Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 15:54   #1

Boat: Richter 42
ODraw - beta 1.1

Hi,
I have just started work on the next version of OD to add some new functionality that has been requested. The first pass on this is to add the ability to check if a 'line' crosses a boundary. I have implemented this as part of the Watchdog Boundary Distance alarm, where the nearest boundary is is found. This should cut down on the amount of work being done in the messaging system so that there are now only 36 checks done instead of 160.

If you want to try this out you will need a clone of my ocpn_draw_pi git repository and use the 'release_1.1' branch. You will also need a clone of my watchdog repository using the 'fixes' branch and make sure you have patch 044 built.

Currently I will not be providing executables as it is too early in the process for that. If you want to try the beta you will need to compile it yourself.

As I am now working on the new version I would appreciate it if the list of items in flyspray was updated with votes for what is required so that I know what is the more important updates to add.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:15   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: ODraw - beta 1.1

Jon,
Do you agree that ODraw meets this Feature Request.

FS#573 : Chart Notes - Annotations & drawings by User on a layer

My only question is about the ease and use of layers, at this point.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 14:33   #3

Rick,
As far as I know OD does what is required by this. Layers works the same as it does for OCPN, being read only.

Do you think there is a facility missing in OD that needs addressing?

Jon
Old 03-05-2016, 18:18   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks, Jon. I haven't thought about it enough, and have been busy with O spring cleaning, so I haven't cracked ODraw for awhile. My hunch is that ODraw is the answer for the Tracker request.

Can you advise in a little more detail for me,
"Layers works the same as it does for OCPN, being read only."
So the ODraw objects cannot be edited once moved to a layer?
Essentially they are "locked" in place?

I will promote this on Tracker Sticky.
Quote:
As I am now working on the new version I would appreciate it if the list of items in flyspray was updated with votes for what is required so that I know what is the more important updates to add.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 19:25   #5

Rick,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Layers can be imported into OD but the items imported are read only, i.e. you cannot change them. This is the same behaviour as OCPN.

To get an object into a layer you will need first to export it then import it into a layer.

Jon
Old 19-05-2016, 19:29   #6

Hi,
I have now updated the Watchdog plugin so that it can be used with this beta version. If the beta version is not being used then the old code will be used. I have also updated the Time alarm to use the new line crossing check.

This method could also be used for Weather Routing, but I am not sure if I should be updating that at the moment as Sean was re-working it.

Jon
Old 24-05-2016, 09:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hi,
I have just started work on the next version of OD to add some new functionality that has been requested. The first pass on this is to add the ability to check if a 'line' crosses a boundary. I have implemented this as part of the Watchdog Boundary Distance alarm, where the nearest boundary is is found. This should cut down on the amount of work being done in the messaging system so that there are now only 36 checks done instead of 160.

If you want to try this out you will need a clone of my ocpn_draw_pi git repository and use the 'release_1.1' branch. You will also need a clone of my watchdog repository using the 'fixes' branch and make sure you have patch 044 built.

Currently I will not be providing executables as it is too early in the process for that. If you want to try the beta you will need to compile it yourself.

Jon
Good afternoon jon.As i've been directed to your thread by some forum's users i thought it would be great that you tried to implemet this feature in your useful odraw plugin. Please check this post of mine and ifmyou have anynquestions and want to develeope a code for it i'll be very pleased to help you with the tests and so.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2128057

Anyway, the draw plugin is good now but i am expecting nervouslly the new version to see what's new and whatnelse we can do with opencpn thanks to you

Regards,
palolo1
palolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:52   #8

palolo1,
This idea is very similar to a 'Guard Zone' that was requested during the original development of OD. There is a flyspray for this: #FS1881.

There is currently the concept of a Guard Zone which is currently implemented in Watchdog, but it uses static boundaries drawn in OD. I was waiting to see if there was any interest in having moveable boundaries that were drawn as radial sectors. I think this is what you want. So I will have a look and see if I can workout how to draw and then in interrogate for this type of boundary (EBL's now use angle relative to north and distance so that they can move with the boat both laterally and rotationally).

I 'think' at the moment it may be a case of building on the EBL structure and making a new boundary type. Most of the code for the Watchdog is already in place as you can already select a static 'Guard Zone' to check for AIS intrusions. This may need a minor upgrade.

Jon
Old 24-05-2016, 16:04   #9

Thanks for your fast answer jon.It will be great if finally the sectors are developed in the odraw plugin. But greater even if there wasan specific icon on the draw plugin board to create it...by introducing the 2 bearings and the 2 distances for each sector that one wants to be created and also bei g able to choose between being fixed to the north or to the ship's course.

From my point of view, even if the code is nearly the same of what you already have coded, having it as a separate feature (maybe called sectors) would make opencpn and your plugin easier to use and so more functional.

But of course you are the programmer.You decide.

Again, thanks for the response and the effort you make.It's great to have contacted directly with the developer of the drawing plugin.

palolo1
Old 25-05-2016, 04:29   #10

Good morning Jongough. I'm replying to your last post to me because I think there's no need to stablish the sectors I requested to be implemented as "Guard Zones". Just having them drawn on the Chart and being able to fix them to the ownship would be great. No alarms, No Guard Zones. Just drawings in the screen that keep fixed to the ship, rotating or not rotating dependind on the user's need to keep them fixed to the north or to the ship's course.

I posted a video of what should be the result. Please check it at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2128057

I also post here a picture of what the sectors add to the odraw plugin could finally be, to give an idea of the final result.

Thanks again.

Regards,

palolo1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sectors.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	124848  
Old 25-05-2016, 06:46   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Jon,

I am working on weather routing right now, so we should be able to do boundary integration properly in a few days. Thanks for the patience.

Sean
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 08:57   #12
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Jon,

I am working on weather routing right now, so we should be able to do boundary integration properly in a few days. Thanks for the patience.

Sean
Sean,

what about vector chart shorelines in this context? Is that something you have thought about?

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 15:09   #13

palolo1,
What you show is what I have been thinking about, its just been on the back burner. I just have to workout how to draw the sector in a way that lets its functionality be modified easily when it is tested. I think I have an idea of how to make it work. The rest, i.e. watchdog/alarms, is already there, just have to add the 'new' guard zone to the check.

Regards
Jon
Old 26-05-2016, 02:44   #14

Good morning jongouugh. I really can't wait to see this milestone being developed. Hope to see it soon.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

palolo1
Old 06-06-2016, 01:19   #15

Hi,
I have just put up patch 1.1.4 which includes the first pass at a Guard Zone attached to the boat. It can rotate with the boat or be fixed in orientation. The Guard Zone is drawn as a sector of a circle with only two ODPoints. The Points are used to change the size of the zone, so you will need to click on one and then select 'Move' to adjust the size.

I have not got persistence working correctly yet, so the zones will tend to stay persistent over restarts particularly if you create a zone with type 'persistent' then change it to non-persistent. So, it is still a work in progress.

The Guard Zone (GZ) is only used in drawings at the moment. There is no connection to alarms or the ability to query them. This will come next.

So if you want to have a go you will need to build this from the 'release_1.1' branch for your platform. I am not going to create executables at the moment as I am still working on getting it working. Sorry if this causes an issue.

Regards
Jon