Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2012, 13:02   #1

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
GALAXY 10.1 TABLET & NAVIGATION

OK,so I´ve ordered a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet and look forward to testing it with various navigation programs and utilities.

1. With a reasonably sized screen and the PocketCloud app. I can run all Windows based navigation programs already installed on both my laptop AND my desktop PC.
With PocketCloud Explorer I can move files around all three over Wi-Fi.

2. My preferred Android nav. prog. so far is OruxMaps which can use all my .KAP maps as well as previously collected .GPX and .KML Tracks. Furthermore,I can also import planned routes,optimized for wind and tidal streams using the OpenCPN compatible qtVlm Route Planner.

3. Not having yet sourced the docking station/keyboard for Galaxy 10.1 here in Brazil,I can run every aspect of my Galaxy from my large screen desktop PC using the great TeamViewer app. whenever I need a more lenghty editing and input,using keyboard and mouse.

I look forward to the day someone also makes OpenCPN available for Android.

More later .....

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yachtmarine_114 Oct. 24 17.59.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	48727  
Old 24-10-2012, 18:50   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: GALAXY 10.1 TABLET & NAVIGATION

Tore I've been interested in this tablet too. When you find out, let us know how it is on power and in sunlight please. Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 23:19   #3

Quote:
Digia is currently exploring Qt development for the Android and iOS platforms. More information on this coming very soon.
If this becomes a reality then qtVlm will immediately (well... almost immediately lol) work natively on Android and Iphones/Ipads.... Let's see.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:52   #4

Boat: On the Hard

MxMariner's next step is to include S57 support or at least thats what I heard.

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:26   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Here we can get Samsung Win 8 tablets starting after the weekend.

We will see the price point and then maybe go for one when our netbook dies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:27   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I say Win because I know Open CPN and other software may work on it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 07:44   #7

I opted for the Galaxy 10.1 version with Android 3.2 without 3G etc. as it was considerably cheaper. I have already downloaded and prepared the upgrade software to Android 4.04 and I will only use my Galaxy 10.1 within Wi-Fi environments.

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...ficial-110369/

I already have a large number of installed Win 7 programs on my laptop which I can easily access from my Galaxy 10.1 using TeamViewer.

Good news,Phillippe about the possibilities of QT going Android....I think more and more Win programs will shortly also go for Android.

Tore
Old 25-10-2012, 10:49   #8

I just came across an incredible application which creates Android apps on-the-fly.

The name of the on-line (FREE?) program is CAPRIZE which basically records all your keystrokes from a selected URL and converts it to an Android/iPhone app which is run from an email received in your mobile using your favorite browser.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yachtmarine_115 Oct. 25 15.36.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	48776  
Old 25-10-2012, 13:05   #9

Correction.... The program mentioned in my last post is CAPRIZA and you can access it here: https://www.capriza.com/profile/

So far I´ve only played with it a couple of times but it looks interesting.

Tore
Old 26-10-2012, 13:40   #10

Not being at all familiar with this new Android environment,I am having difficulties with the filing system. I have a lot of apps. on my Galaxy S II I want to copy over to the Galaxy 10.1 when it arrives,but have some difficulties first of all FINDING the directories where the apps are stored. Whenever possible,I have stored the apps on my removable card,but many are also residing in the phone area.

Is it possible to just copy the apps(APK) over,or, do I have to do a total new installation? If the former,any special file app I should use?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-26-16-01-21.png
Views:	192
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	48816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-26-16-01-32.png
Views:	188
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	48817  

Old 26-10-2012, 13:49   #11

I have an Android phone (Rugby Smart) and tablet (Asus Transformer Prime with keyboard dock).

For whatever it's worth the only thing I've put on is mxmariner and dragqueen (anchor alarm), both are installed on both devices. It's kind of nice because if you buy someone in the google play store it's "yours", so you can put it on multiple devices.

There should be a file browser that comes with the operating system, it's relatively easy to find the directory of your application as it's generally just off the root of the device's media.

I've never really futzed with my stuff enough for real navigation, as I still stick with paper and pencil for underway activities. I'll have to try that OruxMaps thing though; looks like it has great reviews. Even if it's just something to check out or use for planning that would be nice.

Not sure if you're a music guy, but I have this speaker too which is nice. Hooks up via Bluetooth and has maybe 5 hours of juice in it. You can splice the AC charger right into 12v as well (it takes 12v input charge), although to be honest I haven't done that one yet. Great for taking to the beach, putting in the cockpit, etc.

Amazon.com: SuperTooth Disco High Power Bluetooth Stereo Speaker: Cell Phones & Accessories
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 14:09   #12

rebel heart..

OK,so you think once you´ve paid for an app,you can download it again and again without additional charge? Never thought about that,but makes sense.

I have several file browsers and doing a google I found differing answers to app locations,mine being quite different.

OruxMaps is a great app. mainly because you can use all your existing .kap maps freely. Just download the OruxMaps Desktop and it will do the conversion for you.
Furthermore it is tailored to accept .kml files from qtVlm,the route optimizing program using wind and tidal information.

I also find the general interface convenient and easy to use. I am also in direct contact with the developer.

Sure,love music,and have recently purchased a mini movie theatre speaker assembly which works off my Galaxy SII AND my desktop PC. Your speaker sounds good.

I am a retired navigations officer from the Norwegian merchant fleet,now living in Costa Verde,Brazil, but also an avid yachtsman from 20 years sailing in UK waters.
Presently I am mainly providing maritime consultancy and assisting with the development of navigation utilities here.

Tore
Old 26-10-2012, 14:15   #13

Yep, buy it once, install on multiple devices. I'm not sure if that means an unlimited amount, but at least for my phone and tablet I haven't had any problems. When I bring up the application in the Google Play store that I bought on one device, it says "Purchased" on the other, and then I can just install it no cost. I do a lot of business via my phone and tablet so some of the pricier applications (Touchdown email, etc) it was nice to not have to pay twice for.

If you get that OruxMaps thing working well for offshore/international use I'd love to hear about it. There is great software out there but the charts are always the hiccup it seems. Even OpenCPN, as great as it is, I'm still stuck needing to get charts for all over the world.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 12:43   #14

Eric...

Got my Galaxy 10.1 Tab. It had problems connecting to the internet and could not find the satellites either. So, I initiated Kie from Samsung to see if I could upgrade to Android 4.04. Everything went fine until the upgrade stopped half way...

I had forgotten to set the USB Debugging to ON.

All the messages I get now on my Galaxy 10.1 is:
"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue
Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

Problem is,Kies can no longer connect to the Tab´s USB and I am f...ed!!

In desperation I tried using ODIN with the latest Android 4.04 installation file.
Odin found the USB and COM port and commenced uploading but stopped about half way through. About 50% of the blue upload indicator line is visible on the Tablet.

Anybody have suggestions which might help?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yachtmarine_116 Oct. 27 17.47.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	48856  
Old 27-10-2012, 13:20   #15

Boat: Hylas 47
Tore,
You will probably run into the same problem that I did running Team Viewer. The Android TV app requires a constant connection to the Internet to function - even if you are just connecting to a computer on your boat's LAN. Very frustrating, because other than this deal killing issue, and it works great.

Greg
gdavids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation