Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 13-09-2009, 16:44   #1261

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Hi all.

In case you haven't noticed,the Clipper round the world race has just started from the Humber,UK on it's first leg to La Rochelle,France. You can follow the race here:

Race Viewer

Unfortunately I don't think the boats are obliged to (or willing) transmit their positions by AIS so we have to rely on the above link for position reports.
Old 13-09-2009, 17:46   #1262

Boat: Hylas 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All....

Thanks for the good words on Build 911, and all your comments.

1. DeleteAllRoutes, then right click crash understood. Easy fix... May be responsible for lots of random right-click crashes.
2. Still blubaju crashes with AIS input. Crash dump files imply problems with an errant pointer in the MS run-time library, I think.... Still open. Surprising that Sinbad7 has not reported same, since he is heavy AIS Vista user......
3. Some problem with skewed ICW charts, waiting on screen dump.
Can anyone simulate this?
4. Anything else I missed, disregarding feature requests?

Thanks again
Dave
Hi Dave

Regarding item 2 above:

I too had the crashes with AIS input. I am using eterlogic's TCPclient virtual port. The default read timeout was disabled. That parameter had not been changed. OpenCPN would crash on startup with the port specified, but missing and after a few minutes with AIS data coming in.

When the read timeout was changed to 5 seconds, the crashes ceased. Even after returning the read timeout to disabled.

So it appears that your suspicion of an errant pointer was true, at least in my case.

No more AIS crashes.

Thanks to all.

Regards
Chuck
Old 13-09-2009, 17:57   #1263

Dave,

I know that I am not the first to ask for that feature, and that it is easy to ask and not so easy to do it, but it would be very practical if it was possible to have range/bearing visible on the route(s) without opening the "Route Properties".

A first solution would be to show the information for all the segments of a road when the mouse passes over one of them.

Another solution would be to have an option in Toolbox " Show legs range/bearing" and then all the segments of all the routes would show the information.

Something like that :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	range-bearing.png
Views:	288
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	9919  
Old 13-09-2009, 18:18   #1264
Marine Service Provider

Status

ChuckSK...
Can you explain the function of "Read Timeout" in your virtual port setup? I'd like to understand this from the root cause....

Manimaul: Got the new .cpp and .h However, the full src zip file appears to be old. No sign of new img_ship_green, etc. It is in the cpp, though....

LeaseOnLife: Found and corrected the creeping caterpillar bug. wxWidgets, Windows build only bug. Worked around in my code. Thanks. No need for screenshots.

GPS-Marco: Do you have a specific Euro1950 RNC in mind? I have only a couple for reference....

Thanks all
Dave
Old 13-09-2009, 19:28   #1265

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
if this is of any help
PC-GPS: Navilock NL302U (USB) & sometimes QSTARZ BT Q1300 Bluetooth
AIS Receiver Chinese no name on Serial4
NMEA/Seatalk with GPS is not wired to PC at present

All muxed together with Francis GPS Gate
no other program has a problem with the datastream from GPSGate

Raytech RNS caused a serious crash (bad C++ call) destroying windows WMI, had to install all Network related stuff twice anew, what happened: have 3HDD and a build in 8GB CF. All charts are stored 3x, no problem for any navprogram but Raymarine, no way to point to charts, it scans the entire PC and wants to install all, that makes 4492 BSB charts only, uninterruptable loading and ends with a crash. Be it 3x the same file name or just to many, I do not know. The new (2years!) CMAP Reader is not recognized too. But it costs US$ 600! The more let's appreciate the great work of Dave!
PS, oCPN had no problem digesting all US-ENC, China Sea, CM93 and BSB of entire Med (1200 charts);-)
Old 13-09-2009, 21:05   #1266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Manimaul: Got the new .cpp and .h However, the full src zip file appears to be old. No sign of new img_ship_green, etc. It is in the cpp, though....
oops, i posted the wrong link ... correct one: opencpn_icons_cpp.zip
Old 14-09-2009, 04:49   #1267

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Here's the Clipper Race round the world's positions this morning at 11:00 UTC.
Just passing North Foreland entering the Dover Strait. Finnish boat is in the lead.
Unfortunately it does not look as though they are using AIS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 14 08.43.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	9925  
Old 14-09-2009, 05:57   #1268

NMEA output?

Dave, I have used OpenCPN a little and like what I see. I have been unable to get it to transmit NMEA which would put the next waypoint into my seatalk network (I have a converter box) for display on the radar screen....can it do that? I confess that I have not read all 85 pages in this thread...if the answer is in there I apologize. Which raises a second question: is there any is there any source of additional user information? Thanks in advance. Bruce
Old 14-09-2009, 06:08   #1269

Boat: Sailboat
Hotkeys for GLOBAL_COLOR_SCHEME aka "The dimmer"

Dave,

Besides the point that some charts don't support pallets.

I found a mismatch between help file and working hotkeys:

At least on my XP, the hot keys for the dimmer are not CTRL-1, CTRL-2, CTRL-3 as per help file. ALT-1, ALT-2, ALT-3 work instead. Others please check on their Vista, Linux, Apples

Also: we have 4 states for the dimmer, I found this:

SetAndApplyColorScheme(GLOBAL_COLOR_SCHEME_RGB) SetAndApplyColorScheme(GLOBAL_COLOR_SCHEME_DAY) SetAndApplyColorScheme(GLOBAL_COLOR_SCHEME_DUSK) SetAndApplyColorScheme(GLOBAL_COLOR_SCHEME_NIGHT)

I don't think we need four hot keys, but should designate a single F key and use it to toggle through the dimmer-states, like the button on the screen.does.
Old 14-09-2009, 06:13   #1270

Hotkeys for Auto-Follow F8&F9 vs F2

Dave,

The help describes F8 & F9 as Auto Follow On/Off. And it works as described.

But I also found F2 toggles the Auto Follow On/Off. Since the button on the screen is a toggle, I suggest to only use the F2 and drop F8/F9 (reserve for future functionality). And update the help please.

Dirk
Old 14-09-2009, 06:14   #1271

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Here's the Clipper Race round the world's positions this morning at 11:00 UTC.
Just passing North Foreland entering the Dover Strait. Finnish boat is in the lead.
Unfortunately it does not look as though they are using AIS.
Sindbad, wonderful boats, but please take this to another thread!
Old 14-09-2009, 06:33   #1272

Missing icon in XP task switcher

Using ALT-TAB to switch tasks, opencpn shows itself like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opencpn-missing-icon-task-switcher.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	9927  
Old 14-09-2009, 07:39   #1273

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
I have been unable to get it to transmit NMEA which would put the next waypoint into my seatalk network (I have a converter box) for display on the radar screen....
Most SeaTalk to NMEA converters are one way - SeaTalk TO NMEA, not the other way around. If this is the case for yours and your radar has a NMEA input, you could wire it in that way.
Old 14-09-2009, 07:51   #1274

Boat: Privilege 39
Suggestion: This thread is getting pretty huge and unwieldy with lots of off-topic chatter (like this post!!). There's a certain critical mass reached with this project now. Since so much OpenCPN dev happens here on CF, I wonder if CF would open up a dedicated board just for OpenCPN in "Engineering & Systems"?.

Then instead of everything being in one massive thread, it can spread out a bit. It will also require good moderation with active+dedicated people that have the power to split threads (i.e. force off-topic posts into a new thread).

If CF admins are not willing to do this, maybe it's time for an independent forum for OpenCPN? This has it's advantages as well as disadvantages...
Old 14-09-2009, 08:05   #1275
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Suggestion: This thread is getting pretty huge and unwieldy with lots of off-topic chatter (like this post!!). There's a certain critical mass reached with this project now. Since so much OpenCPN dev happens here on CF, I wonder if CF would open up a dedicated board just for OpenCPN in "Engineering & Systems"?.

Then instead of everything being in one massive thread, it can spread out a bit. It will also require good moderation with active+dedicated people that have the power to split threads (i.e. force off-topic posts into a new thread).

If CF admins are not willing to do this, maybe it's time for an independent forum for OpenCPN? This has it's advantages as well as disadvantages...
I had been thinking the same thing. I will bring it up in the moderator back room and see what the team has to say about it.
Closed Thread