#1550)
360. Correct regression fault producing long startup time with large navobj.xml (FS#1554)
361. Implement simplified overlapped I/O system for Windows serial ports.
362. Correct fault in options->ship->MMSI Properties "Edit" dialog.
363. Allow truly empty chart group creation and selection.
364. Correct tide/current database location validation logic to allow arbitrary path.
365. Correct wording of MMSI Properties option "Handle this MMSI as SART/PLB MOB." (FS#1549)
366. Improve Options->Display->OpenGL Options default control enable settings.
367. Implement simple chart detail level slider control in Options->UserInterface (FS#1547)
368. Correct ENC display shortcut keys for A(nchor) and L(ights) (FS#1368)
369. Improve JumpToPosition() logic for large scale changes.
370. Migrate Mac build to latest wxWidgets 3.0.2, with backport of critical bug fixes. (FS#1551), (FS#1546)
371. Install and utilize wxstd.mo for standard messages (FS#1553)

Release 3.3.2302

Release Notes:
361, This is a major re-factor of the serial port plumbing under Windows, with some impact on other platforms. I hope it will greatly improve the reliability of seial comms, and handle transients like sleep/suspend and accidental USB dongle disconnect. Test it hard, please.

363. You may want an empty chart group to look at small scale GRIBS, especially if you do not use cm93.

367. This is new. This slider changes the behaviour of OCPN as regards switching to a larger scale base chart on zoom in quilt mode. Negative numbers means that switching occurs later, that is, with more zoom-in. Positive number mean the opposite. "Zero" is the default, as current behaviour. You may want negative numbers if you have a very high pixel count display, or a slow processor. Positive numbers may be good for low resolution display and/or high performance processor. Check out the FS#1547 for more discussion.
I don't quite like the wording of this slider in the settings dialog. "Chart Zoom Detail Level" does not quite capture the idea for me. Suggestions?
Also, we will soon need to heavily reorganize the options dialog screens. Too cluttered, and scattered concepts at this point. So the "..Detail.." slider will be moved.

Please check and clear your Flyspray issues, if possible

Thanks, and good luck

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 00:30   #2

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2302 Released

Hello Dave,

O 332302. Install easy. No problem.

First try with CM93, S57 SHOM, Kap by GE2KAP. No problem.

Second try
Options/Connexion.
See screen copy. Now, I am at home. Without USB Key, without GPS, with nothing ....

BUT OpenCPN said that there is two port com : 4 And 6 ? Strange.

B.R. Gilletarom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-03_Options _Connexion_Port_com-4_and_6.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	90815  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:59   #3

Dave,

With my EeePC, 10', W7 Starter.

I continued my tests with O332302. Say right away that when I use the CM93, everything is fluid even with a large grib file like the last test with O 332222.De same, I made about 250 charts kap (with GE2KAP). No problem. Everything is fluid. No problem with particle map: Now, Ok.

Well, almost .... The time taken to load a large grib file remains long. I stand by the idea that I have already started the thread O332222 here to have a message (or a bar indicating the progress of loading) during this phase.
Jean Pierre informed me that he tried to achieve it. Let the time it takes him to this development.

The real test relates charts VMH.

I was forced to go about it twice to add the VMH charts. In the first test, O is blocked. I closed the PC and restarted the PC.
In the second test, I check "Rebuit data base". I was much more patient. More than an hour before the charts are displayed !!!!. It's too long. But be aware that OpenGL was "ON" and the options "compression and caching" was also "ON". This might explain it.

I opened my big grib file. As always, it took a long time to appear. But once the grib displayed, I could move the display, zoom in and out smoothly. And "particle map" works.

That said, with a screen of 10 ', show the entire area covered by the large grib file is not really what there is of better. Flows that "particle map" shows are not very legible.
For against, by zooming, so a small area, it is operable.

Gilletarom.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:22   #4

Dave,

I'll probably talk about this in the long ...

These screen-shots relate VMH charts.

Here are two screenshots. In one, there is no overzoom indicated at the top left of the screen. In the two, there is a overzoom announced. However, in case 1, the probes are not readable as they are legible and are not blurred in 2. In other words, the normal level of clarity is achieved in the second case.

It seems that in case 2, the information "Overzoom" is not at all suitable.

I added 3 more screenshots. These three copies are for the same VMH chart. For this chart, never sounding are verily net. They are always more or less blurred.

What can you do that? I feel that there is a problem of scale between the official scale and the OpenCPN scale?

And of course, if the sondings are blurred, while the rest of the chart is also more or less blurred.

B. R. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-03_OpenCPN 3.3.2302_Zoom_1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	90816   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-03_OpenCPN 3.3.2302_Zoom_2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	90817  

Name:	2014-11-03_OpenCPN 3.3.2302_Zoom_3.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	90818   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-03_OpenCPN 3.3.2302_Zoom_4.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	90819  

Name:	2014-11-03_OpenCPN 3.3.2302_Zoom_5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	90820  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Folks..

The Mac .dmg installer for 3.3.2302 will be a little delayed.

Having ftp problems this morning....

Thanks for your patience
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34   #6

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Ahoy, OpenCPN'ers...
361, This is a major re-factor of the serial port plumbing under Windows, with some impact on other platforms. I hope it will greatly improve the reliability of seial comms, and handle transients like sleep/suspend and accidental USB dongle disconnect. Test it hard, please.
Dave
First.
Built very well in Win, VC++10 and using the package built as well.
Second.
For the last two or three beta version I've seen random disconnected serials (serie to usb converters) but this version seems stable using the same set-up.
Thanks Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:10   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Installed fine under W8.1 and W7 and works well with S-63.

Proposal: a function like "rebuild eSENC now" for people that want to have the charts ready and not rebuild the eSENC on demand. One might take a cup of tea in the meanwhile.... (Australian case).

I've noticed that the displaced light house sectors (Thomas reported this) are still there. Are those finally chart errors?

COM ports: why does the Garmin USB port appear always in the drop down list (when obviously no such device is connected)?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40   #8

Boat: Dufour 35

Dave
As mentioned in this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1669243 ,
there is a problem with loading .geo charts. To start with all looks OK.
You can see the outline, but when trying to display the chart the outline disappears a the log contains messages similar to
Quote:
17:32:02 CET: Initializing Chart /home/thomas/Charts/ChartsII/BSB3/Carib/Antilles - Panama Canal/24480.geo
17:32:02 CET: Chart File corrupt in PostInit() on chart /home/thomas/Charts/ChartsII/BSB3/Carib/Antilles - Panama Canal/24480.geo
17:32:02 CET: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /home/thomas/Charts/ChartsII/BSB3/Carib/Antilles - Panama Canal/24480.geo... return code 2
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27   #9

Hello Dave,

There is a topic that I discussed in this post thread about 332118: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1649640

Strangely, he had disappeared for no apparent reason. The only explanation I have is about a mysterious key that was deleted by CCleaner when cleaning the PC.

With 332222 version, I saw reappear this mysterious error message. But it has not reappeared at the beginning of the installation of the V332222 release. It appeared a little later. And he disappeared again, but this time I have no explanation to give.

I do not feel this is related to the use of charts stick VMH as had been envisaged.
By cons, and I had already planned, this could be associated with the installation of the new version of GE2KAP. Or just, I reinstalled the 14.0.0.1 release just before the re-appearance of this message.

For now, it does not appear with the 332302 release.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Dave,

I'll probably talk about this in the long ...

These screen-shots relate VMH charts.

Here are two screenshots. In one, there is no overzoom indicated at the top left of the screen. In the two, there is a overzoom announced. However, in case 1, the probes are not readable as they are legible and are not blurred in 2. In other words, the normal level of clarity is achieved in the second case.

It seems that in case 2, the information "Overzoom" is not at all suitable.

I added 3 more screenshots. These three copies are for the same VMH chart. For this chart, never sounding are verily net. They are always more or less blurred.

What can you do that? I feel that there is a problem of scale between the official scale and the OpenCPN scale?

And of course, if the sondings are blurred, while the rest of the chart is also more or less blurred.

B. R. Gilletarom.
The Overzoom problem with VMH charts is not new, but been there since at least the spring release. sorry I dont have the revision number, but the beta was so much better at com ports it was worth putting up with what was a false alert.
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:23   #11

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2302 saved tracks

Interestingly saved tracks show as 0.0 until they are double clicked and closed, then the total appears.
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38   #12

Boat: Phantom 19

Yachtman...
Ouch, a regression introduced fixing other regression... Trivial fix.

Edit: Commited to the master

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:58   #13

Hello Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Ahoy, OpenCPN'ers...
OpenCPN Version 3.3 Beta Build 2302 will soon be available for download from opencpn.org.

I don't quite like the wording of this slider in the settings dialog. "Chart Zoom Detail Level" does not quite capture the idea for me. Suggestions?
Dave
About "Chart Zoom Detail Level". A small bug and an idea.

1° I proposed in Crowdin, a translation of this item. It is currently as follows: "Niveau de détails de zoom des cartes". I downloaded and turned into "mo" with Poedit the "po" file.
BUT the display I get is "Niveau de détails de zoom des carte" Missing the last letter (s)!
The available space is not enough. Please, It would have to lengthen.."

2° I tested this new feature. I understand that:
- If one goes to "-5", the scale used for the cards can not be greater than a certain value.
- If you go to "5", the scale used for the cards can not be less than a certain value.

Indeed, it was not understood on reading the item.

On one hand, it would be nice if these two values ​​(maximum and minimum) was known by changing the slider.

On the other hand, in French, I'd put the following translation: "Choosing a maximum or minimum scale used." I'm not sure that's the best idea but ....

"Choix de l'échelle maximale ou minimale utilisable" in French. (note that this is a very long text)

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:27   #14

Boat: Dufour 35

Dave

Regarding #367. Zoom/Quilt control or whatever......
I find that it works for raster charts but not for CM93.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 17:44   #15

Boat: "Mollymawk" 50ft Steel Ketch

Gilletarom, the idea of the slider is to change the zoom "bias", if you like, when zooming in and out. I proposed this because on some screens with the default "0" setting the charts are unreadably small.
Setting it to a lower value makes OCPN delay switching charts when zooming in, so the effect is the charts are larger and more readable.
Or, if you like, it could be expressed as: With a negative value, the same zoom level shows a less detailed chart. With a positive value, the same zoom level shows a more detailed chart.

I am unsure that the current label is ideal, or fully conveys the purpose of the slider. I can't think of a good alternative, though.
Perhaps, in addition to the title, we can have a short explanatory text? something like the above (the part in italics)?

Thomas, I believe this slider affects raster and ENC, but excluding CM93. CM93 is still affected only by the "CM93 detail level" slider on the Charts>Vector Charts page of the options.
It might, perhaps, be good if these two sliders were on the same page of the options.

~ Caesar

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn