Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 18:46   #166

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Development Debugging Environment - Setup Help

How to keep track of what development plugins have been updated, and/or merged on GitHub

for example Jean Pierre's improvements on the new enhanced Grib_pi.dll
for a Compact Grib Control Dialog
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/p...mment-17094058

Pavel suggested that we register and sign up for a GitHub account, and Star and watch our favorite developers, as a way of keeping track of process.
https://github.com/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:56   #167

Boat: Najad 34

Hello, I need a little help and lessons for how to add a plugin.
I had a working repository with some branches with my own changes. Then I wanted to ad Seans new Watchman_pi and tried to follow some advices and wifi's to fetch or pull. I found Git rather complex so eventually it ended with a total disaster to all built and repository. Now I've made a new local repository in this way:
Code:
My steps so far:
1) Clone the origin 3.3.424
    git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
        Result: 100% done
2) Configured
    Made ../Build
    cmake -G "Visual Studio 10“ ..
        Result: Conf. done; Gener. done --ok
3) Compiled 
    cmake build ..
        Result: OK No error
4) Copied all directories needed to debug. 
5) Debuged in VS10
        Result: Debug ok Version 3.3.424 exit code:0

C:\Builds\OpenCPN\OpenCPN>git status
# On branch master
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_CHINESETW.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_CZECH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_DANISH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_DUTCH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_FINNISH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_FRENCH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_GERMAN.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_ITALIAN.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_NORWEGIAN.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_POLISH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_PORTUGUESE.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_PORTUGUESEBR.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_RUSSIAN.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_SPANISH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_SWEDISH.nsh
#       buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/Langstrings_TURKISH.nsh
#       src/opencpn.rc
nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)
My next step is to make a branch where I make my own changes but first I suppose I've to commit the untracked files, created by the debug, above?
But most important now is:
I want to add a new plugin: https://github.com/seandepagnier/watchman_pi
Could anyone please serve me the procedures to add that plugin so I can build it for Win32.

Thanks Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55   #168

Hi Hakan, You did well above!
I usually don't pay much attention to the untracked files above as they are language files, but if you want to pull them in, you might try a Git Pull, but that will overwrite and obliterate any changes you have made in your repository! Pavel may have more.

To GIT and Compile Plugins:
1. In the Run Cmd window, cd to opencpn-git directory. Then cd plugins.
2. Issue Git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/watchman_pi.git
3. Check the new directory under plugins watchman_pi
4. cd ..
5. cd build
6. cmake .. (2 periods)
7. cmake --build . (1 period)
8. MSVC10 C++ with opencpn.sln
9. Set as startup project.
10. Set as DEBUG (or RELEASE) in header and then Build the files.
11. Then copy the *.dll file for the given plugin out two directories.

Quote:
COPY opencpn-git/build/plugins/watchman_pi/DEBUG/watchman_pi.dll (should have current date and if it does not exist it did not compile) TO opencpn-git/build/plugins/ directory
Quote:
Note that if you want a "Release" plugin.dll, run MSVC "Build" after setting the MSVC header to "Release", if no errors, then go to opencpn-git/build/plugins/watchman_pi/DEBUG/watchman_pi.dll and copy the new *.dll to a plugin directory in your program version of Opencpn.
11. If no errors then Debug> Start Debug mode. Test Watchman and report errors, breaks, using the "Call Stack" (Pick Expert Setup and it will be in lower right) -Select all & then copy and paste to email or whatever.
12. If it does not compile and there are errors. Copy the Output window and paste to report.

Hope that helps... any more questions, just ask.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31   #169

Rick.. Many thanks for your answer, appreciated!

Well, this time your points 1 to 10 was fine. But no ...pi.dll file is produced.
I tried to make release > a lot of errors. And rebuilt created this:
Code:
..\src\options.cpp(73): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
..\src\options.cpp(73): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
..\src\options.cpp(73): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
..\src\options.cpp(142): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'
..\src\options.cpp(142): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
..\src\options.cpp(142): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
..\src\options.cpp(1595): error C2227: left of '->GetNumFonts' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(1597): error C2227: left of '->GetDialogString' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(1599): error C2227: left of '->GetConfigString' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(1599): error C2227: left of '->StartsWith' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
..\src\options.cpp(2089): error C2227: left of '->Destroy' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(2091): error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'TTYWindow'
..\src\options.cpp(2093): error C2227: left of '->SetTitle' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(2099): error C2227: left of '->SetSize' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(2101): error C2227: left of '->Show' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(2827): error C2227: left of '->GetFont' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(2828): error C2227: left of '->GetFontColor' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(2845): error C2227: left of '->SetFont' must point to class/struct/union/generic type
          type is 'int *'
..\src\options.cpp(3051): error C2065: 'OCPN_Sound' : undeclared identifier
..\src\options.cpp(3051): error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'AIS_Sound'
..\src\options.cpp(3051): error C2065: 'AIS_Sound' : undeclared identifier
..\src\options.cpp(3052): error C2065: 'AIS_Sound' : undeclared identifier
..\src\options.cpp(3052): error C2228: left of '.Create' must have class/struct/union
          type is ''unknown-type''
..\src\options.cpp(3054): error C2065: 'AIS_Sound' : undeclared identifier
..\src\options.cpp(3054): error C2228: left of '.IsOk' must have class/struct/union
          type is ''unknown-type''
..\src\options.cpp(3055): error C2065: 'AIS_Sound' : undeclared identifier
..\src\options.cpp(3055): error C2228: left of '.Play' must have class/struct/union
          type is ''unknown-type''
..\src\options.cpp(3058): error C2065: 'AIS_Sound' : undeclared identifier
..\src\options.cpp(3058): error C2228: left of '.IsPlaying' must have class/struct/union
          type is ''unknown-type''
..\src\options.cpp(3058): fatal error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation
Generating Code...
========== Rebuild All: 5 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
And still no .dll file (of course?)
Next step is maybe to try solve the errors in option.cpp?
Any other hints ?
Håkan
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39   #170

Hakan,

1. I think first try some known plugins that work with Windows, to give you satisfaction with the process and some good experience.
2. Then try this plugin again.

I believe Sean has made this plugin just for Linux, and it has not been prepared for Windows. The OS go like this (least picky to most pickly) Linux - Windows - Mac.
I do not have experience debugging plugins for Windows, other than to produce the Output and the Call Stacks that have the problem (lines) of code. Linux runs merrily along while Windows takes awhile to debug because it is picky.

Perhaps you have enough knowledge to do this? And maybe I can learn from your experience too. We do need to get more people with this experience to have robust development. I know Sean is able to fix these, but he is very very busy and about to leave for awhile. We need to get climatology files done before he leaves.
I think it is absolutely great you are getting into this, perhaps Sean will help you out with debugging for Windows to get you started....I'll try to help after Climatology is done.

Also just down below in the next post is a long description for Windows XP,7 & 8 OS, to install VirtualBox 4.12.2 and then Ubuntu 12.04LTS and then Opencpn for Linux, so that we can operate in both ways! Nohal (Pavel) helped me out with this setup. You might try doing that to run the Watchman.

I am happy to say VB and Ubuntu with Opencpn now appears to be working with access to shared windows charts folder, after some effort and redo. I hope to use it go get climatology_pi running and compress big files for him.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40   #171

On Windows 7 (maybe XP and 8) setup
Ubuntu 12.04LTS in VirtualBox 4.2.12 for Windows Hosts
to run Opencpn for Linux and development

Many thanks to Pavel, for all of his help!!!!
Purpose:
With Windows OS, to be able to run Linux Opencpn for development purposes and to enable greater availability of plugins.

Summary:
Host machine has Windows OS, install VirtualBox to create a 'virtual machine' with 512mb-1gb memory and 8-12gb of hard disk, into which Ubuntu 12.04 is installed. Then provide guest additions so that some Windows sub-directories can be shared with Ubuntu.

Process:
Install VirtualBox 4.2.12 for Windows hosts https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Install Ubuntu 12.04LTS in the Virtual Box. Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
If you have a Windows 64 bit machine, use 64 bit Virtual Box and Ubuntu.

VirtualBox with Ubuntu VirtualBox with Ubuntu

VirtualBox – Install Ubuntu 12.04
VirtualBox Install Ubuntu 12.04

Why Install Guest Additions?
Share clipboard and directories between host and guest.
Also hardware display acceleration and increase screen resolution.
Ubuntu 12.04 -Installing Virtualbox Guest Additions Ubuntu 12.04 – Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions | Complete, Concrete, Concise

Ubuntu 12.04 -Enabling Shared Folders Under Virtualbox
Ubuntu 12.04 – Enabling Shared Folders Under VirtualBox | Complete, Concrete, Concise

Ubuntu 12.04 - Adding a Shared Folder under VirtualBox
Ubuntu 12.04 – Adding a Shared Folder Under VirtualBox | Complete, Concrete, Concise
After you close if this error occurs: Failed to create the shared folder Data-Dart (pointing to C:\Data-Dart) for the virtual machine... Cannot create a transient shared folder on the machine in the saved state. Result Code: VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80BB0002)
Try to reinstall Shared Folders again, it will uninstall and reinstall and leave a round cd on your taskbar to the left.

Installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Guest Additions in Virtual Box
https://sites.google.com/site/iancha...nsinvirtualbox

Video How to Install Guest Additions to Ubuntu 12.04LTS

Ubuntu 12.04LTS Documentation https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/index.html
Why install Virtualbox extension pack? (I have not installed it)
  1. The virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device; see the section called “USB settings”.
  2. VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP) swupport; see the section called “Remote display (VRDP support)”.
  3. Intel PXE boot ROM with support for the E1000 network card.
  4. Experimental support for PCI passthrough on Linux hosts; see the section called “PCI passthrough”.
Download VB 4.2.12 Extension Pack https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Installing VirtualBox Extension Pack https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...tro-installing
Installing VB Extension Pack for 4.00 https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewto...p?f=24&t=36752

Installing Opencpn

With VM open and Ubuntu running .

Download Source Code for Opencpn

Top left icon Dash and click. Type "Terminal", select it and in Terminal

Git Setupgit config --global user.name "John Doe"
git config --global user.email johndoe@example.comgit config --list to check the settings.
git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git opencpn-git
Counting object//16384, Compressing 4797 objects, done, Receives objects, done.
Resolving deltas, done.
after many objects...completes.make
(creates opencpn-git in User dir)

Then find the new opencpn-git directory in the folder.
cd opnecpn-git
git pull
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../
make

sudo make install

This command puts all the files in the right places for a real install
Your executable will get installed to /usr/local/bin, your plugins to /usr/local/lib/opencpn etc.
A "DLL" has .so extension in Linux, an "EXE" has no extension at all, but has an executable attribute set.

By setting the VM Guest Additions with Shares (as noted above) you will be able to access your charts and other data on your windows data folders, copy and paste didirectional windows-linux, operate your mouse easily in both environments, and be able to make your Opencpn full screen.

Then you need to Git the various plugins that you want, issue the cmake, make and make install again to compile etc.

Go to the plugin subdirectory in your OpenCPN source tree to issue these.
Quote:
Weatherfax git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weatherfax_pi.git
Celestial Navigation git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/celestial_navigation_pi.git
WMM -- git clone git://github.com/nohal/wmm_pi.git
WMM -- git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/wmm_pi.git
VDR -- git clone git://github.com/SethDart/vdr_pi.gitcd
SAR -- git clone git://github.com/SaltyPaws/SAR_pi.git
Log Konni -- git clone git://github.com/konnibe/LogbookKonni-1.2.git
Calculator -- git clone git://github.com/SaltyPaws/calculator_pi.git
SAR -- git clone git://github.com/SaltyPaws/SAR_pi.git
Climatology -- git clone git://github.com/seandepagniger/climatology_pi.git
Weather_routing -- git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi.git
Watchman_pi -- git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/watchman_pi.git
Rtlsdr_pi -- git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/rtlsdr_pi.git
Grib_pi -- should be in the main branch.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Hakan,

1. I think first try some known plugins that work with Windows, to give you satisfaction with the process and some good experience.
2. Then try this plugin again.......
Thanks Rick. I'll see what I can do in a couple of days or so. I'm about to leave this harbour and it will probably take some days before a proper network is found. /Håkan
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38   #173

Corrected:

Climatology -- git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/climatology_pi.git
Old 03-05-2013, 17:18   #174

Post #168 corrected:

Quote:
Note that if you want a "Release" plugin.dll, run MSVC "Build" after setting the MSVC header to "Release", if no errors, then go to opencpn-git/build/plugins/watchman_pi/RELEASE/watchman_pi.dll and copy the new *.dll to a plugin directory in your program version of Opencpn.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:01   #175

In VB and Ubuntu, running Opencpn, Climatology plugin compiles but does not appear in the list. The Opencpn log has this

Code:
14:04:51 EDT:         /usr/local/lib/opencpn
      14:04:51 EDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn:       /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libwatchman_pi.so
      14:04:51 EDT:   /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libwatchman_pi.so Version       detected: 108
      14:04:51 EDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn:         /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libclimatology_pi.so
        14:04:51 EDT: Error:         /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libclimatology_pi.so: undefined symbol:         BZ2_bzReadClose
      14:04:51 EDT:    PlugInManager: Cannot load         library: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libclimatology_pi.so         /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libclimatology_pi.so: undefined symbol:         BZ2_bzReadClose
      14:04:51 EDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn:       /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libSAR_pi.so
      14:04:51 EDT:   /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libSAR_pi.so Version       detected: 108
      14:04:51 EDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn:       /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libcalculator_pi.so
      14:04:51 EDT:   /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libcalculator_pi.so Version       detected: 108
      14:04:51 EDT: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn:       /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libvdr_p
It appear to not be reading BZ2 format for some reason.
Remembered that Sean said he installed wxWidgets 2.9 and then 2.8 and he has Linux. However I followed the Linux Developer instructions and there were no instructions to specifically install wxWidgets... and I did not installl widgets. as in Windows! there is one directory with wx files about 10.

The other plugins work, so I think wxwidgets is fine.... but have I missed something?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:32   #176

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick...
You actually did install wxwidgets and a lot of other dependencies, it was just much easier than it is on Windows (refer to that "long sudo apt-get install..." line at the beginning of the compile instructions).
Are you sure you are using latest climatology_pi source which has http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1227170 applied?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:39   #177

I'm having a problem with git

VirtualBox:~$ cd opencpn-git

VirtualBox:~/opencpn-git$ git branch -v
* master 656d631 Define PlugIn API 1.10 Route and Waypoint support

VirtualBox:~/opencpn-git$ git fetch --all
Fetching origin
fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
github.com: Name or service not known
error: Could not fetch origin

VirtualBox:~/opencpn-git$

When I do git branch -v
* master 656d631 Define PlugIn API 1.10 Route and Waypoint support

Tried rebooting, same problem. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2013, 18:15   #178

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick...
What does
Code:
ping www.google.com
say? Might be pretty much anything - from problem on github's side, misconfiguration of the VM, network settings, broken DNS of your Internet provider all the way to your neighbour trying some bad voodoo...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:16   #179

You're suggestion is exactly right. I had no Internet connection through VirtualBox for Ubuntu. After turning off network under VB settings and then turning it on, Git works properly.
It was a puzzle, but next time I will know the behavior.

Tbanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56   #180

Win7 with Ubuntu 12.04LTS using VirtualBox 4.2.12 for Windows Hosts
to run Opencpn for Linux and development

I've spent two+ days trying compile Climatolgoy Data for Sean. I get errors, but it appears Wind data is being read properly using Guest Additions for data on my Windows C:/Data/Climate-Wind/ files (in VB Ubuntu you should be able to access this I believe, by using "media/sf_Data/Climate-Wind/" .

For example from Ubuntu, when we try
$ ls /media/sf_Data-Dart/Climate-Current-Active/oscar_vel7047.nc ls: cannot access /media/sf_Data-Dart/Climate-Current-Active/oscar_vel7047.nc: No such file or directory
$ ls /media/sf_Data-Dart/Climate-Current-Active/oscar_vel7047.nc ls: cannot access /media/sf_Data-Dart/Climate-Current-Active/oscar_vel7047.nc: No such file or directory rgleason@rgleason-VirtualBox:~$ HOWEVER the file does exist in a directory on the Windows C:\Data-Dart\Climate-Current-Active oscar_vel7047.nc,gz

Same thing is occurring for the 'Current' files that are alos needed.

It appears my Guest Services are not working correctly.

In Oracle VM VirtualBox > Devices > CD/DVD > VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is checked. (This file is located C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) I unchecked that box, and Ubuntu uninstalled Guest Addditions, then I checked it again, and had to enter the superuser password, and it reinstalled Guest Additions with new downloaded software.

Hopefully this will work properly now, after I close Vbox and Ubuntu and restart.

Tags
environment