Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2013, 17:26   #61
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 3.3.1117 Released

Littlechay....

If I may be so bold...

Why do you want/need multiple different versions of grib_pi resident and running on your system?

If for testing only, I thank you in advance.
If, however, you are compensating for bugs in the most recent version, we need to know all about those bugs, please.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 00:07   #62

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I have corrected the missing strings in the AIS target query dialog. Github .pot is updated.
Thanks
Dave
Confirmed Many thanks
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 00:18   #63

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsail View Post
hi dave
more info, to change size of text on vectorchart (cm93) a use toolbox user interface. I can can change the font size but when using apply or ok button opencpn closes and I am back on desktop. opencpn doesnt hang its just closes
same thing with changing toolbar and windowsstyle
hopes this is more clear

johan
Johan

I can't repeat that on Kubuntu 13.10 64 bits.
If you start "opencpn" from the command line, what message do get when it quits?
If you want to go one step further, try the instructions on this page Help the Developers Fixing Bugs! | Official OpenCPN Homepage .

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 00:57   #64

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Hello GRIB-ers....

The crash bug in the GRIB PlugIn with 3.3.1117 is now understood. It happens when there is no (or empty) last GRIB file entry in the .ini file.
We will not release a new Beta for this fix. Interested testers may use this attachment, or build from source.

Thanks
Dave
Dave..
The attached dll-file successfully tested. I emptied my grib-dir and an empty dir warning popped up.

Though a small "users can do whatever unexpected handling" -note:
If I, with a still empty dir, hide the grib window and paste a grib file to the dir and thereafter show the grib again the empty dir warning and the empty file field is still there. Of course if I use the "Open File" button the file is there. Or if I close and reopen OCPN everything is normal. The reason for this behaviour is clear and I don't know if it's worth the efforts to code a directory rereading upon unhiding the grib window?
Thanks Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 03:49   #65

Boat: spray 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Johan

I can't repeat that on Kubuntu 13.10 64 bits.
If you start "opencpn" from the command line, what message do get when it quits?
If you want to go one step further, try the instructions on this page Help the Developers Fixing Bugs! | Official OpenCPN Homepage .

Thomas
Hi Tomas
Run in terminal and when open option (toolbar) this text appears
(opencpn:2794): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 13

(opencpn:2794): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 13

and when pressing ok or apply in user interfaces
segmentation fault appears and opencpn closes

and its always after opening user interfaces tab! I dont have to change anything!

will try to install the bug helper tonight

Johan
jlsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 05:45   #66

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

bdcat wrote:
Quote:
Littlechay....If I may be so bold...

Why do you want/need multiple different versions of grib_pi resident and running on your system? ....
Thanks Dave
Dave, I think I have a good answer for you.
1. Interface is different between different grib versions.
2. Newer grib versions support more grib types, but they do not provide a way of loading two different gribs so that we can have a RTOFS current grib loaded with a Wind and Pressure grib at the same time. --Why is this useful? .....So that Weather_routing_pi can use the separate Grib "current" data type with the "wind" data type in the other file. It leads to better routing results and it works!

I've posted this request in Tracker under Grib_pi and I think Jean Pierre will get to it eventually, but I will repeat suggestion here:
1. Grib_pi be ability to load two grib files of the same/similar time period and area. OR
2. Grib_pi ability to load grib additional data_types (current) into currently loaded grib, if the data_type is within the time period and area of the parent grib.

I know that Weather_routing_pi can handle two gribs that are loaded by two separate instances of grib_pi (have to have different names).

I believe an import filter to import grib data from a second file could be made to only import data_types from a second separate grib file which conform to the parent grib file's time period and area, and then save the the parent file and reload it....

...so the user can do a routing with both wind and currents.

Thanks.

Vote for this feature in Tracker please. We have proof of concept! FS#984 under pi_Grib project.

http://opencpn.org/ocpn/flyspray/ind...ls&task_id=984
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:07   #67

Boat: Dufour 35

Displaying two gribs at the same time is not difficult.
Inspired by the fact that Saildocs merge GFS and WW3 into one grib, I did a simple test.

Quote:
$cat grib1 grib 2 > merged grib
Worked just fine. Nominally there could be a problem with timestamps, but I suppose that the built interpolation helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	merged.png
Views:	153
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	70985

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:55   #68

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thomas adding:
-Time & Grid area filter to match the parent girb (or first file selected).
-Dialogue selection of parent and import grib in Grib_pi plugin for regular users.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:54   #69

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
The crash bug in the GRIB PlugIn with 3.3.1117 is now understood. It happens when there is no (or empty) last GRIB file entry in the .ini file.
Dave
I'm sorry for this mistake

Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 13:31   #70

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,
Quote:
Gilletarom...

I have corrected the missing strings in the AIS target query dialog. Github .pot is updated.

In the AIS Target List, the term "Interval" is actually, in English, "Range". This word is in the pot file, and may be translated. Am I confused here?

Dave
Bravo for your quick update pot file. But there is still anomalies.

1° Here join my last version of french file language. So you can test with it if you like. This file use the last pot file. (Just for test by you Dave)

2° In the pot file as in the french file, "in" is present and it is translated by "dans".
But you can see on the screen copy that "in" is not translated. (CPA line)

3° Yes, "Range" is in the pot file. Yes it is tranlated in the french file by "Distance"
BUT
On the screen copy, you can see that instead of "Distance" there is "Intervalle" ....

I think that I can explain this phenomenon.

"Range" is present in the opencpn.pot file but "Range" is also present in the pot file of grib plugin. And in french, according to the context, in one case I translate it by "Distance" and in the other case I translate it by "Intervalle" .... Old problem of OpenCPN items.....
Is my idea is correct ?

B.R. Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-11-24_OpenCPN 3.3.1117_AIS_liste_and_AIS-target-info_with_Third_pot_file.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	70996   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-24 IN.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	70999  

Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn_French_files_language_V3.3.1117_C1.zip.doc (51.0 KB, 49 views)
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 13:38   #71

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave and hello Ptizef.

I can solve the problem of the translation of the item "Range" by putting "Distance" as tanslation in the language file grib plugin.

However, I must notice that Ptizef explain to me at the same time what distance (or range) it is. (see attached screen print)

In addition, if the "100" value is modified by decreasing it automatically returns to 100 after open and close the Preferences window grib plugin. Is this normal?

Another question: In the last line preferences grib plugin, it is a question of "Numbers". And these numbers can apparently change spacing. But nothing changes if the spacing value is changed.
Is this normal or did not understand?

B.R Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-11-24 OpencPN 3.3.1117_Grib_plugin_preferences.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	70998  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 18:57   #72
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom....

1. OK on your understanding of "Range" question. There can be only one translation of a particular word, even though there are separate .po files for OCPN and the PlugIns. At run-time, the .mo files are merged. The first encountered (in this case, the opencpn_fr_FR.mo) takes precedence.

2. I will study the "in" question. Simple solution, I expect.

3. I will let jp address the GRIB Preferences dialog questions.

Thanks for the newest translation.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:21   #73

Quote:
Why do you want/need multiple different versions of grib_pi resident and running on your system?
Sorry about the slow reply, building a tender

For testing the various versions, the branches really as they add more features. The original grib plugin wasn't very useful. Now it's getting there. I tend to use ZyGrib as my default weather viewer. It's powerful, quick, very configurable, etc.. but that is all it does.

Sometimes its nice to have weather on the chart too though, and this is getting there.

I'm usually busy or at sea without internet access so it's difficult to participate, but this version of the default plugin is getting there.

I don't use weather routing progs but I do play with them for novelty value and to see if they are doing anything radically different to what I intuitively do so I don't need great complexity..

I need.

*10m Wind - displayed as barbs or as shading (shading of wind strength has gone it seems? )
*sea level barometric pressure - as isobars, sometimes as shading
*500mb height, and wind - isobars, sometimes as wind shading (latest version of ZyGrib does this nicely)
*total precipitation - always as shading (except on meteogram - see below)

sometimes I look at:
* Swell, evaluating landing possibilities or anchorages etc., but that's usually fairly instinctive
*temperature
* Cape

And sometimes I tinker with all sorts of things.

What I would really like to see is the 'meteogram' that ZyGrib and some other GRIB viewers feature.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature but if you have coloured shading turned on, for example precipitation, and zoom in less than the extents of the GRIB the shading disappears. I would like to have an option to keep this on.

Cheers
Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 23:59   #74

The "Range" for wind barbed arrows parameter in fact is no active and do nothing . The initial idea of this parameter is not relevant. It's why when you change the value, it return to 100.
In fact there are two parameters without any action:
- "Range" for wind barbed arrows we are speaking about
- "Size" for waves and current direction arrows for waves and current
What would be a useful parameter to replace these ?
I thought about "minimum spacing" , or "colors", or "size" ? but no one seems very useful except may be "minimum spacing" to ovoid cluttered screen with low zoomed view?
Any idea ?
Jean Pierre
Old 25-11-2013, 00:32   #75

Littlechay

-If by "shading" you refer to coloured overlay , it is available for all parameters including wind.
just open the setting dialogue, choice the concerned parameter, click "overlay" and choice the better colour.
-All parameters you have mentioned are available:
wind,Pressure,Precipitation,waves,temperature (sea level and 2m), CAPE
You have to select how you want to see them one by one in the preference dialogue if the default do not suit you.

for the missing function, (500mb wind & pressure, a 'meteogram' and overlay size ) please open a new task in flyspray grib

anyway the better should be to keep only the last version , where no function have been removed but numbers have been added, so it's the more complete
thanks for your testing efforts
Jean Pierre

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn