Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
New Watchman Plugin

As part of a quick attempt to implement two working plugins in under 4 hours, I give you watchman:

https://github.com/seandepagnier/watchman_pi

Currently it only supports coastline detection.. so to help prevent running up on a beach. The plan is to eventually implement an advanced anchor watch, areas of avoidance, areas to stay inside, and possibly ais and radar stuff. I realize these are already implemented elsewhere, but I plan a lot more options for signaling the alarms, and I think the current anchor watch could improve.

Ideas?

Currently it barely is functional, not really tested. The alarm sound doesn't play (I know will fix soon) but it should be able to detect landfall time, and run an external program on the event.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44   #2

Boat: Najad 34
Re: new watchman plugin

boat_alexandra..
You're a skilled and enthusiastic fellow service us others with great stuffs. I'm not that skilled using C++ but I try to learn. Talking about watchman my aim is to do a watchman telling me it's more than XX, say 15, minutes since last action on a push button. You could call it an egg-timer but the alarm on time out should never expire until I've pushed the button. I'm mostly single handed so I think the purpose is clear. The iniate help I'm asking for is to handle the window, wgwidget, and place the buttons. Pure functional coding may be easier but I need some initial plugin hints. If this could interest and enjoy you I'll be glad. If not I'm still more that satisfied with all your shares. As a start I'll have look at the present watchman.
Thanks/Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03   #3

Good idea.. it can function also as an alarm clock to tell the user to have a look around.

Eventually we will integrate webcams on top of the mast which pan 360 and use image recognition to detect other ships.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11   #4

Yes and soon we can sit at home make remote sailing?? No I agree, this is fun and I will never slip off the base of traditional cruising.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I like the timer idea Hakan. I have never found a timer that 1. I can hear and 2. rings every xx minutes. A slight embellishment: muptiple timers to cover different situations, every hour check bilge, every 10 min check horizon, Change watch every 4 hours etc. And while I'm dreaming, why not voice alarms - "CHECK THE BILGE DUMMY". Embellishment #2- alarms based on NMEA data.

Also how about "out of bounds" and "in bounds markers". Could be used for shoals, anchoring, forbidden areas, legal anchorage areas, foul areas, channels etc . In general these should be a polygon,but I think a line could be useful as well. Also, should be able to save and recall (and share) markers.

Boat_Alexandria, I didn't look at your coastline detection, but more than once I have sailed along a coastline at night and wanted to stay between 1/2 nm off but and not greater than 1 nm off to avoid shallows in one direction and current in the other. It would be tedious to draw an in-bounds polygon for the coast of the DR; but if using the coastline as a boundry you would get alarms as you passed large bays. So, assuming the alarm showed up on the chart (like AIS) I could easily ignore it. I think something like this would be useful.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10   #6

Also single-handing a lot.

A timer based on OpenCPN activity, which is called a dead-man alarm on commercial ships, would be a great idea.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:50   #7

ok, added dead man alarm
Old 01-05-2013, 23:59   #8

Hi, please help a pupil:

I intend to build for win32 and git-fetched the watchman_pi to my "plugins" dir below opencpn where the other plugins are. Cmake didn't succeed.

After: cmake ..
Code:
--
-- *** Staging to build PlugIns ***
--
-- *** Staging to build dashboard_pi ***
-- *** Staging to build grib_pi ***
-- *** Building watchman_pi ***
CMake Error at plugins/watchman_pi/CMakeLists.txt:93 (INCLUDE):
  include could not find load file:

../PluginLocalization.cmake

CMake Error at plugins/watchman_pi/CMakeLists.txt:94 (PLUGIN_LOCALIZATION):
  Unknown CMake command "PLUGIN_LOCALIZATION".

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
The CMakelist.txt says:
Code:
IF(WIN32)
INSTALL(TARGETS ${PACKAGE_NAME} RUNTIME DESTINATION "plugins")
ENDIF(WIN32)

INCLUDE("../PluginLocalization.cmake")
PLUGIN_LOCALIZATION()
Any hints?
Thanks Håkan
Old 02-05-2013, 00:59   #9

you need to pull the main opencpn repository

I'm sure you will have more errors once you do that.. so just keep them coming...
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15   #10

Sean..
Ok many thanks. I'll try. Never done but I'll read up.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36   #11

Hi.
Is it possible to make some sort of feature that could send an email?
I’moften leaving the boat to go kayaking or hiking when anchoring, and it would be nice if opencpn could email me if predefined alarm states occurs. For example, anchor alarm is activated, an low depth alarm, wind alarm,etc
This email could maybe include depth,wind and a screnschoot of the map?

There would also be nice if this info could be send by predefined time intervals also, and not depend on alarm states.

regards
stedy
stedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedy View Post
Hi.
Is it possible to make some sort of feature that could send an email?
I’moften leaving the boat to go kayaking or hiking when anchoring, and it would be nice if opencpn could email me if predefined alarm states occurs. For example, anchor alarm is activated, an low depth alarm, wind alarm,etc
This email could maybe include depth,wind and a screnschoot of the map?

There would also be nice if this info could be send by predefined time intervals also, and not depend on alarm states.

regards
stedy
Yes good idea. Currently you can execute a command, so sending an email is already possible. You could build screenshot into the script.

As far as wind alarm.. interesting concept.. should be possible, but I do not have a wind speed sensor wired in to be able to test or implement this.

For depth.. do you mean with a depth sounder? I also do not have a depth sounder which can do this, but it should also be possible.

Another way is by using vector chart depth based on gps location. This should be pretty easy and I plan to eventually implement. The normal anchor alarm with just a radius probably makes more sense for most cases.

Another good one would be bilge level alarm.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

As far as wind alarm.. interesting concept.. should be possible, but I do not have a wind speed sensor wired in to be able to test or implement this.

For depth.. do you mean with a depth sounder? I also do not have a depth sounder which can do this, but it should also be possible.

Another good one would be bilge level alarm.
Yes nmea data for depth sounder and wind instrumentation. In my boat this data is NMEA and provided to Opencpn.

Data from the depth sounder could be quite useful when anchored and the bow is tide up to shore/rocks. The tide difference is up to 1,5 meter here.

Could it help if I send you Nmea data from the Voyage Data Recorder?
stedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42   #14

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

Perhaps this could be combined with my ideas from post;

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1161795

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27   #15

Well... didn't succeed to fetch or pull the plugin. I've to learn more. Since I could have use for it tomorrow I would appreciate if someone meanwhile could serve me a Win32 build of this plugin?
Thanks/Håkan