Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 17:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.2302 Released

Caesar...

Nice explanation of the new chart detail slider function.

But we still need a term for this tweak parameter.

Thomas...

The new slider works for S57ENC as well as raster. Useful here also as a performance modifier for lo-spec machines. Negative numbers reduce the rendered level-of-detail at a specific displayed screen scale, thus improving performance.

The cm93 composite chart stack is treated as a single "chart" in the context of zooming. There is only the one yellow selector button, and it is always the smallest scale available. One cannot zoom in so as to cause a switch from some other chart to cm93. Cannot happen.

As Caesar notes, the cm93 detail slider on the Vector Charts tab controls zoom behaviour within the cm93 composite "chart". No change there.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:15   #17

Boat: "Mollymawk" 50ft Steel Ketch

Dave,

Has the chart rotation ( keys [, ], and / ) been disabled in newer betas, or does it not work on OS X?

~ Caesar
Old 03-11-2014, 18:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom, et al...

Regarding VMH charts:

1. Early overzoom indication:
This is complicated. The chart you are looking at (0148-0_W.KAP) is encoded by KAP as having a scale of 110,000. But actually, the paper chart has (had?) a scale of 30,000. You can see this in the chart notes in the NW corner. So the KAP was made by VMH as a digital or photographic reduction from the original paper chart.

In theory, we should base our "overzoom" determination on the 30,000 number. But we don't have that information in OCPN.

Not sure what can be done here. I will investigate.

2. Fuzzy rendering:
Related to 1) above. If the chart was reduced from 1/30,000 scale to 1/110,000 scale in original production, some sharpness will be lost if the chart is later digitally enlarged (by OPCN) to a larger scale. Simple optics.

On my machine, it seems a little sharper than your attached pictures. Please try a test with OpenGL, but without raster compression/caching. It will be slow, but maybe more clear. This is just a test to see if the raster compression algorithm is modifying the chart image too much.

Thanks
Dave
Old 03-11-2014, 19:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

Regarding:
"Invalid Key Device Do you want to remake the key?" message.

This definitely comes from the VMH chart stick. Part of the encryption system. From the support site of the maker of the protection device:

"Because the Key uses the computer hardware signatures, some changes can affect the validity of the Key, for instance, CPU, BIOS, and LAN card. The end-user may get the following error messages: Error loading Key device!, Invalid Key device!"

Are you changing the computer hardware in any way? Even starting/stopping the network (Wifi?) connection may have this effect, I suspect.

Anyway, not part of OCPN. Part of VMH stick.

Sorry
Dave
Old 04-11-2014, 01:26   #20

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

Sorry Dave, but :

This morning I wanted to try the new slider with VMH charts since they are rasters. But I suffered a long series of crash. You have received several reports. I tried with the values ​​0 and 5 new slider. But I'm not sure it is relevant. I will uninstall all versions of my OpenCPN, cleaned the machine and reinstalled O 322 and O 332302. Then I start again my tests.

About the message that you assign only VMH, there is still something that concerns O. With O322, this message appears in launching O. With O 332 222 appeared by clicking on the icon "Option" even if the VMH cards n were not used (I did not stick to this moment).
This difference shows that the O code triggers something ....

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:00   #21

Hello Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Gilletarom...

Regarding:
"Invalid Key Device Do you want to remake the key?" message.
This definitely comes from the VMH chart stick. Part of the encryption system. From the support site of the maker of the protection device:
Are you changing the computer hardware in any way? Even starting/stopping the network (Wifi?) connection may have this effect, I suspect.

Anyway, not part of OCPN. Part of VMH stick.

Sorry
Dave
I still have the same PC for a long time.
You say that change can occur wifi connection .... When I'm home, I use a connection cable. On the boat, uses a wireless connection with a receiver / transmitter amplifier. Currently, I am not at home. I'm not on my boat. And I use the wireless card on the PC.
These changes mode connection they intervene? I'll be careful in the future.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:19   #22
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom....

Regarding your crashes today with VMH:

I have seen something like this before. There is a file access problem with the cached raster textures. You may see this in your logfile ("Access denied").

It relates to VMH only, and is somehow related to the data protection scheme used in the chartstick. And may be related to the "Invalid key" message.

The protection system may be thinking that OCPN is trying to make a decrypted clean copy of the charts on the stick, and that is forbidden. I need to investigate further.

Do you see the "Invalid key" message every time you click the OCPN options tool? Or only occasionally?

Dave
Old 04-11-2014, 06:22   #23

Blimey, this VMH sounds like a piece of s***t, I wouldn't want to buy their product.
It's the typical situation with DRM, where it hurts the honest user more than the pirate.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38   #24
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Mollymawk,

the guys from VMH are really nice people - but this type of stuff happens when you have to deal with DRM schemes.
Especially when the software/Hardware combinations are endless like in the case of OCPN.

With S-63 we have had already some surprises as well. And we will have to live with those.
The only solution is to have open charts like in the US, but this is not foreseeable for the near future.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:48   #25

I'm sure you're right, maybe I'm being too harsh. But in the end, being really nice people doesn't always help if you use a crappy DRM system that hurts your users.

And I know, it's not entirely their fault. They have to assure the people they license the charts from that they can prevent copying. It's an industry problem which needs to be overcome, like the music industry overcame it and the eBook industry is largely doing so.

In the end, DRM hurts everyone. It hurts the honest users by punishing them for their honesty, and it hurts the copyright holder by encouraging piracy because the pirated version is a better product, without the restrictions of DRM. (Here I am referring to what was learnt in the music and eBook industries. I have no idea if VMH or similar charts have yet been pirated.)

You're right, open charts are the best solution. But I can't see it happening.

~ Caesar
Old 04-11-2014, 06:51   #26

By the way, I thought VMH used a hardware key? So they shouldn't need system fingerprints, should they?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:56   #27
bcn

The VisitMyHarbor package contains the complete Admiralty raster chart set for the UK (including one year of updates).
UKHO/Admiralty offers those charts at a nominal fee for recreational purposes but you have to package and encrypt it, enabling some DRM scheme.
Not available for individuals.

This is something we might do from OCPN as well, especially as there are no versions for MAC or *NIX. And we would be able to go vector.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00   #28
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Caesar...

Thomas...

The new slider works for S57ENC as well as raster. Useful here also as a performance modifier for lo-spec machines. Negative numbers reduce the rendered level-of-detail at a specific displayed screen scale, thus improving performance.

Dave
This includes the S-63/S-57 chart sets. Tested today and working well.
Old 04-11-2014, 14:46   #29

Dave,

Tonight I process, as announced, to uninstall all versions of OpenCPN and also all versions of GE2KAP.
After that, as usual I clean the PC with CCleaner. And indeed, I saw appear a key in the registry. See the screenshot attached below.

Then I reinstalled O 322. And immediately uninstalled O322. Then re-clean the PC with CCleaner. No trace of the registry key.

I installed new O 322 and I added the VMH cards. Nota bene, it took almost 35 minutes for the cards are loaded. Whether it is long.
Then I uninstalled O322 and clean the PC with CCleaner. No trace of the registry key ...

And again, I installed O 322 then I installed GE2KAP V14.0.0.1. And I uninstalled everything. And I still cleaned the PC with CCleaner. Nothing, no trace of the registry key.

Well, tomorrow, I'll still testing with O 332302. See you tomorrow.

Ah ... I forgot to say. No trace of the message invalid key.

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-04_Invalid_key.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	90893  
Old 04-11-2014, 15:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The VisitMyHarbor package contains the complete Admiralty raster chart set for the UK (including one year of updates).
UKHO/Admiralty offers those charts at a nominal fee for recreational purposes but you have to package and encrypt it, enabling some DRM scheme.
Not available for individuals.

This is something we might do from OCPN as well, especially as there are no versions for MAC or *NIX. And we would be able to go vector.
Is this available for Admiralty charts outside the UK?
The Admiralty produced excellent charts of much of the world, and their old surveys are still the main basis of the charts printed by many foreign HOs, so I would hope so.

What does it cost?
If OCPN were to do this, what would charts cost?

~Caesar

(PS - OS X is Unix... :-p )

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn