Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2024, 09:35   #1

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
OCPN losing charts

Hi,

I'm having an issue with OCPN 5.8.4.0 on Mac OSx (13.6) having to do with charts disappearing.

Specifically, I had a dozen or so Chart Groups set up and each group had 2 or 3 folders assigned to the group. I set this up last Spring and it's been working fine for me until about 2 weeks ago when I opened OCPN and the system would not display any charts - all I saw was the default world chart. Nothing.

The only clue I found was when I changed chart groups - to ANY group - an error message appeared saying the group has no charts, which is contrary to reality, and contrary to what was showing in Settings -> Charts -> Chart Groups (ie. all my chart groups were still appearing in Settings and each group had the proper chart folders assigned to it).

I fiddled for a while and ended up deleting ALL the chart groups, and then uninstall ALL of the chart folders. Then, I added cms93 and my folder of charts for Mexico and it worked fine. For a while. I made 2 groups - "cms93" which contained only the cms93 folder, and "mexico" which contained both the cms93 folder AND my "Mexico" folder. And that worked fine, I was able to switch groups as expected. SO, I then added all the other groups back and everything seemed to be working fine.

Till the next day when I launched OCPN again and everything was gone again. So I repeated the process of deleting all chart groups "Removing" all chart folders, then I re-added just the cms93 chart folder and my Mexico chart folder and I created the first 2 groups again (cms93 and "Mexico"). I selected the Mexico chart group and all was well.

Then a few days later - after successfully using the app several times - I relaunched OCPN and they were all gone again.

I repeated the process again, this time only adding the cms93 and my "Mexico" chart folder and did NOT make any groups. It's been about 10 days and I've used OCPN 3 or 4 times (while at anchor to plot out future routes) and no problems. Today, all is well, but, I want my groups back and I am concerned that if I go through all that again re-adding them I will be back to square 1, so I want to try and figure out why this is happening before I do that.

I already tried to re-install the latest OCPN, I can't remember which version I was running when this happened the first time, but it still happened after I install 5.8.4, which is what I have now.

Grateful for any help with this. Thanks!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 18:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OCPN losing charts

Jordan...
Where is your basic chart folder? In Documents?
We have seen unexplained trouble with this setup, in modern Macs.

We recommend that the base of the chart directories be something like:

/Users/{whatever}/Charts.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 08:48   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

So, my Chart folders are in ~/Documents/Charts - I will try moving them into ~/Charts (~ == /Users/Jordan).

Also, this morning I opened OCPN and again all charts are not rendering, and there were zero chart groups. It was working fine yesterday...

Note also that I have the same Mac mini I've had for 3 years, and all this time charts have never been a problem until a few weeks ago. As far as I can remember, nothing has changed on this machine in a long time (since I updated to OSx 13.6 which was about 6 months ago I think).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Dave, will report back with results!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 07:04   #4

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Added this to MacOS install

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...n_modern_macos
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts