I'm back from racing
in PacCup and we used both OpenCPN
and Expedition. One feature I'd like to see in O is "fleet tracking mode": see tracks of boats in the fleet. Updates would come either manually (i.e. typed in) or from some server. YB Tracking (which was used in our race) has some simple CSV download URLs that provide boat
id, position, and timestamp (and another download that maps boat
ids to boat names). Other tracking systems have similar offerings. All of this should be fairly easy to parse.
Minimal idea is to simply use the existing track infrastructure. Enhancement ideas are:
- ability to show/hide tracks from all boats in fleet / division (grouping or layering?)
- ability to create groups / divisions
- show boat names
when highlighting track
- playback historic data (see boats moving on chart)
- synchronize boats on time (i.e. show all boats on the same timestamp instead of simply last reported position)
- merge in AIS
data if available (would require MMSI in fleet setup)
- show fleet / boat stats (e.g. last 24h distance, distance to finish)
Really fancy stuff would be to support calculating optimal route
/ arrival time for boats in fleet, though that would require way more information (for starters polars for every boat, or extrapolation from historic data).
Does this sound interesting? Is anyone already working on something like this?
Today is my last vacation
day, so don't expect much progress on this over the next few weeks from me.