Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 12:22   #16

Re: Installing on Debian 9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerubbabel View Post
No, it is looking for poly-l-1.dat, but the files in that folder are:

poly-c-1.dat
poly-f-1.dat
poly-h-1.dat
wdb_borders_c.b
wdb_borders_f.b
wdb_borders_h.b
wdb_rivers_c.b
wdb_rivers_f.b
wdb_rivers_h.b

So I was asking where else I can look for the missing file(s).
The nine files listed above have the correct names. The three with the ".dat" extension make up the low resolution base map, and the six with the ".b" extension make up the high resolution base map.

The problem is that CMake (cmake_install.cmake) is looking for "poly-l-1.dat" which does not exist in the OpenCPN source files. This may be a typo in the code that sets up cmake_install.cmake when the "FULL" background map is specified.

I always use the low resolution background map in my builds of OpenCPN for Windows.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 22:47   #17

Boat: Ohlson 29

you need to put the files in /usr/share/opencpn/gshhs.

jan
janth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 00:09   #18

Yes, that worked. Thanks again!
zerubbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 20:17   #19

I am trying to install the tactics plugin for OpenCPN, I already have OpenCPN running on a Raspberry Pi3 (I used OpenPlotter). I need the widgets libraries (such as libwxgtk3), but when I get to that point in your install list I get an unable to locate package response.

What repositories do you have listed in your apt/sources.list file?

thanks,
Ron
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 04:09   #20

Hi Ron,

if you look in the list of packages I recommended, there are instructions on replacing libwxgtk3 with libwxgtk3.0-0v5. But installing this library using the apt-get is not enough, you also
have to change the references in the makefile or cmake files to make it work.

I have not built the plugin you mention, but I will have a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

Jan
Old 13-09-2017, 04:22   #21

Hi Ron,

just compiled the plugin on Debian 9.1 on an Intel i5 CPU without any special modifications along the "v5" change used for OpenCPN. Maybe the RPi is different. Are you using latest Raspbian version ?

I have an RPi 3 with latest Raspbian and I will probably try to compile it there and let you know what I find.

Jan
Old 13-09-2017, 04:56   #22

I did not make the changes you did, I just installed the older versions (not the v5 for example, because that was what it could find) and I was then able to build and install the tactics plugin on the Rpi. I had to move the libtactics_pi.so file to the correct directory to get OpenCPN to recognize that it was available. When I did that I was able to enable it and run it in OpenCPN. I am not sure if what I did is the correct procedure but it seems to have worked. To get a second confirmation and be able to explain the process (as you have here) would be great. Thanks for your very helpful post.

Ron
Old 13-09-2017, 05:25   #23

Hi Ron

apparently the v5 hack is not needed on Raspbian 9.1, only on Intel CPU.

I just compiled OpenCPN on RPi without the v5 hack and cmake finds all libraries without this change.

The problem you had with moving the plugin is probably because your base directory for OpenCPN is /usr whereas the base directory for the tactics plugin is /usr/local during package creation step. This can be fixed in CMakeCacehe.txt created by cmake, as explained in my previous post.

Jan
Old 13-09-2017, 05:27   #24

What is puzzling to me is that I already had OpenCPN running on the Rpi (albeit by loading OpenPlotter as the Op Sys) so why weren't these dependencies already met?

Ron
Old 13-09-2017, 05:38   #25

The dependencies on base directory is a compile time choice and the most likely explanation is that the default base directories were different for the two installs. The current git repository for OpenCPN end up using /usr/local as base directory on Debian 9.1. You should be able to find this out by looking at the CMakeCache.txt file after cmake has been run, and you can modify it there.

Jan
Old 15-09-2017, 05:04   #26

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
What should we have for Debian Installations?

Recent Docker build of Debian
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/888

Is this a worthwhile reference for Debian Installations?

We have Ubunto, Fedora, Linux... installation...

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...n_installation

CaptnRon and Janth have been working on Debian Installation for RPI it appears.

Is there need of a new page for Debian I wonder?
It needs to maintained by someone too...

Also we have an RPI install page
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...spberrypi_rpi2
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:34   #27

Actually everything I have been doing is either Linux or Raspian (Jessie) on the RaspberryPi 3. I have two different configurations; the most recent is using OpenPlotter which installs OpenCPN, SignalK, etc when you build the system. It is this configuration that I have recently built and added the tactics plugin to OpenCPN. For this configuration:
uname -a
Linux 4.9.35-v7+ Gnu/Linux

I have a second configuration where I installed NOOBS on the Rpi SD card (just the operating system which is Raspian (Jessie) with Pixel). I then installed OpenCPN from the ppa for OpenCPN on Rpi3. I have not added the tactics plugin to that configuration yet.

The OpenPlotter configuration is useful because it sets up a WiFi access point for my instruments to send data to. The second configuration is because I initially had difficulty with the first configuration! There are multiple platforms and ways to implement the software that just keeping track of what I am doing is a chore.

I am by no means a software person (experimental physicist), but I know just enough to get in trouble and then work my way out it. But I have been retired for years now and I am in my 70's, so I don't know how much longer I can keep all this straight (which is my way of saying that yes we need good documentation if you expect non hobbyist to use all this, but I don't think I am the person for the job). I am glad to share my experiences and successes when I have them.

thanks,
Ron
Old 16-09-2017, 02:27   #28

CaptnRon

I understand. We help each other here. Otherwise things would slowly grind to a hault.

How does this writeup look to you? Did you use it or not?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...spberrypi_rpi2

Same with this one for openplotter? I believe this is better maintained.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ated_marine_os

Also I will add you tactics plugin install description to the dev section and write a tracker item and github issue for the wayward svg files.

Thankyou.
Old 17-09-2017, 17:05   #29

I did use the instructions here
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manual:getting_st artedpencpn_installation:raspberrypi_rpi2

to install OpenCPN on a clean version of Raspian from NOOBS. As I mentioned I have two configurations; one using OpenPlotter and this one starting from NOOBS.

This installation worked fine except the sudo apt-get install opencpn* did not work. I installed the plugins individually, but I only installed dashboard, chart downloader, watchdog, and Grib. I will try to install the tactics_pi under this configuration, paying attention to what I need to load first.
Old 17-09-2017, 17:09   #30

Thankyou CaptnRon.
Sorry to hear sudo apt-get install opencpn* did not work. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this and figured out why? Is it the update to 4.8.0 perhaps?