Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-07-2015, 12:37   #11

Re: Live AIS Via Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
...I would much rather have data where the position part of the data is wrong, 1 out of 10 times vs one that is wrong 1 out of 100 times...
That is just wacky. And wrong.

You seem to build your argument entirely on an assumption that all vessels are reporting every 30 seconds. That's just the class B guys. Class A typically reports every 2 seconds or so. Much better and accurate. And it's the Class A guys that I really care about, because they are often stand-on. Since I am usually under sail, the class B guys are usually give-way. There are always exceptions, but as a general rule if a class B vessel is approaching me at 30 knots in close range, I pretty much have to stand on, because even with my motor assisting me, I'm not going to be able to get out of his way. And he can turn on a second's notice, so my best bet is to show my intentions and stick with it.

The big commercial vessels who are going 10-15 knots and unable to turn are the ones that I need to plan ahead to avoid, and fortunately those are the ones transmitting every 2 seconds. In fact, that is exactly why they are required to transmit every 2 seconds. Or in your words, they are transmitting second-by-second data.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, internet