Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2023, 09:19   #1

Output all NMEA data to network

Hi,
I notice reading the documentation that OpenCpn Core program recognises a limited subset of of NMEA sentences. The Dashboard recognises many more including all the wind data and depth data.
When I output NMEA data to a UDP network connection it appears that only the Core NMEA sentences are sent and not the ones displayed in the Dashboard.

My question is can OpenCpn multiplex all NEMA sentences that are input to it and then send all of them out on a UDP network connection?
Regards,
Jodel
Jodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:59   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Output all NMEA data to network

Example? Where is the NMEA0183 data coming from?
To answer your question, yes, OCPN will mux all NEMA data coming from various inputs and output them on another connection, provided you are not applying filters to the contrary.
OpenCPN will not, AFAIK, convert SignalK or NMEA2000 to NMEA0183.
Old 07-11-2023, 13:45   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodel View Post
The Dashboard recognises many more including all the wind data and depth data.
All NMEA data to Dashboard comes from input to core OCPN.

As said above: All received NMEA0183 can be sent out to another connection, e.g. network.
But, take care. Don't set the output UDP connection to also receive input data. You'll make a endless feedback and choke the system.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 14:05   #4

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. My NMEA data is coming from an old set of Stowe instruments that interface with what is called a Stowe Databox. This outputs all its NMEA 0183 data to a NMEA /USB converter that is plugged into a Raspberry Pi This data includes apparent wind, wind speed, log and water temperature.
OCPN displays all this data in the Dashboard. I also have the GPS data coming from a USB gps puck. The only exception, I am using a SDR radio as an AIS receiver that is the only data coming from SignalK to OCPN (as Signalk connection).

I am trying to set up a tablet on the wifi network on the boat to display all of the NMEA data that OCPN has. I have a UDP connection set up and some, but not all the NMEA is being displayed on the tablet. The connection in OCPN is set up to output only, with both in and out filter boxes empty.

I have been looking at the NMEA debug window and a lot of the lines are red. I can't be sure if it is the dark red or the bright red.
As I am also outputting filtered NMEA data on another USB/ NMEA converter to a NASA cockpit repeater, there are lots of filtered and dropped NMEA sentences on that serial output.(which is OK). I will try and capture a screen grab of the UDP connection and post it.

Jodel
Old 07-11-2023, 14:07   #5

Thanks Haken,
I will check all my connections to see if there are any loops.
Jodel
Old 07-11-2023, 15:19   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

OpenCPN doesn't automatically output everything. I think that to add to the basic output data set, you have to define the NMEA sentences that you want in the OpenCPN connections tab using the standard mnemonics.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 18:46   #7

Probably much more common to run everything through signalk first then just an nmea 0183 & signalk connection in opencpn to signalk.
SignalK can then send data out as udp, it outputs all incoming nmea0183 as tcp to localhost:10110 by fault
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:19   #8

I checked on the boat today and OpnCpn behaves exactly as you have said. Any NMEA sentence that is input to it (in addition to the core ones it uses) are all output on a network connection IF they are added to the output filter box.
That is very useful as it effectively is muxing all the NMEA 0183 available to it.
Problem solved.
Thanks for all the help
Jodel

Tags
network, nmea, work