Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2023, 08:35   #1

Boat: Cape Islander - tour boat
Question Looking for cheap Arduino Rudder Angle sensor

Hello All,
I am looking for a relatively cheap (<$50) rudder angle sensor. I would prefer not one of those 0-190 ohm Aliexpress ones. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002118775085.html

This one looked better: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825256935.html

Non-resistance based would be even better but may not be in my price point.

I don't need the gauge because it is being fed into an Arduino to create a NMEA sentence to send to OpenCPN.
ian5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:47   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Looking for cheap Arduino Rudder Angle sensor

Why not make one? Why don't you want a resistance type.

It is just a potentiometer (variable resistor) with an arm attached. Put a voltage across the potentiometer and read the voltage at the brush. The Arduino can read the voltage which will be proportional to the arm position.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 13:35   #3

Boat: Cape Islander - tour boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Why not make one? Why don't you want a resistance type.

It is just a potentiometer (variable resistor) with an arm attached. Put a voltage across the potentiometer and read the voltage at the brush. The Arduino can read the voltage which will be proportional to the arm position.

First off, it must be waterproof. My steering compartment is almost always wet.

So far the voltage ones that I have seen do not have enough of a range for my liking, ex: 1-190 ohm is not very much range. If I was going to build one with a pot, I would use a 10k pot. I know simrad uses frequency feedback, ex: RF300 unit.
ian5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 15:14   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian5142 View Post
First off, it must be waterproof. My steering compartment is almost always wet.

So far the voltage ones that I have seen do not have enough of a range for my liking, ex: 1-190 ohm is not very much range. If I was going to build one with a pot, I would use a 10k pot. I know simrad uses frequency feedback, ex: RF300 unit.
If you connect the pot as a voltage divider, the value doesn't matter. A 200ohm pot will work the same as a 10k pot. But the 10K pot would be more susceptible to noise, example interference from an SSB.

I think you are asking for something that doesn't exist, unless you build it. Rudder Sensors are simple and expensive. The expense I think comes from durability, both being waterproof, and able to survive several million cycles. Most pots will fall apart with that much use. You are asking for a cheap one, that is more sophisticated than what is currently available.
Old 09-11-2023, 15:27   #5

Boat: Northwest 21 & Islander 36 (too many boats problem)

FWIW, I have one of the cheap ones you linked installed in my laz to support my ESP32 autopilot. I don't have the same water ingress problem, but I wonder if you could build a better housing to combat that problem. You also got me thinking about the "build your own" route. Could you rig something up with hall effect sensors to create an angle indicator?

Also, I recall the ESP32 has a hall effect sensor built into it. Could you build some kind of rig for the ESP32 itself to have it report its position relative to a magnet? (https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp3...effect-sensor/)

Otherwise, it looks like you have to spend around $200 for a proper rotary hall effect sensor like the commercial units have. By that point, you could burn through 10 of the cheapos.

(Note: the photo is not the final installation, but close enough for illustration purposes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230415_022031018.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	283231  
Old 09-11-2023, 15:33   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

The do have magnetic encoders which operate similarly to a pot but without the moving parts. But it isn't a direct replacement and requires circuitry to drive it. So it becomes more sophisticated and expensive.

I recently printed this but didn't assemble it yet. I expect whatever pot I use will need occasional replacement. Grease is supposed to keep it waterproof.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4767032
Old 10-11-2023, 07:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

If you need super precision, and don't want a POT, try this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TTJTWLJ...roduct_details

I used one to build a wind direction indicator, interfaced to Arduino. Nice.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:14   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Use a rotary encoder. Some types are only used relative rotational change and direction, i.e. need to be "calibrated" to a known positition each time and can't recover from a "skip". Some are absolute position. A quick search turned up this one that looks like it fits the bill.. and with digital communications rather than analog voltage level so less susceptable to noise (to a point!): https://briterencoder.com/product/ip...olute-encoder/
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, rudder, sensor