Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 22:03   #1366

Boat: 29'
Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
thank you and jackdale for trying to help. i know for that.
i thought to have it in option settings, to be permanently on the chart (if i wish). same going to mesure(range)/bearing line that i can move it around if i wont. something like this.

for me it is more important for REAL chart plotter software to have this future then wasteing time and resources developing something for suse, use penise rozeberry strowbwrryes blackberiess that will probably use 0.000001% people.

software "with no frils", how they say in UK, something simple but effective.
in the meantime, Do this: using the waypoints' properties dialogues.Enter the info, and click the box that says "show name"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard3.png
Views:	144
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	54613

easy....
or, create a mark and put the route info in its name. This mark can be dragged around to a convenient place
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:51   #1367

max
I read your post with great interrest. We also go out on sea to analyze seawater and sediment. We also use a software, which collects data when the research vessel stops and we collect our samples.
It would be great, if we could add a feature you suggested. It would help us to optimize the daily work on board.
Do anyone has an idea to add this feature?
Saphirina
Saphirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 13:10   #1368

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
DEGREE DISPLAY FORMAT in 3 DIGITS.

Dear bdbcat,first of all thank you for the enhancement of the heading display in the Dashboard, it is really working now!

for making opencpn look like a more professional navigatior concern i would kindly ask you do more little change on the heading bearing and course over ground etc.display:
in the below picture you can see that the heading shows 77°,but in navigation field the heading and bearing should be displayed in 3 digits,that is should be 077°,though the 77 and 077 is the same degree. just in the picture you can see the longitude is showing in 025 31.298E, it is the same with 25 31.298E, but the 3 digits longitude display is looking more professional .
the heading bearing COG etc. and all the others figure Involves in degree should be displayed in 3 digits, even 0° should be displayed as 000°.
My english is not good, hope you can understand what i want to express.
thank you and all the best to you !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	??1?.png
Views:	162
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	54767  
xiurong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 18:29   #1369
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"should" is in this case a highly subjective concept. Among other things, I was taught that latitude should never be displayed or noted with a lead zero, since latitude can never exceed 90 degrees, and using two digits for latitude but reserving three for longitude, also gives you a redundancy check that tells you which number is lat and which is long.

And if you follow ISO standards, all positions should and shall be written in degrees and decimal degrees (DD.ddddd) only. Minutes and decimal minutes are "never" used for real navigation, minutes and seconds are. And navigators reject the engineers and ISO by still using degrees, minutes and seconds.

So much for "should" in the larger context of how things are done: Tradition.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 18:58   #1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"should" is in this case a highly subjective concept. Among other things, I was taught that latitude should never be displayed or noted with a lead zero, since latitude can never exceed 90 degrees, and using two digits for latitude but reserving three for longitude, also gives you a redundancy check that tells you which number is lat and which is long.

And if you follow ISO standards, all positions should and shall be written in degrees and decimal degrees (DD.ddddd) only. Minutes and decimal minutes are "never" used for real navigation, minutes and seconds are. And navigators reject the engineers and ISO by still using degrees, minutes and seconds.

So much for "should" in the larger context of how things are done: Tradition.
HS -agreed

It is bearings that should be shown in 3 digits. Not longitude or latitude, both should dd/mm/decimal minutes.

BTW - time is 4 digits 24 hour clock. No punctuation

Speed - in sailing generally 2 digits, including decimals.

In labeling, the number with the most digits is on the top of the line.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 03:41   #1371

Boat: Sigma 38

Remote MOB?
New ISAF/RORC regulations require the ability to trigger an MOB remotely [from the helm position].
Man Overboard Alarm
A yacht shall be equipped with an EPFS (e.g., GPS) capable of immediately recording a man overboard position from each helm station (From January 2012)

Is it possible to set up a remote trigger function for MoB? The idea would be to have a simple switch attached to a USB or serial port.
OpenCPN would respond to the trigger by recording an MoB event.
FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 05:58   #1372

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashG View Post
Remote MOB?
New ISAF/RORC regulations require the ability to trigger an MOB remotely [from the helm position].
Man Overboard Alarm
A yacht shall be equipped with an EPFS (e.g., GPS) capable of immediately recording a man overboard position from each helm station (From January 2012)

Is it possible to set up a remote trigger function for MoB? The idea would be to have a simple switch attached to a USB or serial port.
OpenCPN would respond to the trigger by recording an MoB event.
I use VNC Viewer and Server on my systems. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 in the cockpit in a gallon size ziplock bag. I can control my laptop from there. Also a wireless keyboard with touchpad from LOGITECH works from my cockpit, but I have a 24" HDTV screen that I can see from teh cockpit when the weather is nicer.
I also have a cheaper, older Itronix GOBOOK I can use in teh cockpit, but haven't tried VNC on it yet to control the ship's computer system.
There are a few options for you there.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 10:37   #1373

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

I find OpenCPN a very useful tool, and I have been using it for the past season.

I would like to outline a plugin that I will find very useful. Unfortunately I can´t program at a level which is necessary in order to contribute to the development.
Weather and the development in the weather situation during a passage is very important.

Qtvlm is an important tool for forecasting, and I believe monitoring the actual weather situation can improve the evaluation of the data.

A plugin that gives a chart as shown below is an example of what I mean. I have seen that the dashboard plugin have what I mean but only for wind.

It should be possible to choose which NMEA sentence to monitor, and which one to setup an alarm for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Weatherplugin.gif
Views:	167
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	55119  
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 07:25   #1374

Request: Enhance planning for tidal currents

I've used OpenCPN for two years, and am constantly impressed with the improvements that you are making. Thanks!

One additional improvement that I would like to see relates to the tide and (especially) current predictions. Right now, in order to see predictions for a future or past date, you need to click the Next or Prev button multiple times. For instance, if I am planning a trip for two months from now, I need to click Next 60 times, and if I exit the window to view the chart it loses the date and I need do the same thing again. It would be nice to have a pull-down calendar that enables me to select a future/past date with a couple of mouse clicks. It would be even nicer if I could make this date (and time) semi-permanent, so I could exit the window and view the charts with the current vectors reflecting the selected date and time that I am planning.

I am aware that you can set a departure date for a route and it will list the nearby tidal events at that date and time, but I care more about tidal current than I do tide level, and as you know slack often lags high/low tide by a significant amount. So it would be also helpful to extend this capability to show nearby current events also.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:39   #1375

Boat: Allegro 33

How about implementing the "VLW Distance Traveled through Water" display into the Dashboard. I.e. Total cumulative distance and distance from reset.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00   #1376

OPENCPN & WINDOWS

I use OCPN with Windows software and would appreciate an intelligent answer to the following question, this may also apply to the UBUNTU and MAC operating systems.

WHY IS IT NECESSARY OR REQUIRED FOR OPCN TO INSTALL SOME OF ITS FILES IN DIFFERENT SECTIONS OF THE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM ??????

I ask this because if we ever want to get a truly portable version of the program then the first step would be to remove the need to place some of its operating files into other sections of the Windows Program – i.e. Registry, Documents & Settings etc

There are a large number of software programs that can be installed under Windows and UBUNTU which come as a self contained package which is simply copied to a single directory and can be run solely and directly from the computer hard drive or from a removable storage device i.e. USB stick or SSDrive.

For example ZYGRIB and FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER are but two of a large number of similar Open Source programs.

I would recommend that as the Developers take a long deserved rest before embarking on the development of the 3.3 beta versions that they SERIOUSLY consider a basic re–design that enables OPCN to be completely portable as a first priority.
dougwm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11   #1377
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"WHY IS IT NECESSARY OR REQUIRED FOR OPCN TO INSTALL SOME OF ITS FILES IN DIFFERENT SECTIONS OF THE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM ?????? "

I'll hazard a guess, Doug.

Because all modern versions of Windows require "programs go here, data goes there, this stuff goes in the Registry, that stuff doesn't" and the old "stuff it all anywhere you want anyway you want" approach still works, but it also tends to create an unstable system.

A "windows compliant" application that follows all the rules and puts the pieces where they are ordained to go, can be managed to share memory. To swap out space, to run for some users and not others, to be uninstalled or repaired by the Programs feature in the Control Panel...there's a long list of ways to break Windows by just dumping all of an app wherever you want, in violation of the standards.

Can it be done? Sure. It is generally called "bad programming" because of the problems it can cause. I don't know if that would apply here but I would suspect so. Making apps "compliant" with the OS tends to prevent all sorts of unanticipated problems down the line. Memory management, file corruption, crashes, backup failures...that's just a start.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20   #1378

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwm10 View Post
OPENCPN & WINDOWS

I ask this because if we ever want to get a truly portable version of the program then the first step would be to remove the need to place some of its operating files into other sections of the Windows Program – i.e. Registry, Documents & Settings etc
dougwm10...
I don't know if I right understand what you are looking for but have you read about how to make a portable version of OCPN? You may want to test it. See Portable OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage or your program built in help/wiki for more information.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41   #1379

3.2 looks great!

One point: the "export all" feature for waypoints begs for a cancel button. When I realized that it would take 8 minutes to load what I thought were a handful of waypoints there was no way to stop it.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 18:29   #1380
Marine Service Provider

dougwm10...

re:
"I use OCPN with Windows software and would appreciate an intelligent answer to the following question, this may also apply to the UBUNTU and MAC operating systems.
"WHY IS IT NECESSARY OR REQUIRED FOR OPCN TO INSTALL SOME OF ITS FILES IN DIFFERENT SECTIONS OF THE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM ?????? "
"

I wrote OpenCPN and I would appreciate a direct answer to the following:

"What is it about the OCPN Windows installer that makes you so persistently ask this question?
What, in exact technical detail, is the trouble with the current installer, please?
Sermons about Microsoft licensing policies are not acceptable. They are what they are.
Have you actually tried to make a stick portable version of current OCPN release? People do it all the time....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote