Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-05-2016, 10:14   #1996
Marine Service Provider

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The problem is that just dealing with the huge incoming list of targets then constantly computing distances for ten thousand or more targets is CPU intensive. Displaying the targets isn't the CPU pig. It's all those floating point calculations and the endless wading through the list throwing out hundreds of old targets and adding hundreds of new ones every few seconds.

The only way to get an Internet service AIS to perform is to use their API to select the desirable targets at their server. They all have that feature but i believe you have to pay something to use it.
Witch targets that is desirable will continuously change while you are steaming/sailing and will be different for all using the tcp stem, depending of your location. I'm not a programmer but it should be possible to make a filter witch is not to cpu intensive that for example will remove targets with a distance more than 30 nautical miles away from ownship ? is there any program language that will these calculations more effectively than other ??
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 16:55   #1997

Boat: Valiant 42

No it is not easy to make such a filter that does not use CPU time. The API of the AIS server will select targets based on your criteria such as distance from your present location. This saves time on the receive end and reduces the amount of data by about 100:1. This is the way to solve the problem.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 00:21   #1998

Thumbs up Re: Feature Requests

Good morning. I'm new in the fórum, but i've been using OPEN CPN for a long time.

After the last versión, I decided to go on this fórum to request new features for OPEN CPN that will make the day for me and some friends of mine.

Could somebody develope a feature in OPEN CPN that allows the users to draw and activate/deactivate sectors fixed to own ship's position?

The sectors (it could be useful to add/delete/modify them after being created) would be created by 2 true or relative bearings and two depths (in meters,miles or nautical yards) and then to maintain their position relative to the geographic North or relative to the ship's course, thus rotating when the ships alters her course.

Also, If they could be created with different kinds of lines and/or colors they would allow the user to play a bit more with them.

And if they would allow the user to name them and this name to appear on the screen it would the greatest for me and my friends. If somebody needs more information on what I really need to be implemented I'm pretty sure i'll be able to clarify by e-mail.

I think i've uploaded with this post a picture of what I'd like to be implemented in OPENCPN DRAW plugin as a new feature or anywhere else.

Please let me know if this idea is considered to be developed. Thanks in advance to all for the fórum and the great ideas that i've found on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SECTORS.gif
Views:	135
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	124737  
palolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 00:35   #1999

@palolo1: could you please explain the use of such a feature. Is it to show the dead-angle while sailing? something like the "rotating polar" positioned over the actual position and rotating based on NMEA wind-angles? (see qtVlm - which has this feature).
Please explain the use and usefulness so that we can support you.
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 02:44   #2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
@palolo1: could you please explain the use of such a feature. Is it to show the dead-angle while sailing? something like the "rotating polar" positioned over the actual position and rotating based on NMEA wind-angles? (see qtVlm - which has this feature).
Good morning again, skipperearly. Thanks for your answer and question. The intention of this feature is to monitor the position of another vessel/vessels inside this sectors. It is not intended to rotate with the wind. It's only intended to rotate -or to be kept static referred to the geographic North (this would be selectable when creating the sector)- depending on the ownship's course.

If a vessel keeps inside the sector, no alarm to sound, and if the ship monitored goes outside, then to sound an alarm.

Navy proceedings purposes. Not merchant/sailing vessels purposes. Sorry if i didn't clarified it before.
Old 23-05-2016, 02:46   #2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperearly View Post
I will prepare two short videos to make all those things clear enough. Will upload them shortly.
Old 23-05-2016, 03:02   #2002
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Paolo,

have you seen the Draw-Plug-in?
It has some features that might help you - not exactly what you are showing, but it would be worthwile to play with it to see how far you get.

What you would like to see one can call a safety contour, in your case a circular one with sectors with might be other safety contours.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 05:17   #2003

Thanks for the info lgLeason. Could you please post the url to that? There are many threads on this forum...and much more posts to search.
Thanms again.Regards,
palolo1
Old 23-05-2016, 05:33   #2004
bcn

Palolo1,

the Draw-Pi at the OpenCPN download page:
PlugIns for OpenCPN 4.2 | Official OpenCPN Homepage

and the manual here:
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/Plugins_external_odraw

The latest thread in the forum regarding the plug-in:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-165456.html

Hubert
Old 23-05-2016, 21:19   #2005

Hello,
I am relaying this request which originates from french SNSM sailors (french sea rescue association): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci%C...uvetage_en_Mer)

They are using ocpn and they receive positions, routes etc in the form of .gpx files. Because most often the sea condition is very rough, it is very difficult for them to import the file in O (windows) or to manually insert the points or even navigate to the file and open it. What they would like is just double-click on a gpx file and Ocpn would load it (and launch if it was not already opened). They tried to declare O as "owner" of gpx file but that does not work, O does not expect to be called like that.

The original request is here, in french: Pratiques et Techniques de la Plaisance

Thanks if you can do something for them,
Philippe.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:52   #2006

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Maitai, is this Tracker item ok? Leave additional comments please.
FS#2083 : GPX easy import with a double click on the file, or right click pick 'Import GPX'

Would right click and pick "Import GPX" work?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:59   #2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Maitai, is this Tracker item ok? Leave additional comments please.
FS#2083 : GPX easy import with a double click on the file, or right click pick 'Import GPX'

Would right click and pick "Import GPX" work?
As I understood they would even prefer to just have to stare at the file to open it in ocpn
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 06:07   #2008
bcn

drag a GPX file on the OCPN canvas to draw it (plus add it to the tracks & routes)...
Old 24-05-2016, 06:33   #2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Hello,
I am relaying this request which originates from french SNSM sailors (french sea rescue association): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci%C...uvetage_en_Mer)

They are using ocpn and they receive positions, routes etc in the form of .gpx files. Because most often the sea condition is very rough, it is very difficult for them to import the file in O (windows) or to manually insert the points or even navigate to the file and open it. What they would like is just double-click on a gpx file and Ocpn would load it (and launch if it was not already opened). They tried to declare O as "owner" of gpx file but that does not work, O does not expect to be called like that.

The original request is here, in french: Pratiques et Techniques de la Plaisance

Thanks if you can do something for them,
Philippe.
opening a gpx file on ocpn startup is easy, it's a couple of lines.

passing a gpx file to an already running ocpn is more work, on window ocpn is a single instance application (if not a portable install) but there's no IPC between instances, not hard to do but more than two lines of code, merely copy and past from wx sample code though.

On the other hand raising the already running instance if a user starts opcn again could be useful and another use for such IPC .
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:09   #2010

Good afternoon. Finally I've been able to upload the video I promised yesterday. The video shows what are we expecting to be developed regarding the sectors in OPENCPN. It is important to understand that the sectors should always remain fixed to ownship's present position.

If anybody can help with that would be great. Thanks again to anybody.

palolo1
Attached Files