Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 05:35   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Re: Logbook Plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Good ideas, except that I think logbook entries should be UTC. An option to convert and display to local would be nice, though.

I suppose that would be OK. I just know at 5am in the morning, when I need to look over the logbook for something, having to convert from UTC to the time on all my shipboard clocks is bound to cause errors and confusion for me and crew.

My feeling is things should be as simple as possible, and local time, in my opinion, if much simpler to deal with for things like a ship's log that will be entered and read in tired states at times.

That being said, if its easier to store values as UTC and display as local time, that is fine also. However, when I move from one timezone to another, I would want the log from timezone X to reflect the local times at that timezone, not be converted to timezone Y that I am now in and have changed my computer's clock to. However now you have to deal with what happens when the time zone changes during a voyage. People work in local times from my experience, and having to convert to and from UTC is a confusing step for people working in a hurry. Trying to explain the time to a foreign speaking authority will also cause difficulties.

Just my .02.
Old 28-09-2011, 09:13   #92

Hello Gilletarom,

You are right. I've opened a new thread:
Logbook Konni for OpenCPN
konni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13   #93

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)

Following a recent discussion on i18n thread, I figured I never uploaded dll for the latest version of this plugin.

You can download v0.3 here:
http://je.onfray.fr/dl/logbook_pi.dll

I also pushed a small change to make it build on Windows.

Enjoy!
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41   #94

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello sethdart,

I try your LogBook with the french file language. No problem with the file language.

BUT :

The first I run the logbook, I run it without write the name of destination file in the preferences. And the logbook as run without said nothing ...

The second test, I enter a name of file, then it run correctly

More tests after, I run the logbook, after I place a name of file destination, I named myself the file with xml extension. Bad idea because when I try to change for cvs by checked the checkbox ... then nothing occur. And after many tests then OCPN crash.

Other : When I run your LogBook, if I try to stop it by click on the icon on the icons barr, the icon stay as if the Logbook do not stop.

B.R.

Gilletarom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-08_Preferences_Logbook_N1_Extension_du_fichier.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	52495  
Gilletarom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 15:02   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
The first I run the logbook, I run it without write the name of destination file in the preferences. And the logbook as run without said nothing ...
If you don't provide a filename, nothing is done. Logging only starts when a filename is set. What did you expect? No, it'll not annoy you with a popup every minute until you set a filename. No way.

Quote:
More tests after, I run the logbook, after I place a name of file destination, I named myself the file with xml extension. Bad idea because when I try to change for cvs by checked the checkbox ... then nothing occur. And after many tests then OCPN crash.
I cannot reproduce that here. The filename is just a name, you can name it .doc, no matter. It'll save data in selected format in selected filename. If you change format from csv to xml or vice-versa without changing filename you'll end with a file with mixed data. That's what you asked the plugin to do. Doh!

Quote:
Other : When I run your LogBook, if I try to stop it by click on the icon on the icons barr, the icon stay as if the Logbook do not stop.
Please read post #5. You can only start stop this plugin enabling/disabling it. The button was added in this version to enable user comment: when you click the button, a dialog opens and you can add any comment to the next record (or check the box to save a record immediately)
Old 10-01-2013, 05:41   #96

Hi SethDart,

I would like to install your logbook plugin, but I don't succeed. I have Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits and O 3.1.13.9.
Here is what I have done :
I have added "add_subdirectory (logbook_pi)" to /home/jp/OpenCPN/plugins/CMakeLists.txt.
As I don't know where to place it I have try in different places, then I open a terminal and :
Code:
cd OpenCPN
git pull
cd build
cmake ../
And I always get this error :
Code:
jp@jp-N73SV:~/OpenCPN/build$ cmake ../
-- *** Build Architecture is amd64
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 3.1.1309 ***
-- Found OpenGL...
--     Lib: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libICE.so/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so
--     Include: /usr/include
-- Found wxWidgets...
-- -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu;-pthread;-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions;-Wl,-z,relro;;-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu;;;-lwx_baseu-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_core-2.8;-lwx_baseu_net-2.8;-lwx_baseu_xml-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_html-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8;-lwx_gtk2u_gl-2.8
-- 
-- *** Staging to build opencpn  ***
-- *** Will install to /usr/local  ***
-- Found GTK2
-- Portaudio Not Found...
-- Building with tinyxml includes
-- S57 ENC support: enabled
-- Garmin Host Mode support: enabled
-- 
CMake Error at plugins/CMakeLists.txt:21 (add_subdirectory):
  add_subdirectory given source "logbook_pi" which is not an existing
  directory.

-- *** Staging to build PlugIns ***
-- *** Staging to build grib_pi ***
-- 
-- *** Staging to build dashboard_pi ***
-- Writing spec file...
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
What is the problem ? I need some help please.
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50   #97

Code:
add_subdirectory (logbook_pi)
is not required any more.

Here's the receipe, very easy:
Code:
cd plugins
git clone http://github.com/SethDart/logbook_pi.git
cd ../build
cmake ../
make
Old 10-01-2013, 06:06   #98

Hi SethDart,

Thanks a lot for your help. I have build it without any error.
I cannot try it now, some work, but I will tell you later.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47   #99

Hi SethDart,

I have try it, I was static, but it should work the same while sailing. Exactly what I was looking for since a lot of time.

Simple, you can forget it, but it is running. And I like the possibility to add some comments which is very useful.

Thanks for this plugin. it took me a long time to find it while under my eyes since the beginning ...
Old 15-05-2022, 01:04   #100

Hello all,
Can anybody tell me what NMEA sentence is used by Logbook v1.4006 for the engine hours. My NMEA interface sends $YDXDR but for some reason, the value does not show up in the logbook.
Thanks / Michel.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 10:51   #101

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Those values must be entered manually!
I don't know how or why we have lost the Help link in preferences,
but it is still available manually through your browser. Find the Help.html
in (for windows)
Quote:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\opencpn\plugins\Logb ookKonni_pi\data

From the Help pages

Column Engine #1
Column Engine #2
Column Generator
Column Watermaker It is possible to manually input the engine hours:

The operating time is added to the total.
The following formats are supported (Example 1 hour 30 minutes):
  • 1:30
You have two more alternatives for the engines and generator:
  1. When the engine/generator is started by the engine/generator button on the Engine/Sails layout, the engine/generator hours are automatically calculated and displayed whenever a line is added to the logbook. The calculated time is the time between the displayed line and the previous one. Then the calculated hours are added to the total engine hours .
  2. If you own a device which sends NMEA-data (ERRPM) for some or all engines, the moment the ERRPM message is detected the engine hours will start to be calculated and handled as in step 1.
Column Engine #1 total
Column Engine #2 total
Column Generator total
Column Watermaker total The total operating hours are automatically generated from the appropriate engine hours.

It is possibe to manually overwrite the total engine hours.

Hours/Minutes total
The following formats are supported (Example 1 hour 30 minutes):
  • 1:30
Watch out ! The input-format has changed against the column before
because some devices show the amount of minutes as decimal fractions !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Hello all,
Can anybody tell me what NMEA sentence is used by Logbook v1.4006 for the engine hours. My NMEA interface sends $YDXDR but for some reason, the value does not show up in the logbook.
Thanks / Michel.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 13:36   #102

Thank you rgleason,
I was expecting that my interface-generated sentence ($YDXDR,G,1831.40,,EngineHours#0*5B<0x0D><0x0A>) would be read directly. If ERRPM is the only way to feed the logbook automatically, I guess that I have to dig into other plugins like Twocan, right ?
Old 18-05-2022, 14:48   #103

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

LogbookKonni is a old and venerable plugin, which has been improved and expanded to meet sailors needs. Opencpn Dashboard did not support engine information, nor did Logbook, originally. It is opensource code so you can expand it to record engine hours too. Many others have done so with things like Barometer, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Thank you rgleason,
I was expecting that my interface-generated sentence ($YDXDR,G,1831.40,,EngineHours#0*5B<0x0D><0x0A>) would be read directly. If ERRPM is the only way to feed the logbook automatically, I guess that I have to dig into other plugins like Twocan, right ?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 23:27   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
LogbookKonni is a old and venerable plugin, which has been improved and expanded to meet sailors needs. Opencpn Dashboard did not support engine information, nor did Logbook, originally. It is opensource code so you can expand it to record engine hours too. Many others have done so with things like Barometer, etc
I got that, thank you !
Old 19-05-2022, 00:22   #105

If the user requesting the addition of engine hours to the logbook plugin is also using the Engine Dashboard, I wonder whether it might be feasible for the Engine Dashboard to generate a "LOGBOOK_LOG_ADDLINE_REQUEST" plugin message containing the engine hours, which I assume the Logbook would then append to to its logfile?

The Engine Dashboard does parse the XDR Engine Hours sentence that the OP provided: $YDXDR,G,1831.40,,EngineHours#0*5B

I've no idea whether these messages need to be published periodically, or at shutdown, and if at shutdown, how one plugin can know whether another plugin is still running, or in what order plugins are closed.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote