Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2024, 12:12   #1

OpenCPN autopilot manual?

I have searched the forum and read some 6yr old posts but can't seem to find much detail.

I have been reading the following 2021 OpenCPN manual about routes to autopilot:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...e_to_autopilot

Has anyone done this to an ST1000 Raymarine tiller pilot or a Simrad TP10 tillerpilot?

Is it yet possible with OpenCPN to go from waypoint to waypoint fully on autopilot on a route output from OpenCPN?
Pathfinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 13:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: OpenCPN autopilot manual?

Yes, I use routes recorded in OCPN all the time to control my Simrad TP32 autopilot. It works great, particularly on long summertime cruise legs in the Salish Sea when the wind is light to non-existent!

Of course, upon reaching a waypoint, the TP alarms which must be acknowledged (by pressing a button on the TP) in order to proceed to the next waypoint.

I use a PC at the nav station to host OCPN. The PC is connected to an Actisense NGW-1 (ISO) using a serial-to-USB adapter. The NGW translates the NMEA 0183 sentences produced by OCPN (APB, RMB, RMC) into NMEA2000 PGN 129284 (Nav Data) and PGN 129283 (XTE) which are used by the TP32 (currently configured to operate in SimNET/N2K mode).

In the past, the TP was configured in NMEA0183 mode which also works.

After using OCPN and the TP successfully for some years, I installed a Zeus MFD on the network and suddenly OCPN routing failed. I finally figured out that the Zeus implements a Navigation source selection "feature" which defaults the TP to using route data from the Zeus in lieu of any other device on the network (an artifact, I suspect, of some Navico proprietary PGN). To permit OCPN to send routing instructions to the TP, the navigation source selection on the Zeus must be changed to "Gateway (NGW)". OCPN routes work fine after that....
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 14:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
Yes, I use routes recorded in OCPN all the time to control my Simrad TP32 autopilot. It works great, particularly on long summertime cruise legs in the Salish Sea when the wind is light to non-existent!

Of course, upon reaching a waypoint, the TP alarms which must be acknowledged (by pressing a button on the TP) in order to proceed to the next waypoint.

I use a PC at the nav station to host OCPN. The PC is connected to an Actisense NGW-1 (ISO) using a serial-to-USB adapter. The NGW translates the NMEA 0183 sentences produced by OCPN (APB, RMB, RMC) into NMEA2000 PGN 129284 (Nav Data) and PGN 129283 (XTE) which are used by the TP32 (currently configured to operate in SimNET/N2K mode).

In the past, the TP was configured in NMEA0183 mode which also works.

After using OCPN and the TP successfully for some years, I installed a Zeus MFD on the network and suddenly OCPN routing failed. I finally figured out that the Zeus implements a Navigation source selection "feature" which defaults the TP to using route data from the Zeus in lieu of any other device on the network (an artifact, I suspect, of some Navico proprietary PGN). To permit OCPN to send routing instructions to the TP, the navigation source selection on the Zeus must be changed to "Gateway (NGW)". OCPN routes work fine after that....
Thank you for all that detail.
As far as operation goes is it the case you take these steps:

1. draw a route
2. right click route and click activate

would I have to click send to peer and send to gps?

and if the start of the route was say 1nm away does the tiller pilot automatically point you to the first waypoint?
Old 13-01-2024, 17:29   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder2 View Post

1. draw a route

and if the start of the route was say 1nm away does the tiller pilot automatically point you to the first waypoint?
Assuming you are using NMEA0183, all you need to do is activate the route.
Not sure what will happen if you are 1nm away from the first waypoint.

In order for this to work, you need to have the NMEA connection set to send data. By default connections are only set to receive. You filters need to be set to allow the required sentences. Unless there is something unusual, the filtering fields can be left blank.
Old 14-01-2024, 12:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder2 View Post

1. draw a route

Yes, you simply activate a route (either drawn, or retrieved from your route library). OCPN will display the route overlaid on the chart and highlight the waypoint to which it is navigating with a red/yellow blinking overlay. Like Warren, I'm not sure which waypoint may be actvated if you're 1 mile away from the first waypoint in the route. If there is another, closer waypoint, it may activate that waypoint instead.

BTW, you can change the active waypoint by right clicking on another waypoint in the route and selecting "activate".

And as Warren said, you need to have an OCPN Connection (with "output on this port" selected) to send the control messages (APB, etc.) to your autopilot.

The TP32 autopilot has no built-in GPS (although it does have a fluxgate compass inside). Therefore, the "send route to GPS" is inapplicable. I think that the send route function is intended to transfer the entire route data created within OCPN to an independent GPS "plotter/navigator" (such as a Garmin or Zeus) which may then use that route data to control the autopilot. I have not used that function, but there is a brief discussion in the OCPN Manual FAQ ("How to send routes to GPS via USB or via NMEA Serial connection").
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 12:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
Yes, you simply activate a route (either drawn, or retrieved from your route library)

.... I think that the send route function is intended to transfer the entire route data created within OCPN to an independent GPS "plotter/navigator" (such as a Garmin or Zeus) which may then use that route data to control the autopilot. I have not used that function, but there is a brief discussion in the OCPN Manual FAQ ("How to send routes to GPS via USB or via NMEA Serial connection").
That's very helpful thank you. I'm looking forward to giving this a go.
Old 15-01-2024, 16:04   #7

Some months ago I came across Luca Ranzetti's videos from 7 years ago on how he got OpenCPN to run his ST1000 on you tube at & . They are in Italian & I intend to try to work it out soon. I see old style serial plugs & sockets being used, there rather than USB.
The videos have a dialog text which might be helpful.
Maelruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 16:16   #8

Here is another of Luca's videos
Maelruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2024, 04:48   #9

That's helpful thank you, I will watch those.
Old 21-01-2024, 07:28   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

OpenCPN can send appropriate nmea data to an autopilot without need for any plugin.
The manual is a good place to start (as you did).

Sending an active route to an Autopilot

Also, see the Basics Sending an active route to an Autopilot

Also:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ions:autopilot

There are also a number of autopilot plugins useful for various situations and hardware:

See https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ins#autopilots
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 09:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
OpenCPN can send appropriate nmea data to an autopilot without need for any plugin.
The manual is a good place to start (as you did).

Sending an active route to an Autopilot

Also, see the Basics Sending an active route to an Autopilot

Also:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ions:autopilot

There are also a number of autopilot plugins useful for various situations and hardware:

See https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ins#autopilots
That's a handy page with all the plugins layed out, thanks for that. I'll digest those 3 autopilot plugins and have a tinker when the weather improves.

Tags
autopilot, enc, opencpn